[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mac Jones starting for NE means...

irish

21 minutes ago, irish said:

Yeah, this has been reported for at least a week now and is true. 

Could some of that simply be the rookie getting time in situations in pre-season that are more critical to his development, than a veteran who was in the system last year. (Or did their offense totally change.) 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Could some of that simply be the rookie getting time in situations in pre-season that are more critical to his development, than a veteran who was in the system last year. (Or did their offense totally change.) 

I took from it that a Rookie who just started figured out the offense faster than Cam. Cam has the physical skills, but the preparation and mental game may be missing. 

21 minutes ago, mitpdub said:

I took from it that a Rookie who just started figured out the offense faster than Cam. Cam has the physical skills, but the preparation and mental game may be missing. 

That's exactly right, however, I think his physical skills are lacking, especially in regard to passing accuracy. So combine those 2 and nobody wants him. 

On 8/27/2021 at 11:24 PM, stethant said:

Talk about one of the dumbest things a white man can say - and I say that as a white man. I mean how transparently racist can you get? Not sure if he gets a mulligan or we burn him at the stake.

NOthing he said is racist, be it implicit or explicit.  

The word has been abused and bastardized to mean something it doesnt.  

Here's a quote form the guy, who may or may not be a total jackwad.  

"

I was trying to evaluate Cam through the process of his first couple of throws, and I blamed music for being a distraction in his preparation in between a couple of throws he had. And I reference the genre of rap that was being played. That's something I know that's drawn attention for being racially insensitive. I’m sorry for that comment. I didn't need to make that comment. I should not even ever bring any sort of music into play, because I have no clue what’s going on in a player’s head.

NFL POWER RANKINGS: Where the Patriots fall among NFL's best

Zolak's initial comments came during a Thursday appearance on 98.5 The Sports Hub. He claimed that the rap music was "distracting" Newton between his throws.

"I'd turn off the rap music first of all, because I think it's distracting for Cam," Zolak said. "In between every throw, he's dancing. He makes a throw and the music’s still cranking."

Zolak also said Newton wasn't taking his return to action seriously enough after a five-day absence due to a violation of the NFL's COVID protocols.

Video: Could Mac Jones start over Cam Newton in Week 1? Giardi, Ross weigh in (NFL)

"He came out [after his absence], he's still jacking around," Zolak said of Newton. "It just looks like Mac came to work today and he didn't.""

Apology or no, the guys a jerk or no, but there's nothing racist about that.  

• Like 2

I don't think it's racist either but everyone is so sensitive and looking for something that's not there. He was listening to rap music and he was dancing. Zolak perceived that as a distraction which apparently it was because he couldn't focus on the playbook. He knew ever word to the song though. So what's the issue? Zolak is just guilty of saying what he observed. 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2021 at 5:44 PM, FinishTheDrill said:

NOthing he said is racist, be it implicit or explicit.  

The word has been abused and bastardized to mean something it doesnt.  

Here's a quote form the guy, who may or may not be a total jackwad.  

"

I was trying to evaluate Cam through the process of his first couple of throws, and I blamed music for being a distraction in his preparation in between a couple of throws he had. And I reference the genre of rap that was being played. That's something I know that's drawn attention for being racially insensitive. I’m sorry for that comment. I didn't need to make that comment. I should not even ever bring any sort of music into play, because I have no clue what’s going on in a player’s head.

NFL POWER RANKINGS: Where the Patriots fall among NFL's best

Zolak's initial comments came during a Thursday appearance on 98.5 The Sports Hub. He claimed that the rap music was "distracting" Newton between his throws.

"I'd turn off the rap music first of all, because I think it's distracting for Cam," Zolak said. "In between every throw, he's dancing. He makes a throw and the music’s still cranking."

Zolak also said Newton wasn't taking his return to action seriously enough after a five-day absence due to a violation of the NFL's COVID protocols.

Video: Could Mac Jones start over Cam Newton in Week 1? Giardi, Ross weigh in (NFL)

"He came out [after his absence], he's still jacking around," Zolak said of Newton. "It just looks like Mac came to work today and he didn't.""

Apology or no, the guys a jerk or no, but there's nothing racist about that.  

Saying a black man can't concentrate on the task at hand because he's listening to rap music and dancing around is racist. Full stop. You want to call it "racially insensitive" then fine.  

We are not playing this game anymore. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, stethant said:

Saying a black man can't concentrate on the task at hand because he's listening to rap music and dancing around is racist. Full stop. You want to call it "racially insensitive" then fine.  

No, it isnt.  In the least.  

Words matter.   Its not racist.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stethant said:

He's an A-Hole, not a racist. Where exactly did he say a "black man can't concentration on the task at hand because he's listening to rap music"? I must have missed that quote. Black or White he obviously COULDN'T focus on the "task at hand" because he didn't know the playbook as good as his rookie counterpart. Racially insensitive because he said "rap music", ok. Except white people like rap music as well and Cam was dancing and raping, no? Most would be fired for dancing and raping at work. I imagine that it is indeed hard to focus on anything while dancing and raping. "We are not playing this game anymore" Who's not playing what game?

Would Zolak have said this if it was a white QB? Would he have said it if the music wasn't rap?  I think that is why some will view it as racist. It was dumb for sure, 

Here's a question I would have for the team, why are players allowed to listen to music during practice to begin with, or choose what music is played. Are they all running around with headphones and their smart phones listening to that they want? Are they blaring music from the sideline and the QB or some other key player gets to decide what others hear? (Honestly I'd destroy the damn sound system if it was rap, but that's me cannot stand the stuff, maybe some here love it and hate my rock n roll.)

ESPN today saying the Niners traded up to best out the Pats from taking Mac Jones. Yet the Pats stayed put, and ended up with him anyway.

There was so much flak the Niners were getting should they really end up taking Jones at 3. It was in the news everyday, great job testing up, but Jones at 3 is a reach. SF is stupid if they traded all that more an immobile QB with a below average arm. Forget the fact he’s super accurate, smart, and makes good decisions. 
So how many now are thinking this was just Bill sending out counter thoughts and info so he could get his guy anyway ?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32192632/sources-san-francisco-49ers-trade-no-3-draft-pick-spurred-concern-new-england-patriots-moving-mac-jones

12 hours ago, stethant said:

I understand what he was saying,  it was just very poorly put. He didn't mean that because he's a black man or even that rap music was specifically the reason. He simply made an observation that Newton was clearly distracted from what he was doing and seemed more interested in dancing around and listening to music in between plays when he should be more focused for someone in his position. 

1 minute ago, rajncajn said:

I understand what he was saying,  it was just very poorly put. He didn't mean that because he's a black man or even that rap music was specifically the reason. He simply made an observation that Newton was clearly distracted from what he was doing and seemed more interested in dancing around and listening to music in between plays when he should be more focused for someone in his position. 

This 100%. He just worded it poorly, especially in today's thin skinned society.

• Like 1