[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lamont Jordon Projections?

The Stoner

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've gotta look at Norv's history - it's been EXTREMELY rare for his teams to pass more than they run; and while I think Moss is a stud, future Hall-of-Famer Micheal Irvin topped out at 8 tds with Norv calling the shots.

Turner's first year with the Skins (94), they finished 23rd in rushing att, 24th in yds, and 22nd in ypc with a bunch of who-dats. In 95, they got Terry Allen - who promptly tallied 1300+ yds and 10 tds while toting the rock 20 times a game. Turner also oversaw some of Stephen Davis' banner years, not to mention Ricky Williams' most productive season. And yet, no WR has really had great success finding the end zone often under him.

Turner knows how to pound big backs in a ball-control offense. I'd lean towards a 1200 yd, double-digit td season.

You've gotta look at Norv's history - it's been EXTREMELY rare for his teams to pass more than they run;

894702[/snapback]

Well....except for last year of course. His team was the 4th most prolific at pass plays called for the entire NFL.......and dead last in calling run plays.

Speaking of previous seasons. Do you think that maybe a couple of the reasons Norv catered to the run so much in his previous stints as OC, was because that's the direction the Head Coach desired the offense to go, combined with the calibre of the RB's?

Dallas had Emmitt Smith as the RB.

San Diego had LT.

Miami had Ricky Williams.

Washington had Stephen Davis. (The only stint where Norv was Head Coach and one year he actually had a pair of 1,000 yd WR's)

I don't think anyone can say that Jordan is on par with any of the above mentioned backs.....well.....at least not yet anyways.

And none of those offenses had a WR the likes of Randy Moss.

I really don't think Al Davis signed off on getting Randy Moss, just so Norv could feature Lamont Jordan and the ground game.

But I could be wrong. Maybe he did. Me, I'm not willing to take that gamble.

Well....except for last year of course. His team was the 4th most prolific at pass plays called for the entire NFL.......and dead last in calling run plays.

Speaking of previous seasons. Do you think that maybe a couple of the reasons Norv catered to the run so much in his previous stints as OC, was because that's the direction the Head Coach desired the offense to go, combined with the calibre of the RB's?

San Diego had LT.

Washington had Stephen Davis. (The only stint where Norv was Head Coach and one year he actually had a pair of 1,000 yd WR's)

I don't think anyone can say that Jordan is on par with any of the above mentioned backs.....well.....at least not yet anyways.

I really don't think Al Davis signed off on getting Randy Moss, just so Norv could feature Lamont Jordan and the ground game.

894802[/snapback]

My thinking, exactly. I think Jordan's a fine runner and he probably has 1,000+ yards in those legs, but will he get the chance? I think he'll probably get 60-80 yards a game... so I'll bump him up to around 1,100 yards and 10 scores.

Didn't hear that Zereoue is no longer on the team. Fargas won't take make carries... neither will Crockett.

IMO there is not a coach more overrated for his offensive "genius" than Norv Turner.    . .

894841[/snapback]

Holmgren :D

San Diego had LT.

894802[/snapback]

yea...who did he have running the ball? :D

....exactly

I think possibly most people's Jordan projections, are way, way, way underestimating the impact Randy Moss is likely to have on this offense.

Make no mistake about it, Moss is the marquee player signing by the Raiders this off season......not Jordan.

Moss was not signed to open up the run game for Jordan.

Jordan was signed to give the ground game some much needed ummph and open up the passing game for Moss & Porter.

Norv knew Tyronne Wheatley's best days were behind him. He couldn't stay healthy and thus failed to get the job done. Obviously Norv didn't feel the other backs on the roster, Fargas, Zeroue, Redmond could either.

Can you guys tell me what NFL team is and always has been, synonymous with the deep game? Wouldn't that be Al "Bombs Away" Davis and his Raiders?

Can you guys tell me which NFL team had the fourth most pass attempts last year?

Can you guys tell me which NFL team had one of the absolute worst D's last year and this year traded away their starting Middle Linebacker and one of their starting CB's?

Generally, what type of offensive games do you end up with when you have a bad D? Typically, you'll find yourself involved in a lot of shootouts. I know the usual thinking is for teams to try and keep the other teams offense off the field and thus protect the weak D with a ball control philosophy, but it rarely works out that way.

Moss is also one of the pre-eminent Goal Line threats in the game today. For that matter, Porter ain't no slouch himself.

I see Jordan with right around a 1,000 yds rushing, maybe another 200 yds in the passing game and 7 to 9 TD's total.

My .02..........for what it's worth.  :D

894502[/snapback]

That why I have Collins ranked #3 behind Brooks and Losman. :D I'm actually very high on Collins this year.

Bottom line, even with the worst projections on this thread Jordan is a viable #2 in upcoming drafts.

I think you've nailed it with this Clubfoothead.

895550[/snapback]

yuup...a #2 is what he'd be....anyone selecting him in the 1st round would be silly...

but if you have a top 5 back and take Jordan in the 2nd....then eureka..

I think Lamont will be good for a top 20 performance, barring significant injuries. He's a pretty decent, good-sized back, and I expect the Raiders will give him the ball quite a bit. The biggest concern I have about Lamont's numbers is not the system or the personnel, but the Raiders D. This is not one of the great Raiders defenses of old, and if the team is down by 2 TDs at halftime, Lamont might not get a lot of carries.

Also, I am not a Kerry Collins fan. I think his penchant for interceptions caused by his poor decision-making is going to kill more than a few Raider drives this year, and allow opposing teams to put some more points on the board.

Speaking of last season, do you think that maybe a reason Norv catered to the pass so much was because of the caliber of the RBs?

Ricky Williams was solid but hardly dominating before he got to Turner;Terry Allen was a tough vet on two creaky knees; and Stephen Davis was nobody.

Not saying Jordan WILL match that, it's just that the pedigree isn't as great as you'd like to think.

894802[/snapback]

I'll grant that Moss ranks up there with Rice, Alworth, and Hutson in their relative primes; but Turner HAS had decent WRs in Irvin, an older but still VERY productive Henry Ellard, and playmaking Chris Chambers - and none have caught double-digit tds. Moss has gone through periods where his tds weren't all that before - AND Robert Smith managed to rack up some pretty productive years with Moss.

Personally, I think the trend of Norv pounding the ball at the goal line and Kerry Collin's historically low td totals (he throws the deep ball well - once you get in the red zone, it's not a "deep ball" anymore) collide to give Moss a nice season yardage-wise but a disappointing one as far as TDs go - TDs that Lamont Jordan will get. Plus about 300 carries.

Really makes you think about Porter vs. Burleson, too.  :D

:I'mdrunk:

896494[/snapback]

Keep that talk up and DMD might get out his ban gun. :D

while we are all i think in agreement that he will be a good rb2, what if he blows up? besides the tough start to his schedule, he plays against many weak defensed division foes, with games going "over" lofty over/under numbers regularly. bottom line, he is the starting rb on a team that will need to score alot to win. that has to be good, doesn't it. i see a solid chance at a top 10 ranking.

while we are all i think in agreement that he will be a good rb2, what if he blows up?  besides the tough start to his schedule, he plays against many weak defensed division foes, with games going "over" lofty over/under numbers regularly.  bottom line, he is the starting rb on a team that will need to score alot to win.  that has to be good, doesn't it.  i see a solid chance at a top 10 ranking.

896560[/snapback]

easily...especially if he's on my team...

I'm notorious for having at least 2 top 10 RB's by years end...

*reminisces about 2002 when he had Portis, Deuce and Henry*...last year I had Droughns, LT2 and umm...well...I played the Viking backfield well as I had Moore, Bennett and Smith...with 1 pt per rec...they were downright nasty and almost every week I had a top 10 worthy back :D same for Droughns double - :D:D

I think Lamont will be good for a top 20 performance, barring significant injuries.  He's a pretty decent, good-sized back, and I expect the Raiders will give him the ball quite a bit.  The biggest concern I have about Lamont's numbers is not the system or the personnel, but the Raiders D.  This is not one of the great Raiders defenses of old, and if the team is down by 2 TDs at halftime, Lamont might not get a lot of carries.

Also, I am not a Kerry Collins fan.  I think his penchant for interceptions caused by his poor decision-making is going to kill more than a few Raider drives this year, and allow opposing teams to put some more points on the board.

896275[/snapback]

This is the view I have as a Denver homer. Although I agree with Avernus that he is worth the risk if you already have a top 5.

To me the D is a serious concern, as is Moss, and even more importantly Crokett at the goal line.

Will Collins be sober enough to play with intelligence this year? I sure hope not.

Bottom line, even with the worst projections on this thread Jordan is a viable #2 in upcoming drafts.

I don't disagree, but even as a viable #2, I think it's a mistake to take him earlier than the third round simply because taking him in the second would probably mean passing on one of the top five WRs, and there's no way that I'm going to pass on Moss, Owens, Holt, Harrison, or Chad Johnson for a guy who has yet to prove that he can be a starter in the NFL.

Now don't you guys see the dilemma I'm in?!?!?!? If I keep Lamont, I lose my chance to enter the draft early and get a rookie RB. Its horrible!! Truly torments me for at least one hour every single day.

I think he will under perform the consensus expectations because 1)first time as a feature back and 2)OAK has the second hardest schedule for RBs

894700[/snapback]

Just because he is a first year feature back doesn't mean he is gonna underachieve. And people really do overplay the schedule idea. If he is facing a good team, more often than not him and the rest of the team will step up their game. Raiders should be decent this year. I think Jordan is a huge sleeper and I'm def looking to pick him up in my draft.

Just because he is a first year feature back doesn't mean he is gonna underachieve. And people really do overplay the schedule idea. If he is facing a good team, more often than not him and the rest of the team will step up their game. Raiders should be decent this year. I think Jordan is a huge sleeper and I'm def looking to pick him up in my draft.

896886[/snapback]

"overplay the schedule idea"???.....did ClubFootHead already kick you???

"him and the rest of the team will step up their game"??? Sheot, least we forget Mr. Lynch and Mr. Bailey.....

The Raiders will be tough this year no doubt......if you have no offense!!!

To call Jordan a sleeper just demonstrates your lack of knowledge.

Keep your commentary to the east coast and you'll be fine.

I would gladly take my chances on him as my RB2. I can't see him in any RBBC this year, so that's a real bonus. Even if he only gets around 250 carries, and a handful of catches, that should equate to around 1300+ total yards. Can't whine about that with a mid-late 2nd round pick. Wouldn't want him as my RB1 though.

"overplay the schedule idea"???.....did ClubFootHead already kick you???

"him and the rest of the team will step up their game"???  Sheot, least we forget Mr. Lynch and Mr. Bailey.....

The Raiders will be tough this year no doubt......if you have no offense!!!

To call Jordan a sleeper just demonstrates your lack of knowledge.

Keep your commentary to the east coast and you'll be fine.

896905[/snapback]

You know Turf Smurf, I'm not the only one on this forum who thinks Jordan will have a good year. How isn't he a sleeper? People have him everywhere on their boards. What is your opinion on him? If you think he sucks, then you are in the minority my friend. Nothing wrong with that, but don't go steppin on other's opinion for no reason. He is a legitimate pick and I'm not alone making that statement. Lot of people think Oakland can turn it around. It's the NFL, anything can happen. And why the hell do you think I'm from the East Coast? Chi-Town's finest man, sorry. Show's how much you know. :D

Just as with Michael Bennett, Randy Moss won't be running the ball for Jordan.

Many people had Bennett as a 1st round pick last year and then he was injured.

There are too many questions with Jordan. I'll stick to the known RBs, but that's just me.