[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Whitney Houston dead at age 48

tazinib1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad. Is there a cause of death? I'm guessing drug related, but who knows?

As of right now, they don't suspect alcohol and found pill bottles. I've heard rumors that she drowned in the tub.

Oh please, let's not go overboard here. Talented, sure, but if that's the greatest voice you ever heard, then your radio, CD and MP3 players are all fubarred.

I am no Houston fan per se and never bought any of her albums but I will admit she probably had the best voice I ever heard as well. The range and just absolute clarity she had was astounding. From a perspective of just tonality and clarity, if she was not the best she had to be on a very, very short list. Who has been better in terms of pure voice?

I am no Houston fan per se and never bought any of her albums but I will admit she probably had the best voice I ever heard as well. The range and just absolute clarity she had was astounding. From a perspective of just tonality and clarity, if she was not the best she had to be on a very, very short list. Who has been better in terms of pure voice?

It is a short list if you're going to limit it to tonality and clarity. If you want to broaden it somewhat to include emotion and ability to engage, I'd suggest some of these should be in the discussion:

Karen Carpenter

Edith Piaf

Diana Ross

Maddy Prior

Aretha Franklin

Kate Bush

Sandy Denny

Tina Turner

Gladys Knight

And on and on..........

Maybe it's just because nothing she ever did engaged me at all. I found it all to be uninteresting MoR pap.

It is a short list if you're going to limit it to tonality and clarity. If you want to broaden it somewhat to include emotion and ability to engage, I'd suggest some of these should be in the discussion:

Karen Carpenter

Edith Piaf

Diana Ross

Maddy Prior

Aretha Franklin

Kate Bush

Sandy Denny

Tina Turner

Gladys Knight

And on and on..........

Maybe it's just because nothing she ever did engaged me at all. I found it all to be uninteresting MoR pap.

I'd throw Mariah Carey in there too. Loved her cover of I'll be There from MTV Unplugged.

Karen Carpenter

Edith Piaf

Diana Ross

Maddy Prior

Aretha Franklin

Kate Bush

Sandy Denny

Tina Turner

Gladys Knight

And on and on..........

Yeah, I don't think you'll find many here who will say that Whitney's style of music was their cup of tea... As for my favorite singers it's gotta be her godmother Aretha Franklin and Stevie Wonder....

But while other artists can get up and down to the notes she could hit, I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone able to do it all so naturally. Just seemed effortless, yet incredibly powerful.

On that list (In my limited experience of course) I would put Whitney Houston, Christina Aguilera, Maria Carey, Barbara Streisand, Celine Dion, Etta James, Aretha Franklin. Maybe Linda Rondstat. On pure vocal ability I think

! deserves a mention but I am aware her style turns off a lot of folks.

There are probably a few more that deserve mention, but it's a pretty short list to be sure.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Oh please, let's not go overboard here. Talented, sure, but if that's the greatest voice you ever heard, then your radio, CD and MP3 players are all fubarred.

This of course is my opinion which is why I said I have ever heard. I truly believe and stand behind what I posted. I have never heard a voice as big as hers that had that kind of range. Mariah can sing higher but nowhere near as big and with tone. She had a voice that stopped you in your tracks. I dont need to open up my musical horizons. I have been a fan of music all of my life . I just think her voice was above and beyond the best .

This of course is my opinion which is why I said I have ever heard. I truly believe and stand behind what I posted. I have never heard a voice as big as hers that had that kind of range. Mariah can sing higher but nowhere near as big and with tone. She had a voice that stopped you in your tracks. I dont need to open up my musical horizons. I have been a fan of music all of my life . I just think her voice was above and beyond the best .

I agree with you 100% as well Whomp. You may not be a fan of Whitney's but nobody can compare when it comes to a pure voice and the notes she could hit. The only 2 singers that are remotely close are Mariah and Celine Dion. Whitney was flat out amazing and that just cannot be denied.