[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ocho Cinco Fined $5,000

DFox

Just got word that Chad Johnson was fined by the league for wearing 'Ocho Cinco' on his nameplate on the back of his jersey PRIOR to the game last Sunday in opening drills. IMO the league has sunk to a new low by levying a fine for this benign (and pretty funny) gag. The NFL just needs to back off and let these guys have a little fun out there. He's appealing the fine :D .

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of reminds me of "THEY HATE ME".. :D

you shut your filth communist mouth. He Hate Me and the XFL were gifts delivered from God Herself. Delivered to us po' folk in Vegas for being such loyal worshippers with great values. :bash:

I don't see what's so unclassy about what CJ has done. He has fun with his TD celebrations and other things, but he's never been disrespectful to another team by say running out to the midfield to celebrate on the star or anything like that. Ya he's gonna disrespect the DBs he faces to the press, but on the field he hasn't been trashy. Hasn't been trashy off the field either, unlike majority of that team.

I agree opposing DBs need to get in his face though, nothing more fun the drama.

Whoa...think alot of people need to calm down. Is it wrong for him to have fun while he's playing? So he's comical and sometimes stupid about it, so what? Is it hurting his team? Is it hurting him (other then the occassion fine that he obviously doesnt care about)?

IMO let them play and have fun. Otherwise the league could become like baseball. Americas favorite :D ....errr past time.

+1 Lets not forget, this is what he does for a living. It's his life. We just watch it. He doens't have to do anything for us. Not even acknowledge our existance. Who are we to say he's doing his job like a fool. We couldn't do it. If he wants to vent about it or make it more fun for himself, good for him. If he's doing it for us, even better. The NFL should learn this.

They should've fined him, simply because it's in the rules, but the rules should be changed, imo.

I thought I made my position abundantly clear.

No, pro football is not a game. It is far from a game. It is big business. Make that gigantic business. That's why a guy like Johnson can make more in one year than most people in the country will make in a life time.

He makes a living, and has a job playing a game. Let it go BB. For your own sake, just let it go.

The game of football and the NFL are only around due to the fact that they entertain us. If the NFL feels certain things will turn possible fans off, fine, outlaw them. But don't get so high and mighty that you detach and remove these players from the world around them. We like funny stuff. We like entertainment. Don't get crazy.

it's a game, and you know it.

It doesn't make the game any better. If you want to laugh at clowns, go to the circus.

I like the smack talk about who's covering him because it raises the level of the game, but who wants a bunch of idiots running around with goofy names on the jersey.

They fined him for having a sign saying "please don't fine me". :D I think he expected it.

*DING* *DING* *DING*

We have a winner. Johnson knew exactly what he was doing when he put the sign there. He knew the consequences, he knew he would be fined, and he did it anyhow. He obviously felt that drawing attention to himself in yet another juvenile way was more important than $5000.

What is it with him that he just has to constantly put himself in the spotlight above the rest of his team? Johnson is just another WR if his O-line doesn't keep the the D-linemen off his QB, the other skill players don't do their job either blocking or running their routes effectively, and Palmer doesn't deliver the football. Yet he thinks the game is all about him.

Hey, compadre, you want to impress me? Act with just a modicum of class on the field, respect the game a bit, and if you really feel the need to piss away money because you obviously make way too much of it, at least make it meaningful & give it to charity.

And while we're at it, shame on opposing DBs bending over & just meekly taking his humiliation. Where's the guy with some gonads taking his head off every play until his shuts his grill for good?

I caught what I guess was a replay of the incident on Sports Center this morning. Unless I missed something, the only reason he wore it BEFORE the game was because Carson Palmer ripped it off his back while on the sideline. And Palmer did not looked amused by it. In fact, he looked quite pissed off.

Good for Palmer! Finally. A leader taking charge of the inmates. :D

Just another distraction his team doesn't need.

Kind of reminds me of "THEY HATE ME".. :D

It was actually "He Hate Me", but I thought of the same thing when I saw "Ocho Cinco" last week.

Torrold D. "Rod" Smart (born January 9, 1977, Lakeland, Florida) is a former professional American football player. He has played for the Super Bowl XXXVIII runner-up Carolina Panthers as a kick returner/running back, the Philadelphia Eagles, the San Diego Chargers, and, most recently, the Oakland Raiders. Smart has played for the Canadian Football League Edmonton Eskimos, and infamously for the short-lived XFL Las Vegas Outlaws. Smart is perhaps best known for his Outlaws' jersey name He Hate Me.

*DING* *DING* *DING*

We have a winner. Johnson knew exactly what he was doing when he put the sign there. He knew the consequences, he knew he would be fined, and he did it anyhow. He obviously felt that drawing attention to himself in yet another juvenile way was more important than $5000.

What is it with him that he just has to constantly put himself in the spotlight above the rest of his team? Johnson is just another WR if his O-line doesn't keep the the D-linemen off his QB, the other skill players don't do their job either blocking or running their routes effectively, and Palmer doesn't deliver the football. Yet he thinks the game is all about him.

Hey, compadre, you want to impress me? Act with just a modicum of class on the field, respect the game a bit, and if you really feel the need to piss away money because you obviously make way too much of it, at least make it meaningful & give it to charity.

And while we're at it, shame on opposing DBs bending over & just meekly taking his humiliation. Where's the guy with some gonads taking his head off every play until his shuts his grill for good?

+1

Most TD celebrations are lame, forced and contrived. I don't see how they add any level of "FUN" to the game at all, nor do I get (or care to see) some a$$clown applying a self administered nickname to his jersey to draw atention to himself in the midst of a mediocre-at-best season.

The NFL should be given credit for fining him and not allowign any of thi scrap at any level. NFL=No Fools League

Just got word that Chad Johnson was fined by the league for wearing 'Ocho Cinco' on his nameplate on the back of his jersey PRIOR to the game last Sunday in opening drills. IMO the league has sunk to a new low by levying a fine for this benign (and pretty funny) gag. The NFL just needs to back off and let these guys have a little fun out there. He's appealing the fine :D .

Believe it or not a lot of people don't think acting like an *ss is "having a little fun." It's just acting like an *ss.

What I can't believe is anyone actually calling him 'Ocho Cinco'. That's 'Ocho Retarded.' These people should also get $5K fines.

Actually I'm also amazed the NFL had the jewels to fine him given how coddled players are most of the time.

i miss the team celebrations in the endzone.. some of those were well coreographed and funny. the nfl is getting really stupid with these rules.. its a f'ckin game.

I don't know what league you're watching but that also ultra-ghay BS still goes on. It is also asinine in the extreme.

Football is first and foremost a SPORT. If that's not "entertaining" enough for you all by itself, try wrassling or maybe MTV.

GDB the supercircus joke the NFL has become and GB at least once in awhile the NFL trying to pretend otherwise.

Chad would have loved the "He Hate Me" XFL.

I don't see what's so unclassy about what CJ has done. He has fun with his TD celebrations and other things, but he's never been disrespectful to another team by say running out to the midfield to celebrate on the star or anything like that. Ya he's gonna disrespect the DBs he faces to the press, but on the field he hasn't been trashy. Hasn't been trashy off the field either, unlike majority of that team.

I agree opposing DBs need to get in his face though, nothing more fun the drama.

Believe it or not a lot of people don't think acting like an *ss is "having a little fun." It's just acting like an *ss.

Football is first and foremost a SPORT. If that's not "entertaining" enough for you all by itself, try wrassling or maybe MTV.

GDB the supercircus joke the NFL has become and GB at least once in awhile the NFL trying to pretend otherwise.

Whoa...think alot of people need to calm down. Is it wrong for him to have fun while he's playing? So he's comical and sometimes stupid about it, so what? Is it hurting his team? Is it hurting him (other then the occassion fine that he obviously doesnt care about)?

IMO let them play and have fun. Otherwise the league could become like baseball. Americas favorite :D ....errr past time.

What I can't believe is anyone actually calling him 'Ocho Cinco'. That's 'Ocho Retarded.' These people should also get $5K fines.

Actually I'm also amazed the NFL had the jewels to fine him given how coddled players are most of the time.

I don't know what league you're watching but that also ultra-ghay BS still goes on. It is also asinine in the extreme.

[climbsonsoapbox]

I think this goes directly to the sissification of America by the ultra-liberals. It's the same kind of mentality that makes sure we don't keep score at kid's soccer games (football is just too mean for kids to play) so no one gets their feelings hurt, that men shouldn't hold open doors for women because it is conscending to them, that boys need to learn to learn like girls do in school, and othe similar crap.

So the consequences are that when the sissified boys grow up and watch the nasty, violent game that is pro football, they feel the need to lighten the experinence because of its violence. Sissy feminist dancing, booty shaking, and cute little skits & pantomimes reduce how horrifying the game is and make some feel warmer & fuzzier about the NFL. Imagine a bunch of guys sitting at the bar 30 years ago talking excitedly about the cute little TD dance that TO, or CJ, or some other psuedo-masturbater was doing in the endzone after scoring.

C'mon, guys, grow a pair & don't give into this feminizing of the greatest sport in the world!

[/climbsonsoapbox]

[climbsonsoapbox]

I think this goes directly to the sissification of America by the ultra-liberals. It's the same kind of mentality that makes sure we don't keep score at kid's soccer games (football is just too mean for kids to play) so no one gets their feelings hurt, that men shouldn't hold open doors for women because it is conscending to them, that boys need to learn to learn like girls do in school, and othe similar crap.

So the consequences are that when the sissified boys grow up and watch the nasty, violent game that is pro football, they feel the need to lighten the experinence because of its violence. Sissy feminist dancing, booty shaking, and cute little skits & pantomimes reduce how horrifying the game is and make some feel warmer & fuzzier about the NFL. Imagine a bunch of guys sitting at the bar 30 years ago talking excitedly about the cute little TD dance that TO, or CJ, or some other psuedo-masturbater was doing in the endzone after scoring.

C'mon, guys, grow a pair & don't give into this feminizing of the greatest sport in the world!

[/climbsonsoapbox]

That has to be By FAR the stupidest theory I've ever seen on why people do endzone celebrations.