[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RIP Marty Schottenheimer

Wolverines Fan

Just now, Bobby Brown said:

Horrible disease.  Lost my dad to it last summer.

Really sorry to hear that, just brutal.  How long of a road was it for him/you?

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

Horrible disease.  Lost my dad to it last summer.

Very sorry to hear that BB. My brother-in-law's dad passed after a very long battle with it this week. His funeral is tomorrow.

Edited by rajncajn

Sorry to hear things are getting worse for Marty, but in some cases the end can be a relief after long periods of suffering. (Having watched one parent suffer for a period and the other passing quickly from a stroke, I'll take the latter for them and their family every time.)

Hoping for the best over his final days, he was a great leader of the Browns when he was here, and I still rooted for him when he was with the Chiefs and Chargers, a real class act. Other than his one year in WAS he was around .600 winning percentage with the other 3 teams.

14 hours ago, irish said:

Really sorry to hear that, just brutal.  How long of a road was it for him/you?

It was the worst for my mom.  She was with him all the time.  He had moderate to bad memory loss for a couple years and then hung on with severe symptoms for about 4 years.  At least when he went downhill really bad it was quick.  

Thanks for the thoughts all.  

• Sad 1

Bummer. I started coming to The Huddle when Marty was the coach of the Chiefs. My original name here was Martyball.

Loved that guy - he and Carl Peterson rejuvenated the Chiefs and brought them back to relevance, which they have sustained to this day.  Sad for him and his family.

• Like 2

One of my favorite coaches of all time.  Marty seemed like a no-nonsense kind of guy who knew how to win no matter where he went.  Nobody has had more success with three different teams, for the longevity that he did, than Marty did.  14 seasons as an NFL head coach before he had a losing season.  21 seasons in total, yet only two losing season, hovering right around the .600 mark for the duration of his career.  Why he's not in the NFL HOF, I have no idea.  He has the most regular season wins in history (200) for a coach without a championship.  That's the only part of his career that might be holding him back.... he not only never won a SB, he never appeared in one.  And, his career playoff record was a mere 5 wins against 13 losses.  

Other than something happening to one of my kids, Alzheimers is probably one of my biggest fears.  It's a terrible disease that I hope we can one day soon find a cure for.  :(

On 2/4/2021 at 4:02 PM, Gopher said:

One of my favorite coaches of all time.  Marty seemed like a no-nonsense kind of guy who knew how to win no matter where he went.  Nobody has had more success with three different teams, for the longevity that he did, than Marty did.  14 seasons as an NFL head coach before he had a losing season.  21 seasons in total, yet only two losing season, hovering right around the .600 mark for the duration of his career.  Why he's not in the NFL HOF, I have no idea.  He has the most regular season wins in history (200) for a coach without a championship.  That's the only part of his career that might be holding him back.... he not only never won a SB, he never appeared in one.  And, his career playoff record was a mere 5 wins against 13 losses.  

Other than something happening to one of my kids, Alzheimers is probably one of my biggest fears.  It's a terrible disease that I hope we can one day soon find a cure for.  :(

The knock on Marty including after he was let go by the Chargers was "he could not win the big one" which I think is unfair as winning a title is hard and relies on a complete team effort, not one player or the head coach. I really appreciate what he did for the Browns when I was first a fan of this team. I rooted for him with the Chiefs and Chargers.

Marty passed away sometime Monday..."there's a gleam men"

2 hours ago, loaf said:

what was the headline?

RIP Marty.

And BB sorry to read about your Dad

"Marty Schottenheimer, Who's Teams Wilted in the Post-Season, Dies at 77"

Truly one of the most unclassy things I've ever seen from a news headline

• Sad 1