[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioners, your input please

Grits and Shins

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well, THIS explains it

no wonder my team has always sucked in F-OFF--you guys have been screwing me over for the last few years

Actually we have just been following your lead. At the draft you screw yourself ... we just hop on the train you started

Edited by Grits and Shins

So will he not be a friend once he's 0-2?...

The fact the he is a personal friend and not a Huddler acquiantence (sp?) is largely irrelevant to the issue at hand. He may throw a fit (or may not) but I don't believe it will change his status as a "friend". Our interaction was 100% in the workplace anyway and now that he has gone to another work place I don't imagine I will see much of him and mostly we will correspond infrequently through email (although we have had lunch a couple of times)

G & S,

I didn't bother to read all your responses, therefore this might just be rehashing old sh%&t, but if someone didn't bring it up in prior years then bye gones be bye gones. For the current year, you have to update the system or go the democratic process and let all other teams (not teams involved) vote on the resolution.

Be strong :D and good luck, any sh$%&t and :D and let them find someone else to take the thankless job (I've been the Commish for 4 straight years noone else will take the job).

Grits,

First of all, tough break, but it sounds like you are taking ownership of the "mistake." Second of all, changing prior years even if it made a difference would change little. Like the guy mentioned earlier about the golf game...the game is over, the scores settled. I also think there is something to the individual owners having some responsibility for checking behind the system.

Here is what I would do FWIW....

I'd change both weeks scores. You don't want this hanging over the results all year. I would also make an immediate addendum to the rules that state that mistakes can be corrected up until the time the next games start...this will prevent this from being an issue in the future and make each owner responsible for checking behind the scores...

Finally, all of us as commishes make mistakes...if we try and handle them fairly and quickly, it is usually not that big a deal. This is a very interesting problem in that it has gone on for so long. I hope this helps and as always...

Good luck

Hardrocker

Edited by Hardrocker

A prepared commish might have something like this in his constitution... :D

THE COMMISSIONER HAS THE ABILITY TO MODIFY SCORING. IN THE EVENT A SCORING ERROR IS DISCOVERED WE WILL MAKE THE APPROPRIATE CORRECTIONS. HOWEVER, ONCE THE NEXT WEEKS ROSTERS ARE DUE THE SCORES ARE CONSIDERED FINAL AND NO CHANGES WILL BE MADE. ROSTERS WILL BE CONSIDERED DUE WHEN THE WEEK'S EARLIEST STARTER IS DUE FOR ANY TEAM.

CBS SPORTLINE WILL HAVE FINAL AUTHORITY ON ALL STATS. ALL OTHER SOURCES FOR STATS MAY BE PRESENTED AS EVIDENCE ONLY. THE NFFL COMMISIONER WILL HAVE FINAL AUTHORITY ON ALL DISPUTES. THE PROCESS WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING.

1. THE ERROR CAN BE REPORTED BY ANY PARTY TO THE COMMISSIONER.

2. THE COMMISSIONER WILL INFORM THE TEAMS INVOLVED OF THE POSSIBLE ERROR.

3. RESOURCE EVIDENCE WILL BE COLLECTED AND SUBMITTED, TO AND BY THE COMMISSIONER.

4. CON-CURRENTLY CBS SPORTSLINE MAY BE CONTACTED WITH A REQUEST FOR HELP AND/OR CLARIFICATION OF THE STATS IN QUESTION.

5. IF THE ERROR INVOLVES INTERPRETATION OF OUR LEAGUE RULES THE COMMISSIONER WILL ISSUE A DECISION. IF IT IS A STATISTICAL CBS SPORTSLINE ERROR AND CAN BE CORRECTED BEFORE THE DEADLINE IT WILL BE.

I have to go with this one as well. An owner has the responsibility to make sure that his team has been scored correctly. If I was in a close game and I saw that my DEF had shut out their opponent, you better believe that I would make sure I recieved those points.

An owner should check his/her scores each and every week. If there is a problem with the scoring, as provided by the rules, he should bring up the problem to the commish to review and change correctly if need be. After that week has passed, too late so sorry. You cannot go back one, two or more weeks and adjust errors and change outcomes.

I agree 100%. Each owner HAS to make sure their points are correct. No one else is going to do it for you. And if you are too late then it's your own damn fault. There ain't no cryin' in Fantasy Football!

COMMISSIONER RULING

Our rules specify that defensive shut outs are worth 7 points

Defensive/Special Teams Scoring

TD's 6pts

<200yds 3pts

sacks 1pt

safety 2pts

turnovers 2pts

shutout 7pts

This is cut and dried, defensive shut out are worth 7 points per our rules.

The fact that MFL scoring has not been set up to award this 7 points for defensive shutouts the last 3+ years does not make the existing rule invalid. 7 points for a shut has been on the books since at least 2002 ( http://football.myfantasyleague.com/2002/o...ns?L=00165&O=09 ).

Tommyknockers noted the error in our scoring this week as if he gets the points per our rules his changes the outcome of his game this week. The decision to correct the scoring for this week is an easy one.

ABearWith noticed that in week 1 had his defense been credited with 7 points for their shutout he would have won as well. This is where it gets tricky. I believe with the kick off of the first NFL game in a week all previous fantasy games and scores should be final. However, there is nothing in the rules dictating that scores are finalized at any time.

I believe it is early enough in the season to correct the scoring in MFL and in the previous week so that it agrees with our long published rules.

I did post this question on the main message board ( http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=170215 and http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=170253 ) and there is pretty overwhelming support for this ruling. In addition since my team is one of the ones moving from the win column to the loss column I hardly believe that Bangers can accuse me of bias.

Having made that ruling ... I believe an immediate amendment to the rules is required stating that fantasy scores and results are finalized with the KO of the next NFL game.

The big question is how this went for years unnoticed. I'd make a decision and put it to a league vote (commish gets the deciding vote in case there's a tie). If the rules state you get 7 for a shut out, then you prolly have to do it manually every week it happens. Also, put in the rules that any scoring rule that doesn't get identified as an error before week two will stand for the year.

I have to go with this one as well. An owner has the responsibility to make sure that his team has been scored correctly. If I was in a close game and I saw that my DEF had shut out their opponent, you better believe that I would make sure I recieved those points.

An owner should check his/her scores each and every week. If there is a problem with the scoring, as provided by the rules, he should bring up the problem to the commish to review and change correctly if need be. After that week has passed, too late so sorry. You cannot go back one, two or more weeks and adjust errors and change outcomes.

I agree with this totally, you have to check your players scores every week. If you notice something a week later, only because someone else brought it up in another game, then it is your own fault for not noticing it the previous week. I say change week 2 and leave week 1 alone.

The big question is how this went for years unnoticed.

Because the sequence of events required for it to be noticed are apparently rare:

1) An NFL team has to pitch a shutout

2) That NFL team defense has to have been started by one of our owners

3) The fantasy football game has to have been close enough where the 7 points would make a difference

Those three all have to happen at the same time for this to have been an issue. Really it is amazing that it happened 2 weeks in a row.

Your rules say you get 7 points for a shutout, so follow the rules.

If that is in writing, that is the rule. The fact that the other owners have not monitored their final results from games is THEIR fault.

Personal responsability baby! :D

Edited by McBoog

1B.

The rules were set and the scoring setup should reflect this. Any errors in the setup should be fixed to reflect the rules and scoring corrected retroactively.

But since it was not noticed until this season, it should only be for this year to avoid opening a hugh can of worms.

Totally agree, the season is just underway and can be amended...the past, well, that cannot be changed...

Kinda like finding unnatrual stuff in Lance Armstrong's urine now and taking away all his wins from years ago...Landis, on the other hand, well, ....you get the drift....

Who p*ssed in your cheerios?

Probably Dicks and sh!ts. He's an azz.

Edited by irish

fix week 1 and week 2 and let that be that

+1 ......Keep it friendly and correct both weeks, it's still early and won't require a lot to accomplish this. Your Team Owners will respect your candor and decision making prowess. Not much you can do about the past seasons but by all means right the ship this year for all those involved. How do you spell "Mutiny"

Who p*ssed in your cheerios?

Untateve asked me the same thing in another thread and basically it's grits. Since I joined these boards I haven't liked the guy and for some reason, I have a burr up my a-s here recently and I'm taking some shots at him for my personal enjoyment.

All else is good though. :D

Grits, you know the answer to this question: Rules are rules!

It is better to go back and correct the rules from week 1. No one, even the "now losing" coach from week one can argue that you are going against the rules. He may have noticed it himself and not said anything anyhow.

Your rules say you get 7 points for a shutout, so follow the rules.

+1