[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

10 reason why I detest fantasy football

Piranha

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What he doesn't seem to comprehend is that many of us our NFL first, Fantasy second players. I agree with him in a sense on those that only see the NFL for ONLY fantasy league purposes. I have a few friends that put their fantasy football team loyalty over their favorite NFL team loyalty. This bothers me, because I couldn't even imagine it. I still watch football for the NFL part of it.... the standings, the defense, etc... but I have another world to keep track of as well, which is my fantasy football world. Some things in life there can be too much of, for me, there can never be enough NFL football, so having the more important world of the NFL and also the Fantasy aspect to juggle is not a problem for me.

He makes some valid points, but I don’t think those points are lost on real football fans and too often he shows a lack of open-mindedness concerning fantasy football.

-It’s fantasy football…Just because its fantasy football doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate the work of Butkus, Deacon Jones, Ray Lewis, or LT.

-When you draft the “Ravens Defense” you are in essence drafting Ray Lewis.

-His comment about problem children is very short-sighted. There are plenty of fantasy owners I know who simply refuse to draft players like Moss or Terrell Owens, because they simply detest them so much. You DON’T HAVE to draft either and you can still win. Of course, some fantasy owners will draft a player irrespective of his personality, but that’s a choice one is free to (or not) make.

-As far as kissing a girl? Yes, even done two at a time before. :D

And if you're wondering, no, I've never played it. Never wanted to. Never will. Thanks for asking.

This is probably the most important part of that diatribe. He is writing about something he knows very little about. I found most of it completely ignorant. Seems likeit was written for no other reason than to poke the hornets nest and see what happens.

"8. The expert phenomena...But why do we need the game within the game, when the diversion overwhelms the importance of our original diversion?"

Anyone else think that you've learned more about football because of being in fantasy football? I remember are first draft and cringe at our ignorance. I understand and enjoy the game so much more now then I ever had. Is having knowledge of the sport so bad? Knowing that Moss has a good chance to take off because he's facing single-man coverage, or seeing that the defense is going to blitz in before the ball is even snapped. Is it bad to know and understand the various formations run? I agree that some people get enlarged egos due to this, but regardless the diversion of the diversion assists football fans in learning and expanding their knowledge and love for the game. It's seems almost as if he wishes the fans to stay ignorant.

What's the best way for a sub-par writer to get noticed? Throw insults at a large group. No one would be posting the article if Mr. Banks had penned an article on the "10 things that are really neat about fantasy football" Any publicity is good publicity.

Anyone else think that you've learned more about football because of being in fantasy football? 

947462[/snapback]

Def hit the nail right on the head there. Before I started playing fantasy several years ago I'd pay attention to a couple teams that I liked (and their main rivals). Since fantasy... my knowledge of all the aspects of the game has increased 10 fold. Plus it's so darn fun!

Sounds like a guy suffering from penile envy to me.

What's the best way for a sub-par writer to get noticed?  Throw insults at a large group.  No one would be posting the article if Mr. Banks had penned an article on the "10 things that are really neat about fantasy football"  Any publicity is good publicity.

947476[/snapback]

I guess its working. I've had 2 non-FF people email me the link.

It will probably go down as his most read article ever. :D