[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Niners vs Rams (Championship)

League_Champion

12 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

The only good thing was that SF covered the 3.5 with the under. I also got a couple small props but nothing to write home about. Odell had 9 for 113 but didn't score, that hurt. 

Mitchell's rushing hurt me but Kupp to score multiple tds was a big winner for me.  

My daily fantasy lineups did really well in the early game and I won a small amount from the late game

42 minutes ago, Montana is da Man said:

This game can be blamed on Tartt dropping that interception.

And the 3 personal fouls they chose not to call against the rams while calling everything against the 49ers.  Two of those calls extend drives.  

I am a gigantic Joe Burrow fan for the next 2 weeks

And the taunting call

34 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Meh… Under that kind of pressure, Mahomes wasn’t any better today.  

Ah, that's cute... you stand up for your hunka hunka burning love!  

2 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Jimmy G throwing on the run is one of the scariest things in football right now. 

And so is Jimmy G throwing the ball away to avoid taking a sack.

Props to the Niners for exceeding expectations this year.  I don't think too many people saw them getting within a FG of reaching the SB this year.  Even less so than the Bengals, I'm guessing, for a lot of people.  So, yeah, I'm sure it's disappointing to lose the way that they did today.  But, I'd take that 100 times out of 100 over a team like MIN, who SHOULD have been in the playoffs, but underachieved pretty much all season.  

The Rams seem like a team with a trajectory of SB or bust.  Blew out ARI, dominated TB, and if not for the early tipped INT in the end zone, I think there's a good chance they would have taken the lead and never looked back today as well.  But, again, hats off to the Niners... they certainly know how to play the Rams, and made it not only close, but uncomfortable for almost the entire 60 minutes.  

As for Jimmy, I just think people focus too much on the QB position, making it easy to hate on guys who aren't Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, or Allen.  There's only going to be so many of those star-type QB's in the league, at any given time.  Yet, if you listened to all of the various QB hate going around, at any given point, half of the league needs to find a different QB.  It just doesn't add up.  Jimmy G isn't a stud.  In fact, he's probably on the lower half of the QB1 tier, if we're comparing all 32 starting QB's.  That said, he gave SF a chance at getting to a SB.  I can't imagine they would have had that same chance with Lance at QB.  No offense to Lance, but it's just not very likely.  

Heck... a lot of people don't even think Stafford is a very good QB, and I'm glad that he's finally getting a chance to prove them wrong.  He's easily top-ten in the league right now, and probably more like top half-dozen.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Montana is da Man said:

This game can be blamed on Tartt dropping that interception.

And the 3 personal fouls they chose not to call against the rams while calling everything against the 49ers.  Two of those calls extend drives.  

I am a gigantic Joe Burrow fan for the next 2 weeks

10 hours ago, Wolverines Fan said:

And so is Jimmy G throwing the ball away to avoid taking a sack.

What the hell was that. I've watched so many QBs try to do this during this season and almost always ends with the same result, a pick sometimes for a TD. Being spun around, no idea where anybody is, or where the ball might go and you decide to try and "throw" it. 

41 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

What the hell was that. I've watched so many QBs try to do this during this season and almost always ends with the same result, a pick sometimes for a TD. Being spun around, no idea where anybody is, or where the ball might go and you decide to try and "throw" it. 

And, he actually hit the "intended" receiver right in the hands. :lol:  But, even that guy was surprised, it seemed, and the ball bounced right off of him.  Another big difference between the teams that are advancing, and the teams that got beat... QB's who know when to take a sack, or when to throw the ball away, versus those who don't.  Mahomes gets away with scrambling and running around in circles about 80% of the time.  But, that other 20% is a killer.  Kills drives, takes them out of FG position, etc.  When Jimmy G started to do the same thing, I think we all knew it was probably going to end badly.  

It came down to a matter of wills. 

The Rams just were not going to be denied and that's that. Needing some form of super human performance the Burrow can give you, but Jimmy G just won't. I'd take JG as a QB on my team though. It's clear he does some things extremely well. 

Jimmy G feels like the Wade Phillips of NFL QB's.  You're ecstatic if he's your backup QB, but if he's your starter, you're left wondering if the grass is greener elsewhere.  Phillips was a defensive mastermind, but there were certainly mixed reviews of him as a HC.  

Speaking of which, have you ever noticed how many former HC's are DEFENSIVE coordinators in the NFL?  Frazier, Lovie Smith, Gus Bradley, Spags, Allen, Bowles, Joseph, Morris, Quinn, Del Rio.  Not to mention Zimmer, who likely will be a DC again soon.  I mean, half of the league's DC's are a list of re-tread HC candidates.  

Meanwhile, how many current OC's have been HC's?  I'm not sure that there's any.  And, I have no idea what that says about the positions.  Maybe that's obvious to someone who knows more about coaching than I do.  I just thought it was interesting.  And, in an era where it feels like many of the teams rising to the top all have young, offensive-minded coaches (LAR, SF, GB, CIN), it's hard to imagine why a team would want to go another direction.  Even Andy Reid is an offensive guy.  So, when the majority of the HC candidates are either DC "re-treads" or up-and-coming OC's, doesn't it make more sense to pick one of the latter, unless you can pair up one of those re-treads with a brilliant offensive mind as well?  I mean, I love Zimmer, Frazier, Del Rio, Bowles, etc.  But, haven't we figured out by now that those guys are simply better at being a DC than a HC?  Hiring one of them again feels like the old definition of insanity saying.  :thinking:

Sorry to get off-topic.  Just thought that was interesting, when I started looking at the list of former coordinators who have been HC's.  On the defensive side, it's the "who's who" of "great DC, but in over their heads as HC."  :lol:

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I really don't fault him on that.  Massive pressure from Rams DL and if he's sacked it's 4th and a mile; which I don't see the 49ers converting.  He hit Hasty in the hands, in retrospect probably a better idea to throw it at his feet, but I don't see how anyone can process that while on the way to the turf. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

I really don't fault him on that.  Massive pressure from Rams DL and if he's sacked it's 4th and a mile; which I don't see the 49ers converting.  He hit Hasty in the hands, in retrospect probably a better idea to throw it at his feet, but I don't see how anyone can process that while on the way to the turf. 

I was thinking the same thing. At best he should have just thrown it away, but he did have a guy there so I don't fault him for a desperation toss.

I only watched the 2nd half, but from what I did see from the 9ers offense was no play action. The Rams were crashing the line every time the 9ers lined up to run it. Outside of the dropped interception, I think the play calling at the end of the game is what ultimately cost them the win.

Edited by rajncajn

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

Jimmy G feels like the Wade Phillips of NFL QB's.  You're ecstatic if he's your backup QB, but if he's your starter, you're left wondering if the grass is greener elsewhere.  Phillips was a defensive mastermind, but there were certainly mixed reviews of him as a HC.  

Speaking of which, have you ever noticed how many former HC's are DEFENSIVE coordinators in the NFL?  Frazier, Lovie Smith, Gus Bradley, Spags, Allen, Bowles, Joseph, Morris, Quinn, Del Rio.  Not to mention Zimmer, who likely will be a DC again soon.  I mean, half of the league's DC's are a list of re-tread HC candidates.  

Meanwhile, how many current OC's have been HC's?  I'm not sure that there's any.  And, I have no idea what that says about the positions.  Maybe that's obvious to someone who knows more about coaching than I do.  I just thought it was interesting.  And, in an era where it feels like many of the teams rising to the top all have young, offensive-minded coaches (LAR, SF, GB, CIN), it's hard to imagine why a team would want to go another direction.  Even Andy Reid is an offensive guy.  So, when the majority of the HC candidates are either DC "re-treads" or up-and-coming OC's, doesn't it make more sense to pick one of the latter, unless you can pair up one of those re-treads with a brilliant offensive mind as well?  I mean, I love Zimmer, Frazier, Del Rio, Bowles, etc.  But, haven't we figured out by now that those guys are simply better at being a DC than a HC?  Hiring one of them again feels like the old definition of insanity saying.  :thinking:

Sorry to get off-topic.  Just thought that was interesting, when I started looking at the list of former coordinators who have been HC's.  On the defensive side, it's the "who's who" of "great DC, but in over their heads as HC."  :lol:

Josh McDaniels would be on the that list prior to taking the Raiders HC job (was DEN HC between stints as NE OC).

Pat Shurmur is another, he's had 3 HC stints in the NFL and always returned to an OC role after each one. There might be more, but none that come to mind, though I admit to not being that familiar with all 32 teams OCs. 

I think a part of the reason is the rapidly evolving NFL offense, younger coaches are needed to bring in new ideas, so if you were an OC, then a HC, when that gig is up there are fewer people interested in you. Especially if an offensive guy is the new HC of a team, they're more likely to bring somebody to run the offense that they coached with on the prior team, a QB or other offensive position coach. Because they will still play a large role in the offense. 

7 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Josh McDaniels would be on the that list prior to taking the Raiders HC job (was DEN HC between stints as NE OC).

Pat Shurmur is another, he's had 3 HC stints in the NFL and always returned to an OC role after each one. There might be more, but none that come to mind, though I admit to not being that familiar with all 32 teams OCs. 

I think a part of the reason is the rapidly evolving NFL offense, younger coaches are needed to bring in new ideas, so if you were an OC, then a HC, when that gig is up there are fewer people interested in you. Especially if an offensive guy is the new HC of a team, they're more likely to bring somebody to run the offense that they coached with on the prior team, a QB or other offensive position coach. Because they will still play a large role in the offense. 

Forgot about McDaniels.  Shurmur three times?  Oof.  Almost hard to believe, then I realize that it was the Browns and Giants who hired him as HC.  That makes more sense.  :lol:

Yeah, I think it must be a combination of a few things.  It's just hard for me to wrap my head around teams wanting to take another look at somebody like Leslie Frazier.  No offense (he's probably a great guy), but he's simply not HC material.  Nobody looked more like a deer in headlights than he did, in his first go-round with MIN.  He might be a great defensive play-caller, but the guy has zero personality, and couldn't motivate a fly with a fly-swatter in both hands.