[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rome doing MNF?

Glabra

Based on the current ESPN lineup, we think that the network will end up going semi-safe, but semi-controversial with its Monday night booth by teaming Berman, Steve Young, and Jim Rome. 

Rome is the closest thing to Cosell among the current crop of talking heads, and the chemistry would be a lot more volatile if ESPN were to use a more outspoken former player, like Michael Irvin or Joe Namath (with an open bar) or (from Rome's perspective) Jim Everett. 

But our guess is that, in the end, the powers-that-be will try to avoid setting up a potential free-for-all while at the same time being edgy.  Their best bet will be to combine Rome with a couple of the standard puppet-type straight men.

Berman, Young and Rome doing MNF would probably make for some novelty interest, but I hope they get some real football guys in the booth. Maybe snag one of the young and upcoming guys from Fox or CBS.

Berman tries too hard to be the show himself. Rome is good for a few laughs, but likely incapable of any serious analysis or color. He'll probably suggest linemen to 'mix in a salad', or declare every drive to be PHENOMENAL! :D

No chance in hell.

If they do anything but run with the same crew as MNF, in order to keep as much the same as possible to help lessen the shock of moving to cable, they will go with their SNF crew for the same reason.

I love Rome (tooka few years for him to grow on me), but boothe material he is not.

I love Rome (tooka few years for him to grow on me), but boothe material he is not.

785868[/snapback]

I detest Rome, he always states the obvious in an obnoxious tone, then makes an easy pop culture/other sports analogy. I remember the first episode of "Rome is Burning", on ESPN in primetime. In his closing monologue, he literally said that "terrorism is totally not cool." He calls all his listeners his "clones"; the sad thing is that half of them do exactly what he does just as well as he does it.

However, I'd vastly prefer that to Old Senile Whatshisname talking up every single warm body on the field.

Peace

policy

Rome is so overated, how is this guy supposed to be controversial, he just kisses the ass of whoever is on his show. The only thing he ever did was call Jim Everett Chris, since then he's done nothing. It would be more interesting if the dug up ol' Howard and stuck him in the booth.

Would Rome just repeat the same thing over each hour of the game like he does on his radio show?

785907[/snapback]

Exactly. Rome just says the same thing a different way ad nauseum. He's a moran. I'm still wondering how he got the job he has now since he's never displayed any sports knowledge every time I've listened.

I'd like to see Berman and Young trying to fill Rome's trademark 20-second dead-air spaces, during which all we hear are papers being shuffled and crumpled. :D

I think Rome can be very funny at times, very obvious/unoriginal/idiotic other times. He's hit or miss for me, but I'd prefer someone like him to Madden...and I personally think Dennis Miller was much better than he got credit for.

Exactly.  Rome just says the same thing a different way ad nauseum.  He's a moran.  I'm still wondering how he got the job he has now since he's never displayed any sports knowledge every time I've listened.

786013[/snapback]

The second time Timmay and I have agreed on something. :D

I'd like to see Berman and Young trying to fill Rome's trademark 20-second dead-air spaces, during which all we hear are papers being shuffled and crumpled. :D

I think Rome can be very funny at times, very obvious/unoriginal/idiotic other times. He's hit or miss for me, but I'd prefer someone like him to Madden...and I personally think Dennis Miller was much better than he got credit for.

786016[/snapback]

I'm completely against that fat windbag Berman being in the mix at all. If I were them, I'd keep Al Michaels for play-by-play, use Young as the commentator, and give Rome the Miller-esque "wise guy" job.

Your analysis of Rome is dead-on, though. Very hit-or-miss and those pauses are rather annoying, although I think that he'd do well in the aforementioned scenario where he could pick his spots. At the very least, he'd be a significant improvement over Madden, who has become the Don Imus of sports broadcasting.

I'm completely against that fat windbag Berman being in the mix at all.  If I were them, I'd keep Al Michaels for play-by-play, use Young as the commentator, and give Rome the Miller-esque "wise guy" job.

Your analysis of Rome is dead-on, though.  Very hit-or-miss and those pauses are rather annoying, although I think that he'd do well in the aforementioned scenario where he could pick his spots.  At the very least, he'd be a significant improvement over Madden, who has become the Don Imus of sports broadcasting.

786075[/snapback]

Personally, I think Al Michaels is tired and worn out. If they want to change something, they need to replace him. They keep changing the "color" guy, but keep Michaels. Just don't get it. Boomer Esiason was also good and they replaced him.

I know I am in the minority, but I much prefer the Sunday night guys over Madden and Michaels.

I agree with an earlier post, I think they will try and make the transition as seamless as possible by keeping everything the same.

I'm completely against that fat windbag Berman being in the mix at all.  If I were them, I'd keep Al Michaels for play-by-play, use Young as the commentator, and give Rome the Miller-esque "wise guy" job.

Your analysis of Rome is dead-on, though.  Very hit-or-miss and those pauses are rather annoying, although I think that he'd do well in the aforementioned scenario where he could pick his spots.  At the very least, he'd be a significant improvement over Madden, who has become the Don Imus of sports broadcasting.

786075[/snapback]

Great call. Michaels is a MNF staple, if you ask me. Not having him in the booth would be a huge, huge mistake. I could see Young being a great "football guy" commentator, and Rome as the wise-guy snapper.

I wonder if they have thought about rotating different announcers through like they do with Sportscenter. Maybe one week you get Sportscenter anchors, the next you would get Mike and Mike, the next you would get Rome, the next you would get Berman, etc...

Just keep mixing it up each week so you never know what you're going to get and you're never stuck with the same bad crew every week.