[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

10 reason why I detest fantasy football

Piranha

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess its working.  I've had 2 non-FF people email me the link.

It will probably go down as his most read article ever. :D

947524[/snapback]

I guess his editor tired of him writing about Tom Brady….

i was already a genus and eggspert about football before i got into fantasy.  now i'm like zeus...or odin. :D

947622[/snapback]

:D

I thought your fantasy team came in second to last, not second...  :D

947629[/snapback]

Burn. :D

There are several media types who hate fantasy football and they sound very much like this guy. And I can tell you why:

"It makes them look stupid in their own profession"

Understand that these sports writers/commentator types have to know an incredibly broad array of sports - NFL, MLB, NHL, PGA, etc.. They have to be able to intelligently discuss all sports and sports personalities/celebrities. Their jobs are far more involved with the big picture items and the "entertainment" value of them.

You can tell, for instance, when a radio host hates fantasy football because they do not understand the NFL to the level that even an average FF person does. They cannot spend that much time on it. I know virtually nothing about any other sport - I could not even name all the MBL or NBA teams probably. I spend literally 365 on the NFL and even more refined - on the offense.

It is funny once you really get into something deeply, you start to catch all the incorrect things that radio and TV announcers say. I am not sure why it surprised me much, but the last time I was in a studio of a radio station there was the sports section of the newspaper all over the table.

So - they hate it, sure. Why wouldn't they? They do not and often could not know as much as the people they are supposedly "preaching" to and they actually get called out on it sometimes.

I thought your fantasy team came in second to last, not second...  :D

947629[/snapback]

Hey I made the playoffs :D

And then I barely got beat by some team, I don't even

remember who it was now :D

There are several media types who hate fantasy football and they sound very much like this guy. And I can tell you why:

Understand that these sports writers/commentator types have to know an incredibly broad array of sports - NFL, MLB, NHL, PGA, etc.. They have to be able to intelligently discuss all sports and sports personalities/celebrities. Their jobs are far more involved with the big picture items and the "entertainment" value of them.

You can tell, for instance, when a radio host hates fantasy football because they do not understand the NFL to the level that even an average FF person does. They cannot spend that much time on it. I know virtually nothing about any other sport - I could not even name all the MBL or NBA teams probably. I spend literally 365 on the NFL and even more refined - on the offense.

It is funny once you really get into something deeply, you start to catch all the incorrect things that radio and TV announcers say. I am not sure why it surprised me much, but the last time I was in a studio of a radio station there was the sports section of the newspaper all over the table.

So - they hate it, sure. Why wouldn't they? They do not and often could not know as much as the people they are supposedly "preaching" to and they actually get called out on it sometimes.

947660[/snapback]

Well said!

It is very apparent that many sports journalists carry biases towards specific teams and even players. Similarly, it is difficult for serious homers of a particular team to justify rooting for players on other teams (vis a vis fantasy sports).

I have several friends who are supposedly big football fans, but are not interested in playing fantasy football because it would mean being knowledgeable and pulling for players on (gasp) other teams...

Hey I made the playoffs  :D

And then I barely got beat by some team, I don't even

remember who it was now  :D

947679[/snapback]

I beat you with such frequency last year that Swerski nearly called child protective services.

Just a nobody writer who's taken the contrarian point of view to, as someone else said, poke the nest and stir up a large number of people. Did anyone know Don Banks before this? No. Do people know his name now, if only for the next five to seven minutes? Yes. Actually, you gotta give the guy credit for that. That said, he presents nothing new, uses all the same tired, unimaginative, recycled slams -- FF players are Trekkies, makes you watch the game differently and root for players not teams, bla bla bla.

And about kissing girls, Don, with his "1984, part-down-the-middle Gil Gerard/Buck Rogers" look ain't likely to be getting a ton of hindquarter.

Nice try, Don. Nice try. :D

947660[/snapback]

Very well said.

We have radio hosts in Philly (Howard Eskin comes to mind) who barely follow sports. God forbid you ask him a question about an Eagle non-starter or even another team. He calls Fantsy players losers yet gives his picks for Sunday's games with the help of a handicapper. Both are gambling. I don't understand the line he draws. Knowing the teams and players makes it easier to bet games.

Agreed, DMD.

But.....suppose you are the NFL analyst on a new format show on the NFL Network, No Huddle (Mike Mayock). And it's pretty fast paced.....I'll give you that. It's Saturday and there are about 10 games you are following and also commenting on the three that were played yesterday....and three more to come on Sunday and Monday.

The Pittsburgh game is delayed by torrential rain and you must have had Pitt players on the brain...LOL.

You STILL have to feel a bit stupid when you review the tape of your performance later in the studio and hear these gaffs come out of your mouth:

"Oakland's wide receiver Joey Porter should benefit from the Randy Moss acquisition." (Someone better tell Joey he's been traded....and is now a WR. :D )

OK....same last name.....I can forgive him that one.

Two sentences later, commenting on the upcoming Seattle Monday night game:

"Keep your eye on Jerome Stevens, I think he could become a nice target for Hasselbeck." I'm sure Jerramy is now looking at the roster trying to figure out who Jerome is and if he's after his job. :D

There were several others but those two came to mind.

I know, I know...new show and they are still working out the kinks. I shouldn't be so hard on him. Pressure of being on camera and all. :D But he doesn't do Nascar or golf or tennis. He does the NFL, period. If you're doing your homework, those names should just roll off your tongue without thinking. They ARE starters for gosh sakes....not 3rd or 4th stringers that may be cut next week. :D

Back to the Don Banks rant.....lol......just thought I'd throw that in. It made me chuckle over the weekend.

Edited by SteelBunz

There are several media types who hate fantasy football and they sound very much like this guy.

947660[/snapback]

I've noticed this trend in my local media, the football "purist".

Everybody has got to look down on somebody. These sports writers and radio talk show types are around the athletes all the time, and when they start asking questions and spouting stats, the athletes tend to look at them as geeks who "never played the game".

Fantasy footballers can spout more stats than your average sports writer. So the media football purist look at us as geeks and feel superior. Instead of never really playing the game, we've never really covered the game. We aren't really watching football. We are watching fantasy football. It's make-believe, as if the life of a sports writer is toiling away in the "real" world. The real/fantasy football distinction is one of the silliest ones I've ever seen made. Really, who are the real football viewers trying to impress?

As several have mentioned, this always seems to come from the person who has categorically refused to play fantasy football. That means the person doesn't even know what he is talking about.

Well, I guess there are different levels and types of FF players. Not all are the Eric Karabel type GEEKS. :D I can't stand those types either. They don't enjoy the GAME, only crunching the stats. That does suck, but it's just a stereotype. Surely you're not all momo fektards. :D

Oh yeah, BTW...his article did suck, and he's a Megan Fox bag regardless.

Edited by Hitman

Sometimes i hate myself for wishing some player on a team i hate scores but the Bears still win (which is hard as it is). 

I do find myself avoiding all things Green Bay in all my drafts though... i ended up with Ahman Green last year and felt dirty all season.  :D

948002[/snapback]

Anyone find it ironic that someone with the name "Cunning Linguist" felt dirty?