[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rome doing MNF?

Glabra

I wonder if they have thought about rotating different announcers through like they do with Sportscenter.  Maybe one week you get Sportscenter anchors, the next you would get Mike and Mike, the next you would get Rome, the next you would get Berman, etc...

Just keep mixing it up each week so you never know what you're going to get and you're never stuck with the same bad crew every week.

786657[/snapback]

There was some speculation in that regard after they dumped Esiason. They were going to keep Michaels and Dierdorf and would have a "special guest", like Dennis Miller, each week to bring some "common guy humor" into it. Miller would have been a great part-time third guy... and then guys like Rome, Chris Rock, heck, even Madden, etc... would have been great to have in the booth for one MNF.

I think Rome can be very funny at times, very obvious/unoriginal/idiotic other times. He's hit or miss for me, but I'd prefer someone like him to Madden...and I personally think Dennis Miller was much better than he got credit for.

786016[/snapback]

I agree with that description of Rome. ANYBODY is better than Madden, but I just can't imagine Rome doing a live football broadcast. I realize his show is "live", but it's pretty clear most of his "takes" are well-scripted beforehand. Not that I don't crack up sometimes, but he's not ad-libbing completely.

I'll try to give a quick rundown...

Michaels -- Sure. I've got no problem with him. Not great, but very solid.

Berman -- No. He's irritating and he's never impressed me with football acumen.

Young -- Uhh, I don't think so. He'd be mediocre, but he says some pretty stupid things on Countdown.

Miller -- Sure. Never had a problem with him either. Reliable for quick wit.

Esiason -- Yes. He's smart and he knows his football. Plus, he's not a pussie.

Irvin -- Why not? He'd be as good as anybody in the "3rd-Wheel" role.

Sunday Night Crew -- HELL NO. Those three are the biggest abomination of a broadcast crew in the history of time. It's absolutely unbelievable that they've held those jobs this long.

I'm okay with Al Michaels--Madden needs to concentrate on his X-box sequels so don't bring him over....replace him and his horse trailer with his hero--Brett Favre who will be retired (what irony would that be!!) and for color (In Living Color) have Ricky Williams as your 3rd wheel in the booth...by the 3rd quarter they'd all be laughing ordering subs and there would be Ron Mexico sightings in the stadium--all announced on air...I'd much rather see Favre and Williams than Madden or Rome or Berman...tells you how they rate on my talent scale as play-by-play!! :D

A Rome experiment would be as bad as the Limbaugh experiment and the Dennis Miller experiment. Forget talking heads and comedians. They try tooooo hard to be the show. There's no show needed. Let let the game be the show. How about a true football reporter to report the action as it happens and an articulate former player to share some insights?

I used to hate Rome as well, especially after that Everitt thing way back. But on my long commute home at night (CT drive up rt 95 or the Merritt), it's either him, lame music or Steve Sommers on the FAN. Not wanting to fall asleep at the wheel, Rome won out and after a while he grows on ya. He's not great, and his intereviews are major a$$ kissing, but he says some funny stuff. That clone schtick is tired, though... very Rush Limbaugh-Ditto Heads.

But Dennis Miller is, and always will be, the worst thing MNF ever did. His sense of humor is hardly one that the common guy could relate too and used far too many "I'm so smart for referencing____" jokes that clearly sounded like he wrote them down the day before and was just dying to get them out somehow.

In fact, the whole commedian commentator/annalyst thing was lame and contrived out the gate, it only shows how far HBO's Inside the NFL has fallen that they still employ 2 on that show.

A Rome experiment would be as bad as the Limbaugh experiment

787643[/snapback]

I'm sorry, no one could possibly be as bad as the "King of Pain(killers)". :D

I do listen to Rome on the radio, but his schitck just doesn't seem to work on TV. Berman on the other hand would be even worse than the Sunday night crew. Like others above, I wouldn't be opposed to Fouts or Esaison.

Edited by major-tom

Like George Bush (the worst president in my lifetime by far), Pat Riley (what'd he ever do without Magic & Kareem), and Katie Couric (nice legs but the worst interviewer ever), you have to wonder how Jim Rome got to be where he is. He must give great head! If there is a God above, he will not be on MNF.

I remember when I was a kid I hated Cosell. Though in recent years I have gained a new appreciation of the man and his accomplishments.

But if ESPN thinks they can capture the Cosell magic with Jim Rome, thye are sadly mistaken. Cosell could spout out more fresh material in 15 minutes than Rome can on his radio show on his best day. Off the top of his head. Spontaneously.

I try to listen to Rome sometimes, but every time I become disinterested very quickly. His schtick is old. It's never fresh. And the only people I would not rather be forced to listen to would be "I think" and "watch this".

My luck they put all 3 in the booth. Talk about the 3 stooges.

"I think Jay Fiedler could be one of the top 4 or 5 quarterbacks in the league in the right situation"

"Here is Fiedler stiff arming the linebacker on the last play....he resets his feet, and then WATCH THIS!!!"

"That was phenomenal"

Hand me my gun.....................

Edited by rattsass

Based on the current ESPN lineup, we think that the network will end up going semi-safe, but semi-controversial with its Monday night booth by teaming Berman, Steve Young, and Jim Rome.

Rome is awful and I don't have strong feelings either way about Berman.

This I will say: Steve Young is hot. :D

whatever they do, just keep the two person booth. Couple of guys on SIRIUS NFL radio were talking about this and were kicking around Mike Tirico and Madden. Sure Madden may have run his course, but it could be worse.

As for Rome, no f'in way. He's a big arse-kisser. He hated Dick Vitale until DV came on the show, then he was his boy. I quit listening to him a long time ago, he wears out his schtick real quick.

As for the ESPN crew, I can't think of them without that "old cat burglars" reference a while back the week they went with the black turtle necks.

:D wait.... :D

In my opinion, you need an announcer that tells it like it is, instead of worrying about making friends with the players. I understand why they all are kiss-asses though. They have to see those players every few weeks through the season. They won't talk to you if you bad mouth them on TV. No more interviews. No more scoops. Plus, you'd have a huge guy mad at you. :D We need an announcer that doesn't care about making friends. I want someone to say, "Kyle Boller sucks. He couldn't throw a ball in the ocean from the shore." Instead, we get Theisman saying, "I really think Kyle Boller can be a top 5 QB in this league."

Huh??? :D

That's what we need. Where we gonna find him?

In my opinion, you need an announcer that tells it like it is, instead of worrying about making friends with the players.  I understand why they all are kiss-asses though.  They have to see those players every few weeks through the season.  They won't talk to you if you bad mouth them on TV.  No more interviews.  No more scoops.  Plus, you'd have a huge guy mad at you. :D  We need an announcer that doesn't care about making friends.  I want someone to say, "Kyle Boller sucks.  He couldn't throw a ball in the ocean from the shore."  Instead, we get Theisman saying, "I really think Kyle Boller can be a top 5 QB in this league."

Huh??? :D 

That's what we need.  Where we gonna find him?

789221[/snapback]

Johnny Miller is the only one I can think of, too bad he is a golf announcer. :D

whatever they do, just keep the two person booth. Couple of guys on SIRIUS NFL radio were talking about this and were kicking around Mike Tirico and Madden. Sure Madden may have run his course, but it could be worse.

As for Rome, no f'in way. He's a big arse-kisser. He hated Dick Vitale until DV came on the show, then he was his boy. I quit listening to him a long time ago, he wears out his schtick real quick.

As for the ESPN crew, I can't think of them without that "old cat burglars" reference a while back the week they went with the black turtle necks.

:D  wait.... :D

789190[/snapback]

Loving the Avi cmoore. Getting in a little research before the draft?

This I will say:  Steve Young is hot.  :D

788943[/snapback]

Squeege -- you should know this is NOT COOL here at the huddle. :D

By the way, I've heard reports that Young still feels the occasional effects of his concussions suffered while playing. Apparently, people in his own neighborhood have had to lead him back to his house after he's gotten "lost". I almost feel sorry for him, then I realize that, with all the money he's made, he could just buy a new house every time he forgets where his old one is. :D

Would Rome just repeat the same thing over each hour of the game like he does on his radio show?

785907[/snapback]

You hit the nail on the head. His show would be entertaining if not for the constant repetition of the same lines. I can only listen to it for about ten minutes.

You hit the nail on the head. His show would be entertaining if not for the constant repetition of the same lines. I can only listen to it for about ten minutes.

789545[/snapback]

10 minutes is all you'd need. Sometimes I swear that show is on a loop.

Johnny Miller is a fliping bad person.  I'd rather have Rome and Madden than that tard.  :D

789428[/snapback]

He may be, I don't know really. He is critical of his peers, that was my point.

And yes VQ2, I have to get alittle research in to win those Jags/Hawks tix. No sense in paying if we can get in for free.

I haven't been in the Huddle rotation lately with the newborn around. :D

Something has to give.....work time!

Edited by cmoore