[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coach of the year bet

Dcat

Pete Carrol should get a mention too ( just threw up in my mouth a little ) Id say Pederson would be my front runner. I like Daboll  I liked him since game one when he went for the 2 pt conversion for the win. He won a lot of people over that day 

1 minute ago, whomper said:

Pete Carrol should get a mention too ( just threw up in my mouth a little ) Id say Pederson would be my front runner. I like Daboll  I liked him since game one when he went for the 2 pt conversion for the win. He won a lot of people over that day 

Yeah, I would put Carrol ahead of some others, the Hawks certainly surprised a lot of folks. 

But for me, when ALL things are factored in, Daboll is the hands down winner.

2 hours ago, irish said:

True but I hate the Giants and Daboll could cure cancer, make for World Peace, and never have another kid go hungry again and I still wouldn't want him to win it

Hmm, that's kind of interesting, to say the least.

I guess after 27 years of waiting for the Cowboys to return to a Super Bowl, you grew a pair of horns. 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

They haven't won a playoff game since 2016, for a team that many fans expect to be a contender year in and year out that is floundering. I've heard Steeler fans say he should have been replaced in the last 5 years. Lest you think I'm just talking out my ass....

https://stillcurtain.com/2023/01/02/mike-tomlin-steelers-hot-seat/

Or just Google "coach tomlin hot seat" and look at the results yourelf. 

I dont think you're talking out your ass, I know steelers fans expect to win.  But you won't find that consistency anywhere else.  Like I said, they would be doing another team a huge favor by firing him.  Just my opinion

2 minutes ago, Montana is da Man said:

I dont think you're talking out your ass, I know steelers fans expect to win.  But you won't find that consistency anywhere else.  Like I said, they would be doing another team a huge favor by firing him.  Just my opinion

Agree.

There will always be a handful of disgruntled and frustrated fans, but firing Tomlin would only make a questionable situation much worse.

My question to those Steeler fans would be...

Who takes his place?  Who is out there that gives the Steelers a better chance at winning?

If they are being honest, they wouldn't be able to name anybody. 

28 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

Hmm, that's kind of interesting, to say the least.

I guess after 27 years of waiting for the Cowboys to return to a Super Bowl, you grew a pair of horns. 

🤣, several of them. And it only hurt more to see the near impossible happen when the Giants won it all beating Brady, even if they weren't the better team. Then the Eagles, who I hate the most, did it too.  It's been a painful almost 3 decades. 

Just now, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

Homerism is strong in this thread!

That is true, led by our Daboll buddy. No doubt Daboll did a great job but how can you say he's the hands down winner over Pederson?!  

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, irish said:

🤣, several of them. And it only hurt more to see the near impossible happen when the Giants won it all beating Brady, even if they weren't the better team. Then the Eagles, who I hate the most, did it too.  It's been a painful almost 3 decades. 

Understood. I was a victim of what Giants fans call "The Wilderness". A period of time between the late 1960's up until the Parcells era began. It culminated with the Joe P. fumble that Herm Edwards ran in for a TD, back in 1976.

The difference was that I had never experienced "winning" as a Giant fan, prior to Parcells. At least you have memories of Cowboy championships, however long ago they were.

Then, on top of that, you would have thought that Giant ownership (Mara) would never let a second Wilderness happen again...and he did!

So now, win or lose, I'm happy to be in the playoffs again, only for the 2nd time in over 10 seasons. I'm going in with ZERO expectations, just like I did this entire season. 

I know the Giants are in very capable hands now, and that makes all the difference. 

Edited by Running With Daboll
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, whomper said:

Pete Carrol should get a mention too ( just threw up in my mouth a little ) 

Heh.  I was reading through the thread and wondering if anyone would bring his name up.  Since Carroll has a big part of personnel control, does shipping Wilson for a king’s ransom play into coach of year along with on field play?  If not, then Schneider as GM should be locked in as executive of the year.

28 minutes ago, Sunday Couch Potatoe said:

Homerism is strong in this thread!

Lol..

You don't know me from Adam, yet you make a snap judgement based solely on the fact that I'm a Giant fan?

I'm not here to explain or defend myself to anyone, least of all someone who makes such unwarranted claims.

I'll just simply say that my choice for COTY has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Daboll is the Giants HC.

You choose to believe what you want to believe, it's of no concern to me. 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Montana is da Man said:

I never said he should be fired, my initial post was in response to somebody thinking he should be in the coach of the year discussion. And my point was more about hearing from Steeler fans that were unhappy with him over the last 5 years. Not generally what you hear when you have a potential coach of the year. 

You don't have to preach to me about consistency, I've watched my team have high turnover at every key position, including owner in the past several decades with virtually no success to show for it. 

To get back on topic, for me the top 3 are Campbell, Pederson and Daboll

On 1/9/2023 at 12:09 PM, irish said:

That is true, led by our Daboll buddy. No doubt Daboll did a great job but how can you say he's the hands down winner over Pederson?!  

I've already laid out my arguments in support of Daboll. I have yet to see anyone make a solid case against them.

Pederson would be my 2nd choice, but again, based on all considerations, Daboll is the clear winner. 

3 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

Daboll and Pederson are tops. Pederson has a more talented roster so I think Daboll deserves it most. 

Yes Sir, absolutely. 

Not to mention that the Jags play in arguably the worst division in the league, and had plenty of cap space to aid in their free agency moves. 

And for what it's worth, I think most football fans would rather have Trevor Lawrence than Daniel Jones as their QB. 

28 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

I've already laid out my arguments in support of Daboll. I have yet to see anyone make a case against them.

Pederson would be my 2nd choice, but again, based on all considerations, Daboll is the clear winner. 

There is no clear winner and the point of rose colored glasses is that those that are wearing them can't see that they are. That is clearly the case here. You simply cannot say that Daboll is the clear winner over a coach like Pederson, and think you're going to get 100% agreement. Which ultimately means it's not a hands down selection.  who took the Trainwreck of a team like The Jaguars, after the year they suffered with Meyer, were expected to be just as bad as the Giants, bottom dwellers in their own divisions and certainly not making the playoffs.  The Jags had more turmoil last year than the Giants and a greener QB and RB to guide the way, then the Giants. Albeit, the Jags have better WRs.  Preseason rankings, neither team was expected to have a good defense. The Giants by some were ranked within 20-25, whereas the Jags were a bottom 5 defense. Is Daboll in the running, hell yes and he's done a great job!  However, Pederson has done just as well and neither is hands down the winner. 

Preseason thoughts from just a few sources, so both exceeded expectations. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2022-nfl-preview-bold-predictions-final-record-for-each-team-plus-playoff-picks-and-super-bowl-lvii-winner/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/nfl-predictions-every-game-team-224736989.html

Jags 27, Giants 28th https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34502379/nfl-team-previews-2022-predictions-fantasy-breakout-players-depth-charts-power-rankings-picks

Jags 3-14, Giants 5-12 https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-predictions-2022-final-standings-playoff-projections-super-bowl-57-pick/ndlfgncubaugwx6xdolpxxqb

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

That makes one of you.

He's completely being sarcastic. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, irish said:

There is no clear winner and the point of rose colored glasses is that those that are wearing them can't see that they are. That is clearly the case here. You simply cannot say that Daboll is the clear winner over a coach like Pederson, and think you're going to get 100% agreement. Which ultimately means it's not a hands down selection.  who took the Trainwreck of a team like The Jaguars, after the year they suffered with Meyer, were expected to be just as bad as the Giants, bottom dwellers in their own divisions and certainly not making the playoffs.  The Jags had more turmoil last year than the Giants and a greener QB and RB to guide the way, then the Giants. Albeit, the Jags have better WRs.  Preseason rankings, neither team was expected to have a good defense. The Giants by some were ranked within 20-25, whereas the Jags were a bottom 5 defense. Is Daboll in the running, hell yes and he's done a great job!  However, Pederson has done just as well and neither is hands down the winner. 

Preseason thoughts from just a few sources, so both exceeded expectations. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2022-nfl-preview-bold-predictions-final-record-for-each-team-plus-playoff-picks-and-super-bowl-lvii-winner/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/nfl-predictions-every-game-team-224736989.html

Jags 27, Giants 28th https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34502379/nfl-team-previews-2022-predictions-fantasy-breakout-players-depth-charts-power-rankings-picks

Jags 3-14, Giants 5-12 https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-predictions-2022-final-standings-playoff-projections-super-bowl-57-pick/ndlfgncubaugwx6xdolpxxqb

You make my argument for me.

The Jags were simply in a better position to have success, as opposed to the Giants. 

You conveniently sidestep the fact that the Jags have a better QB, and play in a dramatically weaker division. You can't make the claim that the Jags had "more turmoil" than the Giants, simply because Meyer was an acehall. Joe Judge created a tremendous amount of controversy and animosity himself, and the Giants were the laughing stock of the league as a result. 

Daboll came into arguably the most difficult market in the NFL, and turned this team around lickety split.

Please stop with the "homer" accusations, it's a really weak and unfounded argument, and it wreaks of gaslighting. 

On 1/8/2023 at 10:12 AM, Big John said:

I believe most of those awards are based on the regular season only.

I think that's correct.

@Big John I tried to PM you the other day and it said you couldn't get messages.... is your inbox full or do you have something set to not get PMs?  Got a question for you, sir.  :)

23 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

You make my argument for me.

The Jags were simply in a better position to have success, as opposed to the Giants. 

You conveniently sidestep the fact that the Jags have a better QB, and play in a dramatically weaker division. You can't make the claim that the Jags had "more turmoil" than the Giants, simply because Meyer was an acehall. Joe Judge created a tremendous amount of controversy and animosity himself, and the Giants were the laughing stock of the league as a result. 

Daboll came into arguably the most difficult market in the NFL, and turned this team around lickety split.

Please stop with the "homer" accusations, it's a really weak and unfounded argument, and it wreaks of gaslighting. 

Simply put, you can't say that Daboll is the "hands down winner", period. If you do, that's homerism at its finest.  Is he in the running and Front-runner?  Yes. But so is Pederson without question.  My issue isn't your affection for the job that the coach of your homer team did. It's your statement of hands down winner. That couldn't be further from the truth, is flat out dismissing the job that Pederson and others have done and that's just not fair, accurate or without bias. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1