[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Evans owners

Dcat

Sat him in a championship game.........sick feeling.

Sat Brady in 2 championship games.

I overcame one of those and won anyway.

Evans game still in doubt it be all but over

Probably going to lose the other Brady sit game.

It pretty bad feeling to see Brady going off on your bench and Evans too.

Evans TD numbers are way down this season, otherwise his stats are pretty well in line with other recent years. 70-75 receptions, 1000-1100 yards, but the 6 TDs is low compared to 13 & 14 last 2 seasons and an average of 9 per season. 

His yards/reception are down the last few seasons, around 14-14.5 with his career number being almost 15.5 and seasons over 17 before Brady arrived. 

The first half of the year, he was a safer play.  Double digits in 5 of the first 7 weeks (this is in my .75PPR keeper league). After Week 8, though, it became a risk/reward game that was 80% risk.  It was almost a game of "is the opponent going to double him or not?"  Prior to this week, he had hit double digits ONCE in the last eight weeks.  That's brutal.  Comparable to Tyler Lockett last year.  It's either a dud week or three touchdowns.  But, guessing which 2-3 weeks are going to be the monster games, over the course if 16 weeks, is pretty tough to do.  

It's a combination of defenses making a point to shut him down (and force Brady elsewhere), and Brady just not playing very well.  The target share was there, for the most part.  Week 12, for example.... 9 targets, 2 catches, 31 yards.  During the stretch from Week 9 to 16 (7 games), he had 56 targets, 28 catches, ZERO TD's, and less than 50 yards per game.  That's not starter-worthy.  In some leagues, that's not even roster-worthy.  And, he was only catching half of his targets, which tells me he's getting a lot of contested throws his way.

I debated this week all week, and moved him in/out of my lineup multiple times.  Eventually, about five minutes before kickoff, I made the move to keep him in over Miles Sanders.  Mainly just because I kept reading how the CAR CB's were depleted.  That said, I feel like I got lucky.  He was not a no-brainer "start no matter what."  If I had left him on the bench, I'd be disappointed, for sure.  But, I wouldn't view it as a stupid decision as much as I'd say "that's just Mike Evans being Mike Evans."  Duds when you need him, and blows up when you feel you can't trust him.  :shrug: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Evans TD numbers are way down this season, otherwise his stats are pretty well in line with other recent years. 70-75 receptions, 1000-1100 yards, but the 6 TDs is low compared to 13 & 14 last 2 seasons and an average of 9 per season. 

His yards/reception are down the last few seasons, around 14-14.5 with his career number being almost 15.5 and seasons over 17 before Brady arrived. 

Over the last couple years, Evans was a guy I targeted more in best ball and notsomuch typical redraft leagues. He always felt like boom or bust to me.

I essentially avoided him this year as I read a lot of analysis pointing to a giant regression.  His receptions and yards didn't fall off a cliff, but as you noted, his TDs sure did (3 total before yesterday??).  Not sure if that was a red sone target thing or Brady sucking thing.

I came from a mathematical background, not football.  I had to google "running back" when I started. I had Evans in redraft leagues as well as my dynasty league.  He taught me the value of consistency and minimizing variance.  I traded him for Thomas, who has basically sat on IR since I acquired him.  That said, NOT playing Evans has been better for week to week wins.  He's actually one of players highest on my "to be avoided" list.

Wow didn't realize he had only 3 TDs before 3 in that last game, was just looking at yearly numbers. 

Looking at last year, those 14 TDs were spread across 9 games, and in the 7 without a TD (he missed one game) he had 6 rec & 75 or more yards 3 times leaving just 4 dud games in 16 played.

16 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

Yeah he’s one of those guys where his yearly stats look good but when you take a closer look he’s just not a reliable fantasy option. I’ve never had him on any of my teams, and that is why

I had him once in a redraft 4 years ago and that was all that was needed. 

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

He's impossible to handicap. His entire season is always 4-5 big games and then he's invisible for the rest. He's a nightmare for fantasy owners. 

Amazing that his rookie season (2014) was one of his most consistently good. From week 4 thru 14 (included the bye) he only had 2 single digits games (no PPR), along with 2 big ones (24 & 33) and two more above 16. 

12 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Amazing that his rookie season (2014) was one of his most consistently good. From week 4 thru 14 (included the bye) he only had 2 single digits games (no PPR), along with 2 big ones (24 & 33) and two more above 16. 

Good stuff. Yeah, he's had a very odd career. Does he just turn it on/off whenever he wants to? I wonder what the issues are because when he's on his game he's unstoppable and when he's bad he's really bad. 

On top of everything else it seems like he's either hurt or just about to get hurt or has some minor-ish nagging health issue.  

I own him in two dynasty leagues, but he's my WR2/3 in both and feeling quite solid pretty much everywhere else, I typically just start him as it likely won't kill me if he has a 5-6-point game, but would really help a ton if he has a game where he goes off.

As Bobby noted above, really best in best ball formats where you can have his bad games offset a bit.