[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

These Thursday games need to stop!

Shaft

For those of you saying you'll bench your folks, the crazy thing is that on Thanksgiving, none of this seems to apply. I never thought twice about starting players on Thanksgiving.

I agree, though, the Thursday night seems to be different for some reason. :shrug:

Week 13 might be an exception, though. Dallas at Minnesota, both will have played seven days prior.

Yup. All the guys I started on Thanksgiving did well.

The Colts probably would have done their usual thing if Luck had played.

There simply is not enough good football to go around. Showcasing a declining product as a stand alone game, especially on short rest and 2 poor teams - it is a disaster.

Now, last night's Denver/KC game was excellent football. It wouldn't matter what night you played that game...there simply isn't enough of the good football and strong defenses left in the league.

They need to evaluate and bury their bad football into the early Sunday games as much as possible.

Edited by gilthorp
  • Like 6

Where have I heard this before? :thinking:

Probably several times as I tend to be pessimistic.

Do you really believe the NFL is going to give up millions in revenue, for what to MAYBE get ratings back up to 2015 levels (no gaurantee there).

As I've said before, these TNF games are extra, the matchups would be invisible to most fans if played Sunday afternoons. The ratings for SNF/MNF even TNF were going up every year for the last few, did TNF games suddenly suck more, or fans suddenly get saturated after a few years and stop watching most of the primetime games (Sunday afternoon ratings are not really down).

Gilthorp is right there isn't enough good games, but you'll still have plenty of average to bad matchups on MNF, and some clunkers on SNF too. As well as featured slots on Sunday that blow. The product overall just isn't as good.

It seems the people who hate Thursday night games are fans who think they need to watch every single second that football is on television. No one is going to judge you as not being a hardcore football fan because you don't watch a televised game. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if there was an NFL game every night of the week. I like that I have the option to watch baseball or basketball any night I want during their season.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1

It seems the people who hate Thursday night games are fans who think they need to watch every single second that football is on television. No one is going to judge you as not being a hardcore football fan because you don't watch a televised game. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if there was an NFL game every night of the week. I like that I have the option to watch baseball or basketball any night I want during their season.

While I agree, I think you are comparing apples and oranges. A regular season in basketball is 82 games, and baseball is 162. When there are only 16 games, each game carries more weight and value. I also enjoy the tradition of Sunday games, and the impact that one day of games has across the league. There are very few meaningless games.

• Like 1

Someone just needs to figure out how to schedule Thursday night games with teams that had byes in the prior weeks. Obviously that means starting the Thursday night games later and not having them later in the season, but whatever. It's stupid.

I agree. Have the Thursday games only be for ten weeks. Make them for teams coming out of a bye who have been rested.

They would just have to give the Cowboys and Lions the bye before Thanksgiving so they would have their Thursday game scheduled then.

IMHO they should keep the Thursday night season opener and the Thanksgiving games but dump the rest.

I agree with that.

Cowboys and Vikings playing 2 Thurs in a row. Seems dumb

Dunno. They have we week off each, then they get 10 days. Sounds good to me.

• Like 2

Someone just needs to figure out how to schedule Thursday night games with teams that had byes in the prior weeks. Obviously that means starting the Thursday night games later and not having them later in the season, but whatever. It's stupid.

Yep, that's what DMD said earlier in this thread.

I agree with the whole watered down crowd. Most times there are just not enough quality matchups to have 3 primetime games on top of your typical Sunday schedule, especially come bye weeks. Honestly have seen maybe one Thursday game all year and find myself really not caring (other then how it still frustrates me when setting lineups).

The NFL is now denying that report of eliminating TNF: http://www.thewrap.com/thursday-night-football-nfl-tnf-nbc-cbs/

The whole report was rumor/conjecture from an unreliable source. To no suprise it was reported by Mike Florio of PFT whose site was long considered the NFL rumor mill (but got a bit better after he joined with NBC).

There may be fewer games, but they need a bunch for NFLN to show and remain viable and bring in revenue from TV subscribers. They have that "exclusive NFL game content" in their contracts with the TV carriers who are paying them a fee. If that goes away no contract or lower fee. They never planned to end that, but some who want TNF to go away decided that was the story.

To the point "only play on Thursdsay after a bye" that could be done but would add more restrictions to what is already a very complicated process.

I'm still trying to understand why teams are gassed and unprepared for most TNF games, but not usually the ones on Thanksgiving (that have been played for decades).

Played the MIN D (7) and Beasely (2) but my result this week is meaningless so no big deal. But that was a great game, these Thursday games should continue even if we only get 1-2 like this a year (MNF is not any better, and SNF is about 50% mediocre-bad games the last 1.5 years).

If they eliminate TNF(college games would benefit) I-d like it replaced with a Saturday night game.

Get the college games in Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Then start the NFL slate Saturday night.

So much easier on teams in general. And people have had their college fill by Saturday night.