[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seahawks

League_Champion

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

You must have the same Homer glasses that Stevo has. They have nowhere near the talent and aren't close to what the Rams or Cardinals are. 

Possible homer glasses; typically I'm guilty of being a homer pessimist. I certainly didn't say the Hawks are currently better than the Rams or Cardinals either.

I think most educated fans would agree that a healthy Wilson + Lockett+ Metcalf should be one of the better air attacks in the NFL, something is fundamentally flawed beyond talent.  And you do have a habit of making 'hot take' blanket statements without really knowing what you're talking about. 

Edited by Bobby Brown

12 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Possible homer glasses; typically I'm guilty of being a homer pessimist. I certainly didn't say the Hawks are currently better than the Rams or Cardinals either.

I think most educated fans would agree that a healthy Wilson + Lockett+ Metcalf should be one of the better air attacks in the NFL, something is fundamentally flawed beyond talent.  And you do have a habit of making 'hot take' blanket statements without really knowing what you're talking about. 

enhanced with a healthy Carson 

13 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Hang onto an aging Russ for a few more years. We'll see where that gets them. 

I'm a homer and I think the problem lies with Russell Wilson and to a lesser extent the OC. Russ is too enamored with the long ball. Admittedly he is one of the league's best deep passers, but he goes to the well way too often. How many times has Wilson dropped back, changed course to avoid the rush, and either sends the ball deep down the field or ends up getting the sack. The deep incomplete makes it difficult to move the chains and so they turn the ball over on downs and put the defense on the field. The sack makes a first down unlikely and so the defense is quickly back on the field. If Russ hits the deep ball, the Hawks score quickly and puts the defense back on the field. The Hawks are last in the league in time of possession.

Without an effective run offense the Hawks need to embrace a short, quick passing game that eats up clock and sustains drives. Our defense can not be effective when on the field for an average of 36 minutes a game. Russell Wilson is a fierce competitor, but he's too much all or nothing. He's tremendous in the RPO, when complemented by a strong run game, but we don't have a strong run game. Until we do, the game plan needs to change.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, panhead55 said:

I'm a homer and I think the problem lies with Russell Wilson and to a lesser extent the OC. Russ is too enamored with the long ball. Admittedly he is one of the league's best deep passers, but he goes to the well way too often. How many times has Wilson dropped back, changed course to avoid the rush, and either sends the ball deep down the field or ends up getting the sack. The deep incomplete makes it difficult to move the chains and so they turn the ball over on downs and put the defense on the field. The sack makes a first down unlikely and so the defense is quickly back on the field. If Russ hits the deep ball, the Hawks score quickly and puts the defense back on the field. The Hawks are last in the league in time of possession.

Without an effective run offense the Hawks need to embrace a short, quick passing game that eats up clock and sustains drives. Our defense can not be effective when on the field for an average of 36 minutes a game. Russell Wilson is a fierce competitor, but he's too much all or nothing. He's tremendous in the RPO, when complemented by a strong run game, but we don't have a strong run game. Until we do, the game plan needs to change.

Wilson has largely struggled over his last 17ish games or so with two different offensive coordinators.  I fear it's something more problematic than simply needing to focus on short and intermediate routes.  Like.....maybe his short stature doesn't allow him to see those routes develop.  It shouldn't be that difficult to scheme against consistent 2 deep safety sets.

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

Wilson has largely struggled over his last 17ish games or so with two different offensive coordinators.  I fear it's something more problematic than simply needing to focus on short and intermediate routes.  Like.....maybe his short stature doesn't allow him to see those routes develop.  It shouldn't be that difficult to scheme against consistent 2 deep safety sets.

Agree to an extent. He looked like an MVP the first 3 games of the season, he was on fire. Has he lost that chemistry with DK? It seems like they aren't on the same page. 

12 hours ago, panhead55 said:

I agree with this 100%. That is exactly what I see as well. I never understand why he tries to go for a 25 yard pass on 3rd and 4. Just get the 1st down and move the chains.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Who, btw, was having an awesome FANTASY season.  Say what you will about him as an NFL safety but this is a fantasy forum and as such I'm talking about fantasy.

Except this thread was never really about FANTASY football, so not sure why you're trying to make it about that.

• Confused 2

Seattle Times speaks out (and in Seattle, the tabloids support their teams and don't generally attack them, like in New York or Philly):

On Wednesday the Seahawks announced that Adams will have surgery on the shoulder he injured in Sunday’s win over the 49ers and miss the remainder of the season. And for many fans, the news may come as a crushing blow as Seattle’s playoff hopes are all but deceased.

But honestly — was Adams all that productive for this team anyway? Was he worth the two first-round picks and subsequent four-year $70 million contract extension? According to certain stat geeks, not even close.

Pro Football Focus has earned recognition over the years as one of the premier NFL analytic websites. Its staff tracks every player on every play and assigns grades based on their performance. It isn’t a perfect system, but it might be the best thing the public has right now.

As for PFF’s view of Adams with the Seahawks? He stinks.

Last year, despite the record sack numbers, PFF ranked Adams 53rd of 94 safeties in the league. It said that he was 78th-best on pass defense (he allowed a 121.7 passer rating and 57th on run defense (he missed 11 tackles).

This season — in which he has zero sacks — the evaluation has been even worse. Adams ranks 63rd of 91 safeties overall and 85th in pass coverage (to his credit, he is 13th in run defense.)

Before hurting his shoulder Sunday, Adams was getting burned by San Francisco tight end George Kittle. Playing 20 snaps, he earned his lowest PFF grade of the season at 27.4.

Keep in mind, the $17.5 million-per-year extension for Adams doesn’t kick in until next season. Meanwhile, the Seahawks will be without a first-round pick for the second year in a row.

The Jets made a huge mistake drafting this guy and Seattle made a far worse mistake adopting him and paying him way more than his value on the field.  Adams sucks in coverage as a safety (one of the worst in the league) and is a mediocre linebacker at best.  Pete Carroll is an idiot.

Edited by Dcat

19 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

You can't say that. Everyone projected Adams to be star coming out of LSU. If the Jets didn't draft him someone else would of been right there to nab him. It was absolutely the right pick at the time, bad in hindsight. 

Adams was a manure pick for the Jets and for any team at that point in the draft.  It's one of the reasons Mike Maccagnan is  now a Dunkin' Donuts Associate Manager instead of being in the NFL.  Safeties are not worth top 16 picks.  Period.   Any GM who drafts a freaking safety in round 1, let alone the top half or top 10, should be immediately fired.  I can think of two safeties in my lifetime who would have been worth a top 10 pick and that's Polamalu and Ed Reed.  Jamal Adams isn't even a pimple on their butts.  He is terrible in coverage... really terrible.   All he does is occasionally rush the passer.  The rest of the important things safeties do, jamal Adams does poorly.  Very poorly.  Reed and Polamalu waere outstanding in coverage.  No comparison.

Sorry, but the Jets needed a QB at that point in time and both Watson and Mahomes were sitting right there when the Jets picked the overrated LSU strong safety.  I watched a lot of LSU and Adams was overrated.  He got himself run over often by the likes of guys like LaMicchel Perine.  How can any team draft a safety when they are in DESPERATE need of a QB?  Or a WR.  Mike Williams sitting right there and the jets had zero WRs.  Drafting Adams was a major blunder for the Jets, but would have been the same blunder for any other team.  I'd say the same thing for the team that drafted Hooker in the top 10 as well.

Edited by Dcat

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Safeties are not worth top 16 picks.  Period.  Ever.  Any GM who drafts a freaking safety in round 1, let alone the top half or top 10, should be immediately fired.

Sorry, but the Jets needed a QB at that point in time and both Watson and Mahomes were sitting right there when the Jets picked the overrated LSU strong safety.  I watched a lot of LSU and Adams was overrated.  He got himself run over often byu the likes of guys like LaMicchel Perine.  How can any team draft a safety when they are in DESPERATE need of a QB?  Drafting Adams was a major blunder for the Jets, but would have been the same blunder for any other team.  Adams was a manurety pick for the Jets and for any team at that point in the draft.  It's one of the reasons Mike Maccagnan now is manager of a Dunkin' DOnuts instead of being in the NFL.

I think you forgot how good he was in College. Some had him ranked as the best player in the entire draft. Did you know Patrick Mahomes would be Patrick Mahomes? Nobody else did either. 

Edited by League_Champion
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, League_Champion said:

I think you forgot how good he was in College. Some had him ranked as the best player in the entire draft. Did you know Patrick Mahomes would be Patrick Mahomes? Nobody else did either. 

Any GM who drafts a safety in the top half of round 1 (even the bottom half), NEEDS TO HAVE HIS HEAD EXAMINED.  I believe strongly in positional value and the better teams in the NFL do so as well.  And Adams was all hyped up because he came from LSU and his dad is an NFL big mouth too.  As everyone can see, he can only do one thing well and that's not involving the main elements of the position.  Pete Carroll is an idiot. 

I just can't believe how so many people were utterly fooled by this charlatan.  He's undersized, slow and not particularly strong. 

Here:  a shining example of how Adams was overrated at LSU:

Edited by Dcat

Just now, stevegrab said:

Wow Adams sure is a thorn in Dcat's ass even after the Jets traded him.  Now what was this thread about originally????

absolutely.  Guy has an issue obviously.  Here's why:

I hated the pick when McCagnan made it, as did every single Jets fan who was honest. I  hated what he Adams here in the clubhouse.  He is a clubhouse troublemaker in fact,  a bonafide clubhouse a-hole from day 1 shooting off his mouth, flooding social media with nonsense and annointing himself "Prez" (he gave himself the name).  Then his contract demands started before year 3 of a 5 year contract, for mediocre production other than the surprise sacks.  Meanwhile, the talking heads hype him up continually for no logical reason other than the uniqueness of a safety pretending to be a linebacker and being a nuisance when rushing the passer.  As for his playing the run...  average.  Coverage...  extremely below average (totally ignored by the media).  All in all, he was a liability out there as much as he was a weapon.  Adios. 

I was trying to ignore this, but I'll chime in. 

Pretty much every Seattle fans sees the Adams trade as a mistake.  The new contract is also questionable at best, especially with his second surgery in two years.  Adams was amongst team leaders in tackles (also amongst the NFL leaders by position), had a couple INTs, but 0 sacks was obviously a major disappointment.  

The big fear, when the Adams trade initially happened, is that Seattle would stick to their cover 2 defensive scheme and not allow Adams to utilize his unique skill set.  Last year Adams rushed the passer on a high percentage of snaps and he wrecked games and set NFL records.  This year Seattle reverted to play him more like a typical safety; he's hardly ever rushing the passer - there is some significant type of percentage drop from this year to last on rushing the QB.  The fear of the trade has been realized.  I think most "educated" fans are more dissapointed in the way Adams was being used, mores0 than Adams play itself.  It makes absolutely zero sense to trade for the guy, sign him, and than drop him in coverage on 90+% of the plays.  Zero sense. 

7 hours ago, Dcat said:

As for his playing the run...  average

Meh.  You just got done using PFF pass coverage grades to support his liability in coverage.  Does PFF nail pass coverage and whiff on run grading?

I feel like I've posted the blurb below before - but it bears repeating.

Adams ranks third to only Budda Baker and Landon Collins at the safety position in run stops (81) since entering the league in 2017. He sits in the 97th percentile among his peers in run-defense grade over that span, and he doesn’t have any peers when it comes to getting after the quarterback from the secondary. Adams’ 78 quarterback pressures over the past four years are over 30 more than any cornerback or safety in the NFL.

Your scorned lover emotion is jading your 'take' methinks.  

Hey - I can also youtube some videos.  What does Najee Harris weigh anyway?

image.gif

image.gif

Edited by Bobby Brown

^ Defending the most overrated player in the NFL is a pretty bad look.  Adams is as much a liability than anything else.  Plus he has ZERO support from the locker room.  He's a "me" guy only.  And I'm not using PFF as a yardstick here.  I sat on the 30 yard line 10 rows up and watched this overrated narcissist play for several years.  Play after play, late to the ball.  Oh and amidst all of his terrible plays, he'll pressure the QB every now and then. 

What a waste of capital for Seattle.  Gotta be the worst move in Seattle franchise history.

Edited by Dcat
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Dcat said:

Gotta be the worst move in Seattle franchise history.

You are for more more scorned emotional woman than knowledgeable football fan.  Off the top of head in Carroll era alone...

They didn't hand off to Lynch to win a superbowl.

They drafted Rashard Penny over Nick Chubb

They drafted Malik McDowell early.

They traded high draft capital for Percy Harvin.

This doesn't even go back to the total history when they did stuff like draft Rick Mirer and Mike Maguire with early draft picks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1