[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Palmer's Injury more severe?

Luger

Carson Palmer's knee injury was "devastating and potentially career-ending," involving numerous ligament tears, a shredded ligament, damaged cartilage and a dislocated kneecap, his surgeon said Thursday.

but Dr. Lonnie Paulos said surgery went well and Palmer could be back for the start of the season.

So which is it?

I guess if he was an RB or WR he would be done. Now he's just Drew Bledsoe?

If you read the whole article this guy is all over the map. It's career threatening yet he could be ready for opening week. Career threatening yet it all went well and he should be back. My take is yes he was hurt badly but things went well and we'll see him in 8 months week 1. Keep in mind this is a pocket passing QB who doesn't rely on his legs at all. I have my money on back for week 1 or at the very least back in Oct which would be 9 monhs so maybe misses 2 or 3 games tops.

Edited by giantsfan

If you read the whole article this guy is all over the map. It's career threatening yet he could be ready for opening week. Career threatening yet it all went well and he should be back. My take is yes he was hurt badly but things went well and we'll see him in 8 months week 1. Keep in mind this is a pocket passing QB who doesn't rely on his legs at all. I have my money on back for week 1 or at the very least back in Oct which would be 9 monhs so maybe misses 2 or 3 games tops.

1262913[/snapback]

On the money...as long as his arm is still attached and he can stand up...no worries.

Sounds to me like this Doc is blowing his own horn here. Seems to me to be a typically blown out knee that needed repair and will need intensive rehab as all major knee blow outs do. Can you say Grandstanding?

edit: Hope for Palmer's sake it wasn't this guys first knee reconstruction.

Edited by devilwoman

You're right, the guy was all over the board.

Another kick in the gut to Bengals fans who were just hopping on the Internet tonight, and get hit w/ this news.

:D

The difficult part is I bet you won't even know for sure 'til mid-summer at best, if even then.

It's gonna be a long off-season.

Edited by Bengal Mania

Sounds to me like this Doc is blowing his own horn here.  Seems to me to be a typically blown out knee that needed repair and will need intensive rehab as all major knee blow outs do.  Can you say Grandstanding?

edit:  Hope for Palmer's sake it wasn't this guys first knee reconstruction.

1262939[/snapback]

If the Bengal's organization sent their franchise player to some guy who'd never done reconstructive knee surgery before, someone needs to be dragged out and shot. Most unlikely, methinks.

He'll be back.  I'm sure his youth is in his favor.  He'll be back at training camp.

1262977[/snapback]

I sure hope so. Like some other Huddlers have already said, it would be a shame if his career ended. I think Palmer has the tools to be a great QB. I hope he gets his chance.

He just signed a huge contract. That money is not guaranteed is it? :D:D

Looks like a typical consultant answer to me. Could be really, really bad, could work out OK, depends on what happens.

:D DOCTORS AIN'T CONSULTANTS!!!!!!!

of course predictions and speculation could probably get them in some sort of legal trouble if they promised something that doesn't come true

That being said, and without any prior medical experience, I would say that Palmer does play in the NFL again.

I believe that he'll be able to come back from this. If Robert Edwards was able to come back from near amputation to even attempt a comeback at RB, then Palmer should be OK as a non-running QB.

Sounds to me like this Doc is blowing his own horn here.  Seems to me to be a typically blown out knee that needed repair and will need intensive rehab as all major knee blow outs do.  Can you say Grandstanding?

1262939[/snapback]

Yeah, I agree with this completely. The guy was there second choice. The #1 doctor who does these is James Andrews, who had a heart attack that weekend. So this guy was their second choice.

Then he comes out and says, "oh, it was shredded. Horrible. He may never play again. But I patched him up, things went great, and he'll be ready by training camp."

I think he's tooting his own horn as well. And if things don't go well with Palmer's recovery, he covered himself by publicly stating how bad the knee was immediately after the surgery.

Yeah, I agree with this completely.  The guy was there second choice.  The #1 doctor who does these is James Andrews, who had a heart attack that weekend.  So this guy was their second choice. 

Then he comes out and says, "oh, it was shredded.  Horrible.  He may never play again.  But I patched him up, things went great, and he'll be ready by training camp."

I think he's tooting his own horn as well.  And if things don't go well with Palmer's recovery, he covered himself by publicly stating how bad the knee was immediately after the surgery.

1263203[/snapback]

Good Call!! :D:D

Yeah, I agree with this completely.  The guy was there second choice.  The #1 doctor who does these is James Andrews, who had a heart attack that weekend.  So this guy was their second choice. 

Then he comes out and says, "oh, it was shredded.  Horrible.  He may never play again.  But I patched him up, things went great, and he'll be ready by training camp."

I think he's tooting his own horn as well.  And if things don't go well with Palmer's recovery, he covered himself by publicly stating how bad the knee was immediately after the surgery.

1263203[/snapback]

Seems like a pretty sound assessment to me.

If a RB like Willis McGahee can return after what happened to his knee, I'd have to think that the chances of a pocket-passing QB like Palmer coming back are pretty good.

Good call, CH.

The Bengals apparently immediately demanded a partial retraction from the doctor:

Bengals public relations released this statement late Thursday night from Dr. Lonnie Paulos, who operated on Carson Palmer’s left knee Tuesday in Houston.

“I believe and regret that media reports based on interviews with me have misinterpreted my view of Carson Palmer’s knee injury.

“Though the injury was serious, the essential fact remains that his ACL and MCL have been repaired.

“I would consider this a typical ACL-MCL football injury. Comments attributed to me that the knee injury was `devastating and potentially career ending’ were mean to describe such injuries in general. I was accurately quoted by the Associated Press that my bottom line is optimism regarding Carson’s prognosis. With a successful rehabilitation program, he has an excellent chance of being medically cleared for play at the start of the 2006 regular season.”

Credibility shredded