[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

YouTube wins NFL Sunday Ticket... no more DirecTV

DMD

6 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Sounds like the NFL+ package is what I'm going to do.  You pay $79 or something like that and watch RedZone on your smart TV using the NFL app.  Way cheaper than the alternatives.... plus RZ is all I want anyways; don't need the full Sunday Ticket business.

I'm a dinosaur and prefer to just keep DirecTV.  Now I have to call them and talk them down.  At least I don't have to ask for ST/RZ as part of my new deal.  The wife likes DTV and we're just both used to it.  I'd rather pay $10-20 more for it than some other new service.  Just not worth the hassle. 

I thought I heard DirecTV has RedZone now as an option.  

13 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Sounds like the NFL+ package is what I'm going to do.  You pay $79 or something like that and watch RedZone on your smart TV using the NFL app.  Way cheaper than the alternatives.... plus RZ is all I want anyways; don't need the full Sunday Ticket business.

I'm a dinosaur and prefer to just keep DirecTV.  Now I have to call them and talk them down.  At least I don't have to ask for ST/RZ as part of my new deal.  The wife likes DTV and we're just both used to it.  I'd rather pay $10-20 more for it than some other new service.  Just not worth the hassle. 

What app does it use?

Nevermind, found it.  Just wanted to make sure it was limited to phone/tablet viewing like it was in past.  Will probably give that a try as well.  Absolutely not signing up for a TV service (streaming or not) as it just won't be used here so happy to try out a cheap legal option for the redzone channel. 

Dropped Comcast, saving about $175/month, a few months ago.  I watch all for free on this sight my son found.  Only downside, no taping or pausing.  Most sports are there, including Red Zone.  Link is what it is because the Valero Open was the first thing I watched and saved to faves that way.

https://golfstreams.me/valero-texas-open-second-round-live/stream-1

19 hours ago, darin3 said:

Thing is, until you start looking at what streaming services you'd need to replace what you have now its hard to say how much you could save. Considering my TV package is well over $150 I think I can easily save $50. I don't have any premium stuff so I won't need to pay for that. Also helps that it just one person. I was pretty happy with the channel list in YouTube TV basic group. Includes virtually everything I get now. 

If I hadn't lost Fox and need that for NFL I may not be doing anything at this time. 

On 8/16/2023 at 1:15 PM, stevegrab said:

Thing is, until you start looking at what streaming services you'd need to replace what you have now its hard to say how much you could save. Considering my TV package is well over $150 I think I can easily save $50. I don't have any premium stuff so I won't need to pay for that. Also helps that it just one person. I was pretty happy with the channel list in YouTube TV basic group. Includes virtually everything I get now. 

If I hadn't lost Fox and need that for NFL I may not be doing anything at this time. 

Funny thing is, you're still paying the cable/cellular company a lot of money for strong enough wifi so you can have the ability to stream content on these numerous other apps we subscribe to and pay lots of money for.  Do we really save money with this scam? 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Funny thing is, you're still paying the cable/cellular company a lot of money for strong enough wifi so you can have the ability to stream content on these numerous other apps we subscribe to and pay lots of money for.  Do we really save money with this scam? 

Scam? 

Sounds like someone just wants to justify their decision to continue paying full price. You do you

But with the slightest bit of knowledge and effort, you can cut your home entertainment bill by half. 

You don't want to?   that's fine. Not sure where the scam is

Edited by Anonymouse
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

What scam are you referring to?

I already had high speed wifi and was subscribing to misc platforms before moving away from DTV.  The only difference for us was adding YTTV, and  hulu (non-live) due to specific show we wanted to watch.

Already had netflix, prime, disney+, hbomax (now just max i believe)

no more dance

similar quality picture/sound

significant reduction in monthly cost for live tv.

Edited by Bier Meister
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

You would be wrong.

20 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I pay a flat rate of $40 a month for Comcast internet. No taxes, regional/sports fees, equipment (buy your own gigabit modem and router), whatever. $40

Heck, you may be paying that much for the add-on fees/taxes/equipment alone. Please say you don't rent a modem... I know people that have a $800+ modem through the rent process.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 8:06 PM, Dirty Sanchez said:

Well some of us have options other than traditional cable/cell providers for intenet. My community has a municipal broadband service, both residential and business. 1000Mbps upload/download for $55/month. That will be the service I plan to swtich to as I cut the cord. (That price is about $15 less than I pay now.)

I was skeptical that I could find the majority of the content I want/need without spending close to the same money. I looked at the channel line-up on YouTube TV and it has virtually everything I wanted, at a cost of $73/month (they have a promo to save $8/month for 3 months). My local internet would cost me $55. That/s a total of about $130 (maybe a bit more with taxes and any other fees). My current bill is just under $230, so I'd save about $100/month. 

I wouldn't save much with the internet switch, but the TV package price difference is huge, my AT&T U-Verse (UV200 package) is almost $160 ($125 base fee pluse other charges including $10 HD technonogy fee, $13 for broadcast TV, and a bunch of other fees). Which is more than double the YouTube TV cost. 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Well some of us have options other than traditional cable/cell providers for intenet. My community has a municipal broadband service, both residential and business. 1000Mbps upload/download for $55/month. That will be the service I plan to swtich to as I cut the cord. (That price is about $15 less than I pay now.)

I was skeptical that I could find the majority of the content I want/need without spending close to the same money. I looked at the channel line-up on YouTube TV and it has virtually everything I wanted, at a cost of $73/month (they have a promo to save $8/month for 3 months). My local internet would cost me $55. That/s a total of about $130 (maybe a bit more with taxes and any other fees). My current bill is just under $230, so I'd save about $100/month. 

I wouldn't save much with the internet switch, but the TV package price difference is huge, my AT&T U-Verse (UV200 package) is almost $160 ($125 base fee pluse other charges including $10 HD technonogy fee, $13 for broadcast TV, and a bunch of other fees). Which is more than double the YouTube TV cost. 

What are you waiting for? Just do it man. 

55 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Waiting for a gap in life to deal with things, is that OK with you DAD?  I mean seriously, what does it matter to you? Why do you keep badgering me about this. 

Just trying to help a guy save a few bucks.  Jeez, man. 

No reason to get all pissy about it.

Edited by Chief Dick
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Chief Dick said:

Just trying to help a guy save a few bucks.  Jeez, man. 

this.

Steve... you can experiment for free without committing to it.  you get to dip your toe in the lake.  

you certainly do not have to save money if you do not want to

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Waiting for a gap in life to deal with things, is that OK with you DAD?  I mean seriously, what does it matter to you? Why do you keep badgering me about this. 

We're all just searching for a good gap in life to deal with things and settle down with.  Dads are there to try and advise you on not succumbing to your first gap, and keep experimenting until you find the gap that fits you best. He just doesn't want you to end up with a bad case of FOMOOEG (fear of missing out on extraordinary/extra gap).

Good luck on your journey. 

Edited by irish
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, irish said:

We're all just searching for a good gap in life to deal with things and settle down with.  Dads are there to try and advise you on not succumbing to your first gap, and keep experimenting until you find the gap that fits you best. He just doesn't want you to end up with a bad case of FOMOOEG (fear of missing out on extraordinary/extra gap).

I don't need a dad, I still have 4 older brothers and an older sister who all think I am still just a baby that needs their guideance. Apparently Chief Dick wants to join the club. 

Just too busy the lately, and that isn't changing this week as I have a 4 day weekend vacation coming up. I'll deal with it in my time, I do appreciate the advice and input, not the constant needling and pestering. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, irish said:

Good advice. 

My round peg didn't quite work with my ex's triangle hole