[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

10 reason why I detest fantasy football

Piranha

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You people are Morons, you took everything I said out of context.  This is the same thing that happened to Randy Moss.

Go watch your Star Trek you geeks!

948025[/snapback]

I am going to assume that this is not genuine, but just in case it is........

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Edited by rattsass

There are several media types who hate fantasy football and they sound very much like this guy. And I can tell you why:

"It makes them look stupid in their own profession"

It is funny once you really get into something deeply, you start to catch all the incorrect things that radio and TV announcers say. I am not sure why it surprised me much, but the last time I was in a studio of a radio station there was the sports section of the newspaper all over the table.

So - they hate it, sure. Why wouldn't they? They do not and often could not know as much as the people they are supposedly "preaching" to and they actually get called out on it sometimes.

947660[/snapback]

I think you're onto something there; but not to defend Banks but to play Devil's Advocate a bit, don't we all know a couple of the worst fantasy footballers - "fantasy genius" who sits there and tells those NOT AT ALL INTERESTED in how his team is doing exactly how his team has been doing? When I'm listening to local sports talk, the last thing I want to hear is some nimrod calling in with a WDIS question for the host (who probably doesn't know or care)

Or "fantasy fanatic" - the probably small % that Banks derides as being more into his ff team than any real team, which is pathetic, IMO. FF is the gravy on top of the cake in my NFL season - gives me a reason to watch and root when the Packers game isn't on, or if god forbid GB is having a down year.

I see it FF as a blessing for the NFL.

948245[/snapback]

And it absolutely is - without ff, how many people pay for the Sunday Ticket? I'd bet a LARGE chunk would opt out of it.

I know virtually nothing about any other sport - I could not even name all the MBL or NBA teams probably. I spend literally 365 on the NFL and even more refined - on the offense.

947660[/snapback]

I would think so. :D

You people are Morons, you took everything I said out of context.  This is the same thing that happened to Randy Moss.

Go watch your Star Trek you geeks!

948025[/snapback]

Okay, but now that the author of that article told me that Star Trek's not real, it just won't be the same. :D

My wife would agree with this guy 100%, but I do not put it above my NFL team - even tho the 9ers SUCK right now. I actually think he has some good points, so thank God I live in the 'real world' when it comes to college ball - my Trojans are fun to watch. Now if they sucked too, I might try college FF also; but I really don't have the time...

And although I am watching for how my players did vs. my opponent's players, I still want to see which teams won - the concept of team play is not lost on me.

I also think he misses the point when talking about Manning v. Brady in winning the big one. Since he doesn't play, he doesn't know that the FF season stops before the NFL playoffs (for most of us). Because at the playoffs I stop watching individual players and start watching the whole teams again; and it actually MATTERS then that Brady is a better 'clutch guy' than Manning...

I also think he misses the point when talking about Manning v. Brady in winning the big one.  Since he doesn't play, he doesn't know that the FF season stops before the NFL playoffs (for most of us).  Because at the playoffs I stop watching individual players and start watching the whole teams again..

948771[/snapback]

:D I take it you haven't participated in Smackbowl....

I guess one thing his article made me think about is the fact that since I started playing FF (about 12 years now), I haven't given a rat about college football. Still follow the 'Horns, that's about it. I used to watch the stuff anytime it was on.

Also, TRUE THAT about the Sunday Ticket. PLUS what's a Cowboys fan to do these days, they perenially suck. If I didn't have FFB to fall back on, I might not even have an interest in the NFL. Then I'd have to spend all day Sunday with the wife and kids! DOH!

I tend to agree and sympathize with some of what Don Banks said, I think he's getting carried away.

In my league, I don't know anybody who roots for their fantasy players over their favorite real teams, and I have played with these guys now for 10 years.

I keep a strict limit on the number of leagues I am in--2 leagues. I don't want the fantasy game to overwhelm my time or enthusiasm for other things.

I don't pay much attention to the NFL offseason. I watch what the Raiders do, because they are my team. I pay a certain amount of attention to the NFL draft, because I like to see the new talent coming in to the game. But until the beginning of July, if you had asked me where Jerry Rice was, I probably would have answered "at home?". I don't worry about what other teams do, the Raiders have no control over it, and it is probably more profitable to read about it in July and August as it is to worry about it in April.

As for gambling--say it ain't so!! Is the news that gambling and sports go together like bacon and eggs really news?? Here's a thought for you Tony--people don't love football because they can gamble on it, they gamble on football because they love the game. I think that this applies to the vast majority of football and fantasy football bettors.

I won't start worrying about fantasy football's influence on the larger game until I find out that the reason Peyton Manning threw all those goaline TDs last year was that Tony Dungy had him on his fantasy team, and that Bill Bellicheck had Edgerrin James on his team in the same league.