[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coach of the year bet

Dcat

Pederson or Campbell before Daboll in my opinion. Think of where the Jags were with Meyer last year and how awful the Lions were early this year. The Jags are in the playoffs and the Lions were right when no one thought it'd be possible. 

46 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I feel like Mike Tomlin needs to be in the discussion as well. 

Not if they lose today. ;) 

Honestly have heard many Steeler fans say he should have been let go in the past couple of seasons when they were floundering. 

3 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Not if they lose today. ;) 

Honestly have heard many Steeler fans say he should have been let go in the past couple of seasons when they were floundering. 

How about the Browns coaching staff, because Tomlin has a lot less to work with than they do. Do you think they'll be retained, or deserve to be? 

39 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Floundering?  He has never had a losing season.  Maybe this year but he has had a damn good run and some other team would thank the steelers for firing him.  I don't think there is a better leader in the NFL

20 minutes ago, Montana is da Man said:

Floundering?  He has never had a losing season.  Maybe this year but he has had a damn good run and some other team would thank the steelers for firing him.  I don't think there is a better leader in the NFL

I have no idea what he's talking about. Tomlin is beloved in Pittsburgh. They would go insane if he was fired or quit. 

19 hours ago, Dcat said:

at +350 odds, I'm making a bet that it's going to be Daboll.  

Do you agree @Running With Daboll?

Yup, I'd make that bet, and I'd feel good about it.

Daboll took a miserable team in a terrible cap situation to the playoffs in his first season. 

They had an improved, but still very average offensive line, virtually zero WRs after injuries, and a makeshift defensive secondary. 

He managed to limit the customary mistakes that Jones makes, and convinced his team that they had a chance to win every week.

Every other coach mentioned for COTY can make an argument for the award, but none of them had less to work with than Daboll. 

Pederson played in an easy division. Campbell was impressive but ultimately didn't get his team into the playoffs. Shanahan? C'mon, the guy has a world class defense to compensate for his QB going down, and also picked up one of the greatest offensive weapons in the game at mid season. 

There's also mention of Tomlin, but aside from finishing the season strong, he still fell short of expectations. 

NOBODY expected the Giants to do a damned thing this year, and that includes ME. If Daboll doesn't win COTY, then it would be a miscarriage of justice. 

Edited by Running With Daboll

31 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Campbell walked into Lambeau week 18 and beat the Packers who had the playoffs on the line. For me Campbell just locked it up. The Giants only had 1 win within their own Division all season. 

Seriously? He had nothing to lose, and beating the Packers this year wasn't exactly a rare occurrence, they lost 9 times.

Campbell simply wasn't behind the 8 ball like Daboll was. He did a good job but he let the first part of the season slip away from him and couldn't recover in time to make the playoffs. Plus, he lost a game against the Panthers that was critical, and while they had momentum. It cost them a playoff spot. 

Also, while the Lions offense was formidable, they didnt show up too much on the road, and the defense was terrible most of the season. The team was far too unbalanced and it cost them.

He did a good job, but the bottom line is that the Giants are playing next week, the Lions aren't. 

Divisional wins are irrelevant, only thing that matters is if they have a better record at the end of the season. A W is a W, doesn't matter where you got it. 

And by the way, this isn't a homer choice on my part.  I had Rivera pegged as COTY until he made some strange decisions and his team went south in the last quarter of the season. I truly think that Daboll, with everything taken into consideration, EARNED and DESERVES this award.  If Campbell, Pederson, or somebody else wins it, I'll be surprised, but it won't keep me up at night.

19 hours ago, irish said:

Pederson or Campbell before Daboll in my opinion. Think of where the Jags were with Meyer last year and how awful the Lions were early this year. The Jags are in the playoffs and the Lions were right when no one thought it'd be possible. 

Last I checked the Giants are in the playoffs too, and they did it with Walmart WR's and one of the worst cap space situations in the league.

4 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Giant only won 1 game within the division. That's not good. 

LOL...why are you so hell bent on division wins?  It's all relative.  They play in a division with 2 double digit win teams, and a Washington team that can give any team a fight.  Why is losing to the Eagles and Cowboys such a big deal to you? 

This team wasn't supposed to be contending for anything this season, including a winning record.  That they achieved both a winning record AND a playoff spot is nothing short of a minor miracle, and all you are focused on is that they had 1 divisional win?  Which, by the way, they got against Washington, in Washington, when both teams seasons were on the line.

I don't get it.

16 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Except the Packers had everything to lose. You're acting like a homer now. C'mon, that's an impressive win by the Lions. 

Daboll could only win one game within his division. That's bad. 

I'm not acting like a homer, but I think you might be acting like a hater.

I'm remaining objective about this, and frankly I'm both surprised and a bit annoyed that you would even go there.

Again...what is your deal with divisional wins? Last I checked, the Giants play in one of the hardest divisions in football.  I also don't see any "divisional wins" requirements for making the playoffs, did the NFL change something that I missed?

17 hours ago, Montana is da Man said:

They haven't won a playoff game since 2016, for a team that many fans expect to be a contender year in and year out that is floundering. I've heard Steeler fans say he should have been replaced in the last 5 years. Lest you think I'm just talking out my ass....

https://stillcurtain.com/2023/01/02/mike-tomlin-steelers-hot-seat/

Or just Google "coach tomlin hot seat" and look at the results yourelf. 

17 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I have no idea what he's talking about. Tomlin is beloved in Pittsburgh. They would go insane if he was fired or quit. 

You're right you have no idea, just your opinion. Talk to some Steeler fans, listen to what people say on fan sites, etc. 

I am not saying Tomlin should be fired, simply that he has been on the hot seat recently. While you wanted him to get coach of the year consideration, among how many more worthy candidates? 

6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

You're right you have no idea, just your opinion. Talk to some Steeler fans, listen to what people say on fan sites, etc. 

I am not saying Tomlin should be fired, simply that he has been on the hot seat recently. While you wanted him to get coach of the year consideration, among how many more worthy candidates? 

What's your opinion on The Browns coaching staff? Did they underachieve? 

1 hour ago, Running With Daboll said:

Last I checked the Giants are in the playoffs too, and they did it with Walmart WR's and one of the worst cap space situations in the league.

True but I hate the Giants and Daboll could cure cancer, make for World Peace, and never have another kid go hungry again and I still wouldn't want him to win it.  Can't wait for the Vikings to kick their ass, coming from behind again by 40 points, with 3 minutes to go, kicking an 80 yard game-winning FG. 

However, after watching that happen, I'll watch the Cowboys do just the same and meltdown against geriatric Tom on MNF. 

Awesomeness! 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, irish said:

True but I hate the Giants and Daboll could cure cancer, make for World Peace, and never have another kid go hungry again and I still wouldn't want him to win it.  Can't wait for the Vikings to kick their ass, coming from behind again by 40 points, with 3 minutes to go, kicking an 80 yard game-winning FG. 

However, after watching that happen, I'll watch the Cowboys do just the same and meltdown against geriatric Tom on MNF. 

Awesomeness! 

Well, I guess that'll have to satisfy you, because your Cowboys sure as chit aren't going give you any...as usual, and as you already recognize.

What is it now...27 years and counting?