[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kevin Jones is dropping jaws

Avernus

News

Lions' second year running back Kevin Jones is drawing rave reviews from training camp observers. Having bulked up to 230 pounds in the weight room, while losing none of his sprinter speed, the adulation is pouring in. W*** Radio's Tom Kowalski is calling him a "poor man's LaDainian Tomlinson," while ESPN's John Clayton proclaims: "From the look of him on the practice field, Jones could be the league's best back this season."

Views

Heck, our own Jon Lopuch is on record as saying Jones will win the NFL rushing crown this year! Face it: if you thought you might be able to sneak away from draft day with Jones as a "sleeper," high-profile praise like this is ruining your plans. At this rate, by the time draft day rolls around we'll have Jim Brown saying Jones is already better than ever was.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanb...nball&type=lgns

:D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Harrington.  'Nuf said.

906731[/snapback]

The QB situation is the one thing that can bring the Lions down this season. I think Garcia is capable and waiting in the wings, but no one likes a mid-season QB change. If K.Jones can stay healthy, he has a chance to make a push into the top 5 RBs.

Defense is improved and explosive. If the QB situation is stable...

Lions vs. Eagles in the NFC Championship

If there's one thing the Lions have done well since I started following them is run the ball well - with the exception of a few years.

Billy Sims...Barry Sanders.....Kevin Jones :D

Of course we haven't had even one very good quarterback in that time :D (Other than one great season from Scott Mitchell in '95).

I fully believe that ONE of McGahee, Julius Jones or Kevin Jones will pull a "Barlow/Green/ATrain" and be the proverbial "too-highly-drafted 2nd year RB who completely tanks after a killer 2nd half the previous season."

I'm thinking more and more that it won't be Kevin.

I fully believe that ONE of McGahee, Julius Jones or Kevin Jones will pull a "Barlow/Green/ATrain" and be the proverbial "too-highly-drafted 2nd year RB who completely tanks after a killer 2nd half the previous season."

906778[/snapback]

durh...it'll be Julius...

906778[/snapback]

Totally agree. Thinking McGahee (iffy QB) and J. Jones (can't handle the load Parcells will give him) are the likely candidates.

Kevin Jones ripped off HUGE gains and made them look easy late in the season. He's got the stop/start juke-step and slippery moves that you love to see. Julius seemed to fight and scrape for every yard.

Obviously if Parcells brought in ATrain and drafted Barber, he isn't planning on Jones carrying the entire load. He already got hurt once, so he'll probably get plenty of support. I'd hesitate before grabbing JJ as a #1 if there are better, proven options.

Edited by budlitebrad

Obviously if Parcells brought in ATrain and drafted Barber, he isn't planning on Jones carrying the entire load. He already got hurt once, so he'll probably get plenty of support. I'd hesitate before grabbing JJ as a #1 if there are better, proven options.

906807[/snapback]

I'd hesitate on taking him as my 2nd and think his ranking should be swapped with either A Green or Jordan, honestly..

Edited by Avernus

but no one likes a mid-season QB change.

906744[/snapback]

Well... except for Carolina when they went to the Super Bowl in 2004.

And... the Patriots when they went to the Super Bowl in 2002.

Wasn't Warner an injury replacement in 2000?

:D Thuperbowl MVP, Jeff Garthia!

:D  Thuperbowl MVP, Jeff Garthia!

906896[/snapback]

Trent Green got hurt in the pre-season. Warner was the opening day starter.

Delhomme replaced Peete in Week 1, I think.

Brady replaced Bledsoe in game 2 or 3. . .

906778[/snapback]

I have thought all along that it will be Julius.

Didnt Jeff Hostetler lead the Giants to the Superbowl when Simms went down?

Who did Vince Ferragamo replace to get the LA job when they got beat by the Steelers in the 1980 Superbowl?

Didnt Doug Williams come in for the injured Theisman or Rypien?

Don Strock replaced the injured Bob Griese.

The list goes on and on....

906896[/snapback]

Carolina...pre-season change. Delhomme took almost every snap, I think.

Warner...pre-season/early change. Didn't Green get hurt in training camp?

Patriots...now I never said an injury to Harrington would be a bad thing. :D

I should've said QB controversy, rather QB change. And if there is gonna be one...the sooner the better.

That being thaid- Thuperbowl MVP, Jeff Garthia thounds pretty thweet.

From ESPN Insider.

Kevin Jones wasn't drafted in the top 10 of the first round like Joey Harrington, Charles Rogers and Mike Williams or Roy Williams, but he is the skilled player who should have the biggest year for the Lions. Fantasy fans might be jumping all over him. After rushing for only 227 yards in this first eight games while trying to shake ankle problems, Jones got hot and finished the season with 906 yards in his final eight games. At that pace, he could be an 1,800-yard running back. From the look of him on the practice field, Jones could be the league's best back this season. For one, he got bigger through a rigorous weight lifting regimen during the offseason. He's 230 pounds and looks faster than a year ago. A former 100-meter sprinter, Jones has stopped his tendency to bounce plays to the outside. He hits holes with power and authority. "Everybody wants to say Joey or one of our receivers is going to take us where we are going to go, but I say the guy is Kevin Jones," Roy Williams said. "If he runs the football, he will bring that safety down to the line of scrimmage and the receivers will get one-on-one matchups."

Despite his late start in 2004, Jones still ended up a Pro Bowl alternate. The lowest selected (No. 30) of the Lions No. 1s, Jones should be the first star to emerge. He is expected to take over Shawn Bryson's role as the third-down receiving back and will be more involved in the passing game.