[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who was the best #1 pick ever

Bengal Mania

The other post about Marshal Faulk taking a back seat got me to thinkin' about how quick we forget the Super Studs who carried our FFL teams.

When injuries or age catch up, we seldom pause for even a silent salute to those that carried us to FFL glory for a year or two.

So who was the best "Surefire #1 pick" in your opinion. Don't need a poll, just your comments.

LT (current)

Priest

Faulk

Edge (not sure he was ever consensus, but he was 50/50 w/ Marshal one year)

T Davis

the list goes on (further back than I can remember)

Faulk gets my vote. I never had him, but the team that did was in the playoffs no matter what for 3-4 years.

Edited by Bengal Mania

Big John beat me to it. I was gonna say Emmitt. A buddy of mine was in a league when he lived in Minnesota and no one was allowed to draft Emmitt because of the numbers he was putting up.

Jamal Anderson had some nice years too but Id say Emmitt,Priest and Marshall are the 3 biggest studs..

Terrel Davis was a monster too..I basically aggree with the guys you mentioned already :D

Edited by whomper

Brett Favre in the mid/late 90's . I took him over TD with #1 pick in 97. (Everyone laughed at me but I won the championship, the guy who took TD missed the playoffs!) :D:D

Also agree with Emmitt, Marshall and Priest! (Emmitt was my first ever pick in fantasy football)

I still remember the Monday night game where I was down by huge points and Emmitt went off for 5 TD's!! :D My opponent ( who took Faulk over Emmitt that year) could only :D as I pulled off the win! :D

I remember Steve Young being the number 1 pick and Jerry Rice going #2 for a couple years in the early 90's. Back before the days of the Stud RB theory!!! :D

Faulk will always be remembered fondly for carrying me on his back through the 2000 season and into the title game. Something like 2400 total yds, 26 TDs. Awesome. I remember going into Monday night, week 16 vs TB, down by a hugh number in the title game and joking to the guys in my league that all I needed out of Faulk was like 4TDs and 200 Yds. I think he did something like 4 and 150. The guy was a FF machine.

Not the best #1 ever but certainly the best #2 was Jamal Lewis in 2003. I drafted Edge at 1.09 and Lewis at 2.04. Won it all with that backfield. They combined for something like 3700 total yds and 26TDs.

Faulk will always be remembered fondly for carrying me on his back through the 2000 season and into the title game.  Something like 2400 total yds, 26 TDs.  Awesome.  I remember going into Monday night, week 16 vs TB, down by a hugh number in the title game and joking to the guys in my league that all I needed out of Faulk was like 4TDs and 200 Yds.  I think he did something like 4 and 150.  The guy was a FF machine.

Not the best #1 ever but certainly the best #2 was Jamal Lewis in 2003.  I drafted Edge at 1.09 and Lewis at 2.04.  Won it all with that backfield.  They combined for something like 3700 total yds and 26TDs.

833943[/snapback]

I remember that game BS. I had Faulk and the guy I was playing against had Dunn. We were just about even going into that game and I thought I had it wrapped up. I don't remember Dunn's numbers, but he put up a monster game himself. I ended up winning but it was a little closer than I anticipated. Fun stuff.

Emmitt Smith, Terrell Davis, Marshall Faulk and Priest Holmes...............in their haydays, they were soooooooo much better than everyone else.

834136[/snapback]

And also going back a few more years ... Steve Young & Dan Marino,

Faulk will always be remembered fondly for carrying me on his back through the 2000 season and into the title game.  Something like 2400 total yds, 26 TDs.  Awesome.  I remember going into Monday night, week 16 vs TB, down by a hugh number in the title game and joking to the guys in my league that all I needed out of Faulk was like 4TDs and 200 Yds.  I think he did something like 4 and 150.  The guy was a FF machine.

Not the best #1 ever but certainly the best #2 was Jamal Lewis in 2003.  I drafted Edge at 1.09 and Lewis at 2.04.  Won it all with that backfield.  They combined for something like 3700 total yds and 26TDs.

833943[/snapback]

Lewis's rookie year I took Edge at No. 1 (over Faulk) then Lewis @ 2.10...I won it all that year.

Natrone Means had a pretty good year when I had him. Lost the championship because he was questionable and I didn't play him.

How about Andre Rison, Marcus Allen, Bo (Raider RB), Walter Peyton. They were pretty good.

In my local league, these are the best 5 first round picks I can remember - I don't remember how many of them were #1 overall - (we've been doing this a long time)

1. Emmitt Smith

2. John Riggins

3. Dan Marino

4. LaDanian Tomlinson

5. Peyton Manning

Worst #1 pick was Ryan Leaf

5. Peyton Manning

Worst #1 pick was Ryan Leaf

836095[/snapback]

Leaf was the #2 pick in 1998, with Peyton Manning being #1.

The others were not ae #1 overall NFL pick.

OK, I guess my intent wasn't clear to many of you (that's ok, it's an open discussion anyway.)

What I meant to discuss are those surefire FFL first picks in the draft (#1.01) that were unanimous choices and caused everyone to want the #1.01 pick. I didn't mean NFL draft #1 picks, or your personal pick anywhere in FFL round 1, or any first round NFL player.

Marshall Faulk - everybody wanted the #1.01 pick to get him because it meant playoffs for sure, and probably a Superbowl victory.

Priest - was only the consensus #1.01 for 1 year at draft time (was it even that?) due to timing of coming alive and timing of injuries, but for 2-3 years, was the absolute best FFL player to have. (I got him in the 6th round in his 1st breakout year, and I walked away with the points championship.

Terrell Davis - don't remember how many years he was the BEST.

Favre and Young have been mentioned. They were easy 1.01 picks in my league years ago. We used to have scoring where a score out of position (QB running score, RB rec score, etc) was double points, so you can bet Young was an easy #1 for us. Thurman Thomas was a very high RB back then, for this same reason.

Emmit Smith was a TD machine and easy in TD leagues.

Leaf was the #2 pick in 1998, with Peyton Manning being #1.

The others were not ae #1 overall NFL pick.

836097[/snapback]

Please go back and read the original question before "correcting" me.

I know that Peyton Manning was picked ahead of Ryan Leaf in the NFL draft. No one here needs you to tell them that.

The question referred to #1 overall Fantasy Football picks. If you even bothered to read the caption under the original subject line you might realize that - it says "a trip down FFL memory lane".

Rice was probably never a #1 pick but this is an impressive stretch.

1986 San Francisco 49ers  86 1570  15  1987 San Francisco 49ers  65 1078  22 1988 San Francisco 49ers  64 1306  9 1989 San Francisco 49ers  82 1483  17 1990 San Francisco 49ers  100 1502  13 1991 San Francisco 49ers  80 1206  14 1992 San Francisco 49ers  84 1201  10 1993 San Francisco 49ers  98 1503  15 1994 San Francisco 49ers  112 1499  13 1995 San Francisco 49ers  122 1848  15 1996 San Francisco 49ers  108 1254  8 

When one of my local leagues first formed (this is a long time ago now people) the scoring system was such that the consensus #1 picks were always Kickers. That's right... Kickers. Did anybody else ever go through that phase?

Please go back and read the original question before "correcting" me.

I know that Peyton Manning was picked ahead of Ryan Leaf in the NFL draft.  No one here needs you to tell them that.

The question referred to #1 overall Fantasy Football picks.  If you even bothered to read the caption under the original subject line you might realize that - it says "a trip down FFL memory lane".

836132[/snapback]

No need to get all defensive about it. Having a bad day?