[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Whitney Houston dead at age 48

tazinib1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my opinion of her is jaundiced by the appalling "I Will Always Love You", surely one of the worst records in the history of popular music.

I think the Dolly Parton original is sweet and has a tinge of heartbreak to it, unlike the bombast and flourish delivered by Houston.

To each his own but...

I don't believe anyone can seriously say there are many if any singers who blow Whitney away in her hayday.

This.

Whitney had perfect pitch, pre drugs, which is why she was a mega star. You can hate on a few songs but nonetheless, she sang them perfectly when she had all of her faculties. She was an awful dancer but she could sing with the best that ever sang.

I like several better but it goes to personal preference. There are but a handful that had her pitch.

It is a short list if you're going to limit it to tonality and clarity. If you want to broaden it somewhat to include emotion and ability to engage, I'd suggest some of these should be in the discussion:

Karen Carpenter

Edith Piaf

Diana Ross

Maddy Prior

Aretha Franklin

Kate Bush

Sandy Denny

Tina Turner

Gladys Knight

And on and on..........

Maybe it's just because nothing she ever did engaged me at all. I found it all to be uninteresting MoR pap.

Add Annie Haslam, Diana Krall, and Enya for voices, though not my favorite female vocalists.

I think the Dolly Parton original is sweet and has a tinge of heartbreak to it, unlike the bombast and flourish delivered by Houston.

dolly parton is another singer who is better than whitney was. so much more expressive range. whitney was a really good singer, no doubt. she could hit the notes, and had a gorgeous tone and timbre. but I certainly never bought any of her records and never had the slightest desire to. there are lots of more interesting singers out there.

When I saw the headline of Houston dying, I reacted kind of the same way when I heard Michael Jackson died. A lot of talent gone by the wayside, which to me, is sad, but not surprising in the least. I thank Jeebus and Allah that I don't have to go through the hell that must be addiction, as that is a demon I'd not want to face.

And there will be more. It makes me wonder who will be the next star to succumb to addiction.

DMD stated that he never liked her personally. I wonder about when he met her and what turned him off about her?

In was early 80's and I was partying with Rick James and Sam Kinison when Clive Davis came by our table and introduced her right before her first album. Seemed kind of stuck up to me. Don't remember much else about that trip.

dolly parton is another singer who is better than whitney was. so much more expressive range. whitney was a really good singer, no doubt. she could hit the notes, and had a gorgeous tone and timbre. but I certainly never bought any of her records and never had the slightest desire to. there are lots of more interesting singers out there.

I dont think any of us bought her records. The commentary is strictly based on her tools . I like Bonnie Raitt much more than Whitney . The conversation , to me, isnt about musical taste as much as its about her being the complete package as a singer

In was early 80's and I was partying with Rick James and Sam Kinison when Clive Davis came by our table and introduced her right before her first album. Seemed kind of stuck up to me. Don't remember much else about that trip.

:wacko: Knew this guy that worked for the Nuggets and Avalance, when Houston was doing a concert at the arena there was a big meeting and people were told not to even make eye contact with her just look down, He is the firstt Houston hater i met

I too, find myself more drawn to singers with more style than simply having chops. Not that DP didn't have chops, because she's enormously talented. But there is a genuine allure and charm that is inescapable. In that vein, my favorite female Jazz vocalists are Carmen McCrae and Shirley Horn, both of whom are known for having overcome less than remarkable range with their style and delivery. Nothing against Ella, who is obviously great, but the other two find it in to my rotation more often than she does.

I dont think any of us bought her records. The commentary is strictly based on her tools . I like Bonnie Raitt much more than Whitney . The conversation , to me, isnt about musical taste as much as its about her being the complete package as a singer

Probably very few of us have bought an album by any female pop singer. I can appreciate a good voice when it's on the radio or whatever, but I'm not going to put on a Whitney/Mariah/Madonna CD/playlist when I'm in the car or at the gym. I would guess most of us relate more to male singers.

She understandably had a few pitch issues singing the Star Spangled Banner live . . .

When did Houston do that?

EDIT: Nevermind. Although her Super Bowl version was fake, Houston apparently sang the anthem at a couple of other events.

Edited by Furd

Did I just read that Dolly Parton is a better singer than Whitney Houston? We can't be talking about the same Whitney Houston.

Whitney was the most talented vocalist I've ever heard. There's a reason that for the past 25 years, everybody has been trying to copy her sound, and nobody can get close. She could go big, small, high, low, and all points in between. Never heard anything like it.

Edited by Seahawks21