[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Polamalu Interception

Menudo

Now that some time has passed, can someone explain to me the call. I know that pretty much everyone, or maybe everyone agrees that the call was complete garbage. I lost it right when he started talking, and am still not sure what the explanation was.

Was it a bad call, is it a bad rule ? I still can't believe they overturned that. I told my wife there was no way in hell they could overturn that. Does anyone have anything resembling and explanation ? I truly meant what I said that the Steelers still should have stopped them, but, I still can't believe that call.

On another note, Troy Polamalu is my favorite defensive player since Greg Lloyd. The guy plays like a madman out there, and when he comes to tackle, he comes angry. :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that some time has passed, can someone explain to me the call.  I know that pretty much everyone, or maybe everyone agrees that the call was complete garbage.  I lost it right when he started talking, and am still not sure what the explanation was.

Was it a bad call, is it a bad rule ?    I still can't believe they overturned that.  I told my wife there was no way in hell they could overturn that.  Does anyone have anything resembling and explanation ?  I truly meant what I said that the Steelers still should have stopped them, but, I still can't believe that call.

On another note, Troy Polamalu is my favorite defensive player since Greg Lloyd.  The guy plays like a madman out there, and when he comes to tackle, he comes angry.  :D

1267962[/snapback]

Nothing to do with any bad rule. Plain and simple, it was a Horrible call. The refs (the replay official) should be held accountable, and should be fined or mamed.

If the colts had won I would have let you whine about that one. I thought it was a complete garbage call. Steelers win the game easily if that's not overturned. I would have taken the win, but would not be so blind to think we actually beat the steelers.

Now that some time has passed, can someone explain to me the call.  I know that pretty much everyone, or maybe everyone agrees that the call was complete garbage.  I lost it right when he started talking, and am still not sure what the explanation was.

Was it a bad call, is it a bad rule ?    I still can't believe they overturned that.  I told my wife there was no way in hell they could overturn that.  Does anyone have anything resembling and explanation ?  I truly meant what I said that the Steelers still should have stopped them, but, I still can't believe that call.

On another note, Troy Polamalu is my favorite defensive player since Greg Lloyd.  The guy plays like a madman out there, and when he comes to tackle, he comes angry.  :D

1267962[/snapback]

I'm not trying to defend the call, because i thought it stunk, but i believe it was that stupid explanation of "after making the catch/int you must make a football move while keeping possesion" If he would have just stayed down it would have been an INT and game over!

I'm not trying to defend the call, because i thought it stunk, but i believe it was that stupid explanation of "after making the catch/int you must make a football move while keeping possesion" If he would have just stayed down it would have been an INT and game over!

1267975[/snapback]

Agreed.

1267975[/snapback]

That's what I thought the call was, but I don't understand it. If by staying down he had the interception, how could additional action after that negate the interception? How could it not be a fumble? Just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

It stunk- bottom line is as much as it sucks, referees are human, and can be swayed. I just cannot see any other explanation other than there was some incentive for Indy to win, expected to win, or something. Like I posted before, it seemed like some of those NBA games you see where the refs are blatantly biased for a) home team or :D the team expected to win gest the calls. I dunno, I am no conspiracy theorist, but that was honestly shocking to me- and made me question the integrity of the NFL refs. Somoene said something about Archie Manning being a "celebrity replay official" but I don't think that was true. :D

Simply laying down would constitute a 'football move?' That's what's :D . If he'd have just laid there, it would have been Steeler ball, no question. He caught the ball, gained control of it, caused his own fumble and recovered it. I just cannot believe they overturned it.

There were lots of calls that were pretty :doah: this weekend.

That's what I thought the call was, but I don't understand it.  If by staying down he had the interception, how could additional action after that negate the interception?  How could it not be a fumble?  Just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

1267988[/snapback]

I don't know but it's the stupidest rule i've ever seen especially when it happens near the sideline and he still has to make a move after he's out of bounds. :D

I think it's pretty safe to assume that that particular crew has officiated their last NFL playoff game this season. Their Super Bowl run has ended as well. They missed call after call. What the hell was that "no call" on the false start? :D

The refs should have just come out and said, "Although it was clearly an interception, the NFL front office told us before the game that they would like to see Manning and the Colts advance to the next round."

I love Manning, but that was one of the worst calls I have ever seen in my life. I can't beleive Cowher didn't go apeAthena on the sideline.

The refs should have just come out and said, "Although it was clearly an interception, the NFL front office told us before the game that they would like to see Manning and the Colts advance to the next round."

I love Manning, but that was one of the worst calls I have ever seen in my life.  I can't beleive Cowher didn't go MORE apeAthena on the sideline.

1268137[/snapback]

Very true.

Horrible call

It stunk- bottom line is as much as it sucks, referees are human, and can be swayed. I just cannot see any other explanation other than there was some incentive for Indy to win, expected to win, or something. Like I posted before, it seemed like some of those NBA games you see where the refs are blatantly biased for a) home team or :D the team expected to win gest the calls. I dunno, I am no conspiracy theorist, but that was honestly shocking to me- and made me question the integrity of the NFL refs.  Somoene said something about Archie Manning being a "celebrity replay official" but I don't think that was true.  :D

1267992[/snapback]

The thing that I really like about the NFL is that I never get the feeling that the fix is in. I am not a paranoid nut job but for the first time I am really thinking that something :D was going on there. I also don't know how the Randle El interference call was not made. That was a clear as it can get, IMO.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that that particular crew has officiated their last NFL playoff game this season.  Their Super Bowl run has ended as well.  They missed call after call.  What the hell was that "no call" on the false start? :D

1268104[/snapback]

Right on. No way can this group move on to do another game. The no call was one of the most bizarre things that I have ever seen. I don't know how Cowher's head did not explode at that point. :D

I love Manning, but that was one of the worst calls I have ever seen in my life.  I can't beleive Cowher didn't go apeAthena on the sideline.

1268137[/snapback]

See I'm not paranoid. There are people like Ralph Furley that can see what I see. :D

I think the NFL needs to make a statement about that call and either admit that it was blown, or clarify the "rule" that was being referenced.

Rule 85.1.1 Interceptions:

If a player intercepts a ball, demonstrates control, the ball does not touch the ground, and the player makes an attempt to get up off the ground, both knees must be off the ground before the ball can be legally fumbled.

The ref said that after catching the ball and falling down, he fumbled the ball while he was getting back up and his knee had not come off the ground when it came loose.

1267980[/snapback]

That is the BS I heard too.... but looking at it, it still looked like his knee was off the ground when he hit it with his other knee!! Oh well, water under the bridge... hopefully those refs won't be in Denver.

As I said before, the problem is not the officials so much as the rules. Instead of clarifying yet another rule and layering another band aid over the mess, strip out all the crap about football moves, tucks and all the rest of it and simplify the game. The refs are adrift in a sea of inconsistency because the rules aren't consistent.

Let's get rid of this infinite goal line BS for a start.

The main problem here is that a "football move" is not really clearly defined (at least to my knowlege).

I said the call would be overturned because of the knee hitting the ball. In my mind at least, he hadn't made a "football move". In my opinion he did not and falling to the ground is not a "football move". He needs to 1) give himself up, which he did not, by evidence of him getting up, 2) be touched on the ground by an opposing player, which again, did not happen, or 3) get up and run and be tackled. But before he could get up and run, his knee knocked the ball out. My interpretation is that he did not make a football move, but the main problem here is it should not be open to my or anyone else's interpretation of what a "football move" is.

I would be curious if any of you who like to quote the rulebook can find something that does clearly define it (i'm too lazy to actually search for it).

But then again, a guy at the bar I was at for the game today made the point that if he did just stay down, it would have been an interception, and to be honest, I didnt have an argument for that.

Oh well, water under the bridge.

Right team won today pure and simple. I was rooting for the Colts most of the game (to keep Edge alive in my fantasy playoff league), but I was glad Pitt won in the end since I didnt want to see Bettis go out like that (if this is indeed his final season).

GO NINERS!! SUPER BOWL 43, HERE WE COME!!