[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Front loading washing machines/dryers

CaptainHook

Do not and I repeat DO NOT buy a Neptune!!!!! We got one when we built our house 7 years ago. The washer lasted 3 years and the dryer 4 years. Not what you want to happen when you spend $1,500 on a washer and that was back then. The repairman said that they see it all the time with the Maytags. We replaced them with the Kenmore version of the Whirlpool Duet. They are great. I actually like the Kenmore better than the Whirlpool version because of the controls. Push buttons on the Kenmore, Dial on the Whirlpool.

I have a fisher-paykel top load set. It is still a water conserving washer, and has an agitator in the middle.

A friend of mine's father repairs appliances. He does like the Duet (and I used to have one), but he says they are more prone to break down than a top load, and that they are more expensive to repair. He recommended a top load unless the person doing the laundry had an ailment that really would be helped with a front load.

the FP dryer is a top load dryer (unusual) with a sideways drum that has vents on both sides. This makes for better airflow. I like both machines a lot.

Got ours from Sears... they are nice and work very well, but I actually prefer the top-loaders for washing machines. When you pull clothes out of a front-loader, they are tangled into a long rope of wet clothes and also it seems like no matter how careful I try to be, some of my clean clothes end up on the floor in front of the front-loader on their way to the dryer.

If I could go back in time, I would definitely NOT buy a front-loading washer (even though it works very well).

Went with the front loading Fridgidaire W/D a couple years ago. Not a single problem yet! Cost us like $1350.00 for the set including tax and free delivery from Best Buy. Why people spend over 2 grand on a washer and dryer is beyond me. Even has a stainless wash basin!!!

If you are at all handy, make your own pedestals instead of paying $150 apiece from the store! They are such a ripoff!!! They just sit there, and for the life of me I can't figure out why they mark them up so much!

I would wait for a sale and make sure you push for free delivery once you get the final price. Just act like you assumed it was part of the price they gave you. :-)

Good luck whichever way you go...

S.T.

EDIT - These are the models that replaced ours:

Fridgidaire Washer

Fridgidaire Dryer

Edited by Super Twinky

We've had our front-loader for 7 years now...and I wouldn't go back to a top loader. Bought the set from Sears. Holds a ton and the clothes come out very clean. Once in a while we do get the twisted rope Savage mentioned, but not too often.

Whirlpool Duet.

Works real good.

Same in our house. Actually, we only had the washer until about a week ago when the dryer went on the frizt and I bought the dryer to go with the washer. Wife rants and raves about them.

Do not and I repeat DO NOT buy a Neptune!!!!! We got one when we built our house 7 years ago. The washer lasted 3 years and the dryer 4 years. Not what you want to happen when you spend $1,500 on a washer and that was back then. The repairman said that they see it all the time with the Maytags. We replaced them with the Kenmore version of the Whirlpool Duet. They are great. I actually like the Kenmore better than the Whirlpool version because of the controls. Push buttons on the Kenmore, Dial on the Whirlpool.

I had problem with the Neptune I bought, too... like, within days. Returned it for a whirlpool that has worked great for a year and counting.

Now, if I could just get my sump-a-saurous to quit leaking...

• 1 year later...
Anybody have one? Which brand? You like it?

Looking to get a new set.

Did you ever end up buying a front loader? I ask because lately there is nothing that I hate more in life than transferring clothes from our front-loader washing machine to our dryer. I can feel my chest getting tight and my heart starting to race just thinking about it. Our machine does the spin and counter-spin thing at the end of the cycle to supposedly de-tangle everything, but it NEVER works. There is no avoiding the rope. :D

I thought of this again today because I've heard that Congress is thinking about outlawing top-loading washing machines soon as a next step in their well-intentioned crusade to save the planet. I would love to go back to a top-loader. :wacko:

Maybe I'll start a local black-market for top-loading washers and incandescent light bulbs! :D

we have a LG set & love them.

We have an LG front-loading washing machine but opted for a "regular" dryer. Couldn't make sense of spending $800-1000 on a dryer that does basically the same thing as a $300-400 one.

We got our LG from a "scratch and dent" place that also gets deals on new units. Our LG was brand new, got it for hundreds less than what it was at Best Buy, Home Depot, etc.

Love it... very quiet (although it's in the garage and wouldn't matter if it was noisy-ish), cleans the heck out of clothes, and of course the requisite "uses less water" thing is good. Oh, and it has a "sanitize" cycle which utilizes the unit's built-in water heater. It gets the water super hot. Good for those with allergies and/or pets.

I have a Kenmore Elite HE and it sucks. I wish I could have my old, cheap top loading washer back. It washed clothes better than this overpriced hunk of junk that barely uses any water. Plus, the dryer settings are set way too short. The clothes come out damp, so the settings are worthless. We just used "timed dry" now to get them clean.

They look purty, but are all show and no go.

We bought Neptunes and sold the washer and dryer to a friend after the units were only 2-3 years old when we moved and the motor died on him-felt really bad. He's handy and reinstalled a new motor on his own but still it was a couple of hundred bucks. We tried to pay for it, take him out to dinner, something but he wouldn't take our money.

We moved into a house with older Neptunes and except for a $2.75 knob that broke all s been well. I'd say the units are about 8 years old, at least-before they were digital.

I have heard Neptunes are terrible and will buy another brand when these die. I do like front loads for washing big items like comforters and blankets, plus we hate doing laundry, so we always have a sh*t load to wash even with just two of us.

Surprised I'm reading good reviews: I've never met someone who liked their combo drier, in part because it takes forever to dry clothes and runs up power bills considerably.

That's what I've heard from about 3 or 4 people, one (coincidentally) just last night.

No idea on which brands though.

Our machine does the spin and counter-spin thing at the end of the cycle to supposedly de-tangle everything, but it NEVER works. There is no avoiding the rope. :D

Does anyone else have this problem? We don't. I still very much love our front loaders.