[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coach of the year bet

Dcat

1 hour ago, irish said:

Simply put, you can't say that Daboll is the "hands down winner", period. If you do, that's homerism at its finest.  Is he in the running and Front-runner?  Yes. But so is Pederson without question.  My issue isn't your affection for the job that the coach of your homer team did. It's your statement of hands down winner. That couldn't be further from the truth, is flat out dismissing the job that Pederson and others have done and that's just not fair, accurate or without bias. 

Whatever you say, you can spin it however you like. 

I've made my case as to why Daboll should be way ahead of the field, the only thing that remains is the voting.

Edited by Running With Daboll

55 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

you have to win more than 1 divisional game to be in that conversation.

Lol.  That's as oddly specific metric that you are stating like some well known litmus test.

Every sports writer is probably thinking "If Daboll would've coached his FG kicker up better in the OT tie to Washington, he'd be a shoe in for coach of the year. But as it stands now, I can't even consider voting for him."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Daboll has done a remarkable job, kudos to him but you have to win more than 1 divisional game to be in that conversation. That's just my 2 cents. 

Lol...just to be clear, are you suggesting that because the Giants had a poor division record, Daboll shouldn't get the award?

I just want to be certain that is your assessment, because the first 25 times you said it didn't convince me.

Your position has been stated many times over, but it hasn't been substantiated. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

Whatever you say, you can spin it however you like. 

I've made my case as to why Daboll should be way ahead of the field, the only thing that remains is the voting.

Not exactly the best defense for my retort of your hyperbolic opinion.  Honestly, I didn't expect one. I figured the kind of response you gave above about me "spinning things" was expected.  You did make your case and it's a great one and I wouldn't be shocked to see him win it. However, you asked for anyone to give good reasons why he shouldn't and others should and I did that as well.  I know it's a regular season award but wonder what your 2 cents would be if the Jags win next weekend and the Giants lose to the Vikings again. 

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, irish said:

Not exactly the best defense for my retort of your hyperbolic opinion.  Honestly, I didn't expect one. I figured the kind of response you gave above about me "spinning things" was expected.

Lol...

I'm happy to meet with your expectations. 

As you pointed out, it's a regular season award, so I fail to see the relevancy in answering your hypothetical question.

However, for chits and giggles, the answer is simple:

If the Jags win and the Giants lose, the Jags advance and the Giants go home.  I'm not sure what you were going for beyond that.

By the way, have I mentioned that the Giants beat the Jags this year yet? 

There, I just did. 

• Sad 1

Every post in this thread is stupid.

I give Peterson a lot of credit. Not only the fact he took that bad team to the playoffs but rescued them from such a terrible overall attitude from last year's fiasco  and from their inept owner.

Daboll ranks right up there with the turn around he made with his first year with the Giants. Supposedly he was in the toughest division with 3 playoff teams. wait, isn't this the NFC Least?

My issue with all these comments? Unless I missed it, Kevin O'Connell. Unless i missed it, i don't see his name mentioned anywhere. 13-4 mean anything? from a team predicted to finish 3rd or 4th in their division. Arugeably one of the worst defenses last year and not exactly a lot of improvement this year with their pass defense. Supposedly an over rated over paid QB. But yet. winning what? 11 games by one score, many coming from behind? The best comeback win in NFL history?  Don't tell me that has nothing to do with coaching.

So a first year coach with a 13-4 record, or two first year coach's that barely made the playoffs.   Hand's down right?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Daboll has done a remarkable job, kudos to him but you have to win more than 1 divisional game to be in that conversation. That's just my 2 cents. 

Seriously though, I really want you to make a case as to exactly why a head coach with a poor division record should not be considered for the award.

It's not enough to just keep repeating the same thing, you need to substantiate it. 

And let's have a look at some other things while we are at it:

The Giants were 1-4-1 in their division. Only 1 of those losses was a blowout, courtesy of your Eagles, arguably the best team in football. Yesterday's loss to them is irrelevant on 2 levels...

A. It was a meaningless game for the Giants. 

B. The Giants rested their starters.

The Giants also lost twice to the Cowboys. While this doesn't sit well with me, they weren't blown out by them, and the Cowboys are yet another double digit win team in the division. 

They tied the Commanders, and then they beat the Commanders in Washington, with both team's seasons on the line.

Every division in the NFL is different, in that some are clearly better than others. If you play in a crap division, and have a good division record, does that mean you are better than a team in a strong division, who happens to have a bad division record?

If there was some stipulation that stated if any NFL team with a losing divisional record could not qualify for the playoffs, then your argument would have some legs.

But there isn't a stipulation like that because it would be insanely outlandish. 

Same goes for the requirements for becoming COTY.

17 minutes ago, BillyBalata said:

Every post in this thread is stupid.

I give Peterson a lot of credit. Not only the fact he took that bad team to the playoffs but rescued them from such a terrible overall attitude from last year's fiasco  and from their inept owner.

Daboll ranks right up there with the turn around he made with his first year with the Giants. Supposedly he was in the toughest division with 3 playoff teams. wait, isn't this the NFC Least?

My issue with all these comments? Unless I missed it, Kevin O'Connell. Unless i missed it, i don't see his name mentioned anywhere. 13-4 mean anything? from a team predicted to finish 3rd or 4th in their division. Arugeably one of the worst defenses last year and not exactly a lot of improvement this year with their pass defense. Supposedly an over rated over paid QB. But yet. winning what? 11 games by one score, many coming from behind? The best comeback win in NFL history?  Don't tell me that has nothing to do with coaching.

So a first year coach with a 13-4 record, or two first year coach's that barely made the playoffs.   Hand's down right?

Were the Vikings teetering on the edge of a cliff at the start of the season?

Your points are valid. But when you have a roster like the Vikings do, a 13-4 season is not totally unexpected. Yes, their defense is their Achilles heel, and to a large degree they overcame it.

Who predicted them for 3rd or 4th? That's the first I'm hearing that. Were the Bears and Lions expected to finish above them? Really?

O'Connell did a fine job, but he also has some of the best weapons in the game to work with. Part of the criteria for COTY should be about taking a team from being a dumpster fire, and making them not only relevant, but consistently competitive.

O'Connell didn't have a dumpster fire on his hands. He had a team that was underperforming and he brought them to a higher level.

We'll find out how much higher when the playoffs are over.

Every year is different, and each division has a new identity. The AFC WEST was supposed to be the best division in football this year, and fell sadly short of expectations. 

There are no "stupid comments" here, just opinions mostly. You are entitled to yours, just as the rest of us are entitled to ours.

You don't have to agree with them, but that doesn't make them stupid.

47 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

Lol...

I'm happy to meet with your expectations. 

As you pointed out, it's a regular season award, so I fail to see the relevancy in answering your hypothetical question.

However, for chits and giggles, the answer is simple:

If the Jags win and the Giants lose, the Jags advance and the Giants go home.  I'm not sure what you were going for beyond that.

By the way, have I mentioned that the Giants beat the Jags this year yet? 

There, I just did. 

So, you're making my point for me in that the Giants are a better team, which is why Pederson did a better job in making the playoffs?   Irish 😉 

• Like 1

Lol....Winning?   does that mean anything to you?

You said it yourself the Vikings had a roster for him, so that same roster that sucked last year all of the sudden went 13-4.  why some would ask? I say...coaching.

My point in all this should not be missed....the main arguments in this thread  seem to be for coach's that barely made the playoffs. And i agree they deserve serious consideration.Don't ignore that.

Also don't ignore the rookie coach that went 13-4

3 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

The Giants, Jaguars and Seahawks were also not expected to make the playoffs, and all were longer shots than the Vikings for doing so. 

you just made one of my points....barely made the playoffs. good coaching no doubt. not 13-4,

2 minutes ago, BillyBalata said:

Lol....Winning?   does that mean anything to you?

You said it yourself the Vikings had a roster for him, so that same roster that sucked last year all of the sudden went 13-4.  why some would ask? I say...coaching.

My point in all this should not be missed....the main arguments in this thread  seem to be for coach's that barely made the playoffs. And i agree they deserve serious consideration.Don't ignore that.

Also don't ignore the rookie coach that went 13-4

Of course winning means something, but let's face it, the Vikings 13 wins have a bit of a mirage characteristic to them.

Still, a W is a W, so I give you that. But the crux of my point is that O'Connell started the season with far more talent than either Daboll or Pederson, so extracting 13 wins from that roster isn't as miraculous as you think it is.

He got out of them what he should have gotten from them. In that regard he did a good job, but that doesn't make him COTY, it just makes him an efficient  coach.

39 minutes ago, BillyBalata said:

He's done a great job and deserves a lot of praise. He also has an amazing roster and is in a weak division. Did anyone seriously think they'd finish below The Bears or Lions? I never heard that, they did what they should of. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BillyBalata said:

you just made one of my points....barely made the playoffs. good coaching no doubt. not 13-4,

You are way too focused on wins and losses. If wins and losses was all that mattered, then hell, Andy Reid, Nick Sirianni or McDermott would be up for the award. But they aren't because each of their teams were expected to have a high degree of success. 

The Vikings expected degree of success was less than those teams, but certainly higher than the other teams who are in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, League_Champion said:

He's done a great job and deserves a lot of praise. He also has an amazing roster and is in a weak division. Did anyone seriously think they'd finish below The Bears or Lions? I never heard that, they did what they should of. 

This. I said essentially the same.