[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The greatest sports movie of all time

Randall

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personal faves, as of this moment:

1)Slap Shot - foul, nasty, and I hear a thoroughly accurate depiction of minor-league hockey; the Hansons rightly get most of the love, but the whole cast is hilarious. '

2)Eight Men Out - probably the "best" sports film in terms of quality, Slap Shot ranks ahead on my list because it's more fun to watch

3) North Dallas Forty - hands down the best football movie ever.

4)Tin Cup - everybody loves Caddyshack - and rightly so - but without Carl Spackler, it would have been a tad thin. Plus I once had a dream that I was married to Rene Russo.

5)For Love of the Game - I think Costner is pretty worthless EXCEPT when you put him in a sports flick; this was an underrated gem directed by Sam Raimi

Honorable Mention: 61* - geez, I love this flick; my wife always busts me for getting a bit teary-eyed at the end; Friday Night Lights - would've been better if they'd kept a bit closer to the book, but still might make a run at NDF for best football flick

It is... without a doubt... Hoosiers. Very few movies bring out the deepest of emotions for me... and Hoosiers is the only one that is so near and dear to my heart that gets me every... single... time.

For other reasons, there are good ones like Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, heck, even Varsity Blues has its good points.

But yeah, Hoosiers. No one on this board or anywhere else will ever dissaude me to think otherwise.

Hoosiers is the #1 and a personal favorite of mine is All the Right Moves. A much skinnier Chris Penn is a heck of a team captain!! The scene where Ampipe is riding on the bus to play the 'rich kids' and Penn is doing the Rosary and is all choked up....great drama(of course he'd just found out his girlfriend is pregnant and he won't be going to USC)but a great flic all in all.

Edited by Tyler Rose

Caddyshack is the funniest. I still laugh 20+ years later. Ted Knight's character is one of the best, over the top, characatures (sp?) of all time.

But I think the best is The Natural. If I am flipping channels and see that it is on, I am watching it.

Others that make my top five: Hoosiers, Field of Dreams, North Dallas Forty and Bull Durham.

I haven't seen Cinderella Man, but I hear it is so good that it may crack the list.

nice topic

my favorites in no particular order...

Million Dollar Baby, Hoosiers, The Natural, The Rookie, Miracle...there are so many good ones, but i really loved the stories in these movies

and my sleeper pick for a great sports pick is Murderball, allthought it is a documentary

I would have to say that Hoosiers is the best ever made. It has everything, a David versus Goliath, the inner-struggle of Jimmy, and Dennis Hopper as a drunk. I also enjoy Rudy, even though I do not like ND. "Who's the wild man now?" What a great line!

Major League (the original) was the best movie ever made.

872630[/snapback]

Not the best movie ever, not the best sports movie ever, doubtful it's a top ten baseball movie ever (let's see - Eight Men Out, For Love of the Game, Bull Durham, Bang the Drum Slowly, The Natural, Bad News Bears....okay, maybe it squeaks into the top ten) - they've been showing it constantly on HBO or whatever, and while it's nice as a Milwaukeean to see the old Corrugated Lady again, Major League is just a fun B-movie with a recycled plot and obvious gags. Nothing wrong with it, but I don't think it gets anywhere near "greatness."

It is... without a doubt... Hoosiers.  Very few movies bring out the deepest of emotions for me... and Hoosiers is the only one that is so near and dear to my heart that gets me every... single... time.

But yeah, Hoosiers.  No one on this board or anywhere else will ever dissaude me to think otherwise.

872570[/snapback]

I'm not trying to disabuse you of the notion that Hoosiers is great - it's a high-quality flick that pushes all the right buttons; it just personally doesn't really do much for me - I enjoyed it, but it's nothing I go out of my way to watch.

I'm not trying to disabuse you of the notion that Hoosiers is great - it's a high-quality flick that pushes all the right buttons; it just personally doesn't really do much for me - I enjoyed it, but it's nothing I go out of my way to watch.

873964[/snapback]

Well it's obvious from the post referenced below that you're an aficianado of baseball flicks, in which case, you probably wouldn't have the same feelings for a basketball movie. I'm a basketball guy, and haven't even seen all those baseball movies you referenced... so guess it's really just a matter of opinion and what "your sport" is. :D

Not the best movie ever, not the best sports movie ever, doubtful it's a top ten baseball movie ever (let's see - Eight Men Out, For Love of the Game, Bull Durham, Bang the Drum Slowly, The Natural, Bad News Bears....okay, maybe it squeaks into the top ten) - they've been showing it constantly on HBO or whatever, and while it's nice as a Milwaukeean to see the old Corrugated Lady again, Major League is just a fun B-movie with a recycled plot and obvious gags. Nothing wrong with it, but I don't think it gets anywhere near "greatness."

873960[/snapback]

873960[/snapback]

Nope.

Still Major League. Although I'm not familiar with Bang the Drum Slowly.

Uecker should have won an Oscar.

Easily the most quotable sports movie:

"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair"

"Juuuuuuuuust a bit outside"

"Jesus, I like him very much, but he no help with curveball"

"You trying to tell me Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"

Just a sampler... I think I need to go watch this again.

heck, even Varsity Blues has its good points.

872570[/snapback]

Namely, Ali Larter in a whip-cream bikini....yum.

I vote for Bull Durham. Maybe not the greatest movie from a dramatic or film-making standpoint, but it's extremely entertaining and fun to watch. I've seen it a million times already and still can watch it. :D

Major League

The Natural

If I see them on, I watch them.

Hoosiers was a great movie, but I hate basketball, so I don't love it.

Friday Night Lights was good, but nothing special.

Too many others to list as very, very good, but those two are my favorites.

Ill say "Major league".

Also "A league of their own" wasnt bad either  :D

875001[/snapback]

Agree, enjoyed a league of their own. Top on the top of my list, but probably in the top 10.

Perhaps this deserves an effort first to make a sports movie compilation, and then to do a ranking.

Of course, we would beed to establish some parameters. Are Days of Thunder, Stroker Ace, Gladiator, or The Fast and the Furious sports movies? Not in my book, but sports can be viewed fairly broadly.

How about we make a list of acceptable sports:

Running

Cycling

Baseball

Football

Soccer

Hockey

Basketball

Golf

Tennis

Skiing

Skating