[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What constitutes collusion?

phinsfan44

So, here's my scenario - I'm commish in a league I made for family and friends. It's my wife's first fantasy team. She picked David Johnson as first overall - not a good start haha. Anyway, she's trying to better her team of course, but doesn't know a lot yet on how to get what you need. She's ok at RB, but not great at WR. So she's trying to get a WR. There's a guy in the league (another new player) who's a big Steelers homer. I suggested she get a Steeler and trade with him. I ended up giving her Martavius and Ingram for Parker and Abdullah (didn't make a difference for me really). I did this specifically to give her a Steeler she could package in a trade to get Michael Thomas. She just offered him J-Stew and Bryant for Thomas. Have I meddled too much? I want to help my wife, but I don't want to do anything to look like collusion. It's just a free league, but still. What are your opinions?

I see this one differently. This is exactly collusion.

One owner is colluding with another owner to better their team. Yeah, the trade is fair in that in won't raise suspicion, but if the next move COULD raise suspicion because all of a sudden one owner moves the player to acquire another. And this collusion doesn't benefit both parties, but it could REALLY benefit one of the parties if she makes a trade with the player you guys colluded to get (specifically a Steelers player).

Especially when both owners are husband and wife.

Now, your owners may not care. But to me stuff like this can lead to issues down the road for a commish.

I face the same issue.  My 11 year old is in both of my leagues, one of which I'm commish.  Initially I had a trade review period so others could veto it.  But that added a full day, sometimes more to the trades and slowed it all down so I nixed it.  These guys are all diehards and it's a money league so I'm extra careful to never offer him lopsided trades.  in truth, he's pretty smart and he's just as competitive as me so we never trade with each other.

Regarding the wife, that's a little different.  You're indoctrinating somebody into a new environment with no money involved.  I see no problem helping her as long as it doesn't result in one team being far stronger than the other.

• Like 1

Well, the trade went through. The guy jumped on it within an hour of the offer. I'm trying to help my wife understand what to look for in a trade. I told her he's a Steelers fan, you should look for a Steeler to trade. It happened that I had a Steeler on my bench who I had no plans of playing. I told her this and we quickly agreed on the trade, with a couple pieces mixed in. I also felt bad for her team with the crappy injury. 

I think technically it's collusion because I was trying to help someone better their team by taking advantage of another player. But - the guy wanted it, so....I'm still a little unsure. I think, as long as everyone is good to go next year, I'll stay out of sticky situations like this in the future. But I appreciate the responses and I'm enjoying the discussion

18 minutes ago, flemingd said:

If you wouldn't have offered it to someone else you weren't hoping to sleep with it's collusion.

The trade with me? No, I'm happy with it. I think Parker has a better year than Bryant. Both similar receivers with all the physical gifts you could imagine, but with Cutler and Parker being BFFs apparently - he's gonna get A LOT of targets. And Cutler doesn't seem to care if his guy is triple covered. So to answer your question - yes I would have

It may in a small way be collusion since you're making trades to help your wife's team but it's a free league, and the trade was fair so frankly who cares. 

I view true collusion when 2 or more teams are purposefully attempting to stack one team in hopes that team will win and they split the earnings, or if one team doesn't care because his season is over and is giving really good players away to another owner. 

Similarly there's the experienced owner attempting to take advantage of a new player with lopsided trades. This should also be vetoed. 

16 hours ago, MikesVikes said:

I don't think you have to worry about collusion. I do think that you should let your wife run her team on her own though. Otherwise she will never be completely involved in the league if she thinks you are going to do it for her.

Explaining to her that the guy is a Steeler fan and she should get a Steeler to trade him was where it should have ended. Sounds like you then basically proposed the trade to give her Bryant (a piece she needed) to make the other trade.

If you're helping all the other owners in a similar fashion there may be no reason for concern.

But generally as commish you should avoid doing anything that can be considered shady. We have two commish in our league, one will not approve their own trades, the other must do it. If both commish are involved in the trade (not sure that's ever happened) we'd probably ask for an impartial observer to review and tell us its kosher.

6 hours ago, Briggssteel said:

It may in a small way be collusion since you're making trades to help your wife's team but it's a free league, and the trade was fair so frankly who cares.

I view true collusion when 2 or more teams are purposefully attempting to stack one team in hopes that team will win and they split the earnings, or if one team doesn't care because his season is over and is giving really good players away to another owner.

Similarly there's the experienced owner attempting to take advantage of a new player with lopsided trades. This should also be vetoed.

I hope by VETOED you mean by a commish, not by owners of the league (nobody benefits when 2 other teams trade so why approve it).

Lopsided trades are in the eyes of the beholder, been many a thread here about "is this fair" and have people asking "pretty much, which side do you think has a perceived edge?".

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I hope by VETOED you mean by a commish, not by owners of the league (nobody benefits when 2 other teams trade so why approve it).

Lopsided trades are in the eyes of the beholder, been many a thread here about "is this fair" and have people asking "pretty much, which side do you think has a perceived edge?".

I definitely mean by the commissioner. Trust me, I hate when petty fantasy owners veto trades as some sort of competitive strategy. It has nothing to do with them. At the same time someone trying to rob a player who's new to fantasy is also pretty crappy. I mean really lopsided trades by the way. I guess if the situation is explained to that owner, they disagree and can say why they want to make that trade it's ok with me. 

18 hours ago, Briggssteel said:

I definitely mean by the commissioner. Trust me, I hate when petty fantasy owners veto trades as some sort of competitive strategy. It has nothing to do with them. At the same time someone trying to rob a player who's new to fantasy is also pretty crappy. I mean really lopsided trades by the way. I guess if the situation is explained to that owner, they disagree and can say why they want to make that trade it's ok with me.

Good plan. We don't have much turnover or noobs so we don't have protect them for that.