[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oh man, this is gonna be a disaster!

CaptainHook

With all these publicity it's getting, all these people watching and talking about it, the ratings, the more people that wanna watch just to see how stupid it gets next? Not a chance.

Agreed. By your excellent logic, here's what the league should implement, starting next week:

Every other play, the refs throw a flag regardless of whether or not a foul was committed. Then the coaches take turns per flag choosing one of 26 briefcases that are held by hot chicks in skimpy dresses. Inside each briefcase is a different penalty (roughing the kicker?? but that wasn't even a special teams play!. . . sorry coach, you did chose the case yourself). That penalty is enforced, but each coach gets 3 challenges per half. If the coach wants the penalty overturned, he has to navigate through an obstacle course suspended over a large lake-like pool of water, filled with greased poles and swinging pugil sticks.

Then, at halftime, each coach has a red rose that he can present to a player from the opposing team. If the player accepts the rose, he plays the 2nd half for the other team.

Also, there's a panel of judges made up players who were semi-famous but never very good who played in the league around 10 years ago (think Jason Sehorn or Martin Gramatica) who critique the players after each play. There's a large gong behind the judges and if they hit the gong, you're ejected from the game.

In the end, the winner of the game is decided by text message voting from the viewing public.

That'd grow the game.

Agreed. By your excellent logic, here's what the league should implement, starting next week:

Every other play, the refs throw a flag regardless of whether or not a foul was committed. Then the coaches take turns per flag choosing one of 26 briefcases that are held by hot chicks in skimpy dresses. Inside each briefcase is a different penalty (roughing the kicker?? but that wasn't even a special teams play!. . . sorry coach, you did chose the case yourself). That penalty is enforced, but each coach gets 3 challenges per half. If the coach wants the penalty overturned, he has to navigate through an obstacle course suspended over a large lake-like pool of water, filled with greased poles and swinging pugil sticks.

Then, at halftime, each coach has a red rose that he can present to a player from the opposing team. If the player accepts the rose, he plays the 2nd half for the other team.

Also, there's a panel of judges made up players who were semi-famous but never very good who played in the league around 10 years ago (think Jason Sehorn or Martin Gramatica) who critique the players after each play. There's a large gong behind the judges and if they hit the gong, you're ejected from the game.

In the end, the winner of the game is decided by text message voting from the viewing public.

That'd grow the game.

That or each set of refs has a junk yard in each endzone where they can throw any piece they choose onto the field during redzone plays. The players must navigate the random pieces of junk while trying to catch the ball or cover receivers. The lines judges are called "Dummies". When ever there is a question on the field they call Raulo in the booth who is on work furlough and constantly being accused of stealing the other teams signals and the coin from the toss. Each team of referees has an ugly mascot called Ester, and they all cringe when she walks on the field, as she beats the other refs making calls with a purse if they don't agree with the calls.

Challenges can be made by either coach by running to the 50 yard line, with one hand on his chest, and the other in the air as if having a heart attack, must move in a circle with one foot stationary screaming, "Im comin to join ya hunny, with a yella flag and an NFL fine"

The final decision is made by a man named Grady, who can barely see and can defer to the head lines judge called Julio for a second opinion who can barely speak english.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Jennings had it cradled to his body with his knee down and all Tate had was one hand touching it.

Not to mention uncalled pass interference on Tate as well.

I realize you are a media guy, but the particular TD play was probably not even close for the worst blown call on the last couple drives.

- Roughing the passer on Wilson was more horrendous

- Missing the defensive PI on TE Moore was horrendous

- Not calling offensive PI against Rice was horrendous

- And missing the offensive PI against Tate was horrendous (granted you noted this as part of the final play).

...and while it was a game that was being played before being fubared by the refs...the 3rd down call on Kam Chancellor for defensive PI in the 4th was horrendous...and completely changed the game before it was still being decided by players. That was actually the call that started the refs controlling the game.

The game was made, called, and directed by the refs waaay before the Tate catch/non-catch controversy.

Edited by bushwacked

PI is NEVER called on those jump ball plays. That said, the only thing Tate had possession of was the defender. If that's simultaneous possession, then so is almost every tackle ever made. What if the Players' Association decided they weren't going to play next week without the regular refs? Could they strike over working conditions?

The pass interference call was by far the bigger blown call IMO and it isn't close with that call being made nothing else matters.

The refs are terrible but it is funny how short peoples memories are the old ones were to.

The obvious difference, of course, is that the phantom PI call did not directly change the outcome of the game. Not sure how a blown call is much bigger than that.

The obvious difference, of course, is that the phantom PI call did not directly change the outcome of the game. Not sure how a blown call is much bigger than that.

I think he's referring to the non-call on the offensive PI by Golden Tate.

The missed PI call on Tate is much worse than the possession decision, much worse.

Missed calls throughout the ENTIRE game decide the outcome, not just one play. Sure it's magnified because it was the final play of the game, but every single missed called throughout the entire game changes the end result, and both teams are playing on the same field with the same referees. It's not like we're talking about a conspiracy where the refs are clearly making all the bad calls in a one-sided manner (like in the Steelers Super Bowl win :woot: ) The refs don't know the game and call it as best as they can for both teams so I think everyone should back off on the whining a bit.

The missed PI call on Tate is much worse than the possession decision, much worse.

Missed calls throughout the ENTIRE game decide the outcome, not just one play. Sure it's magnified because it was the final play of the game, but every single missed called throughout the entire game changes the end result, and both teams are playing on the same field with the same referees. It's not like we're talking about a conspiracy where the refs are clearly making all the bad calls in a one-sided manner (like in the Steelers Super Bowl win :woot: ) The refs don't know the game and call it as best as they can for both teams so I think everyone should back off on the whining a bit.

I don't think anyone is blaming the refs here. They are doing the best job they can and have had a very short time to prepare for a game that they are really not trained for. The fault here lies solely with the owners & Goodell IMHO.

NFL does not care, period. This won't change a thing.

Sadly I think you are right. As the ESPN guys at the game were discussing last night, and Young was saying the same thing. And all this mess creates more interest from the fans, so ratings are not going to drop.

I'm not usually into those "let's boycott it" plans, but maybe a one week boycott of the NFL by the fans. Don't go to games, don't watch on TV, don't buy anything NFL, etc. Maybe that would send a message. But I doubt enough fans could follow through. I think I could for a week, but not the rest of the season.

PS Azz, one hand touching the ball does not equal possession. As DMD said "I guess all you have to do is touch the ball when a defender intercepts it and you get possession." Or his follow up in post #59

rajn,

I disagre, the refs bear some of the blame. Sure they are doing their best, but their best is horrible in this case. First you have the one official indicating TD intially, the ref reviewing it and not reversing.

Also not sure but I thought a video review would take everything into account, and therefore they could have called the offensive PI, Maybe I've got that wrong confused with when a coach challenges "I don't think he got both feet inbounds" and refs review and look at all aspects of the play.

Either way, horrible call, bad officiating, refs are not prepared, NFL probably isn't going to budge, NFLRA will think they have more leverage. The players and fans will be screwed and this season will have a giant * next to it. If this continues I think some serious fans may be disgusted enough to stop watching.

NFL is now officially a joke.

Implying it already hasn't been for many years? lol.

Anyway, I thought the roughing call before that was even worse, though not as dramatic or directly game-changing.

Those next mtgs with refs and owners should be interesting.

I usually roll my eyes when people talk about boycotts and "I'm never buying/supporting/attending XXXX again!!!", but really if these guys are going to battle it out for 60 minutes and the outcome is just going to be random because the refs are incompetent, I don't think that situation is going to be sustainable before mass numbers of people tune out in disgust. At some point it dawns on you that you are watching a pointless contest that will not be decided fairly or accurately, and your time is better spent elsewhere.

I'm sure these facts are dawning on Goodell today. And if I'm representing the permanent officials, my demands just tripled, and I'm not in any hurry to get a deal done. Could you even imagine if this situation were to drag on into December and January? The refs could bring the NFL to its knees if they decide to really play hardball now.

Back in the day I made bets through a bookie. Bets were made on credit. If I won he paid up tuesday morning. If I lost he came round to collect. It would be tough to pay up on that game last night.

Why wouldn't you pay? They techinically lost. It's part of the game.

I have to be honest, when I saw it live, I couldn't tell if it was simultaneous posession but I told my buddy if it is it goes to the passer and that's what they called. Seeing it in replay, I say no way. It was a bad call, we've seen bad calls from normal refs. No guarantee the regular refs would have made this call correctly.

I want to see the regular refs back because I think they are better but I wouldn't be surprised if more than 1 set of refs blows this call.

The NFL has spoken, and stands by the ruling during the game

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000066164/article/nfl-supports-decision-to-not-overturn-seahawks-touchdown?module=HP11_breaking_news

some key points

- there was off PI

- on the field ruled as dual possession, awarded to offense

- possession is reviewable (only in the end zone)

- the ref was asked to review possession as well as feet in bounds, etc

- the ref felt there wasn't video evidence to overturn the dual possession

We get it, you have a clever username. Go away.

You messin with my man Referee?

I didn't hear about this until this morning. I was watching the end of the game in my bedroom but must not have been awake for the ending. I was shocked that the Pack didn't win the game until I heard this morning. I agree this will not end well.

I have to be honest, when I saw it live, I couldn't tell if it was simultaneous posession but I told my buddy if it is it goes to the passer and that's what they called. Seeing it in replay, I say no way. It was a bad call, we've seen bad calls from normal refs. No guarantee the regular refs would have made this call correctly.

All post-play analysis and Tuesday Morning Back Judging aside, this sums up the truth of the whole debacle.