[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favorite Family Vacation

cliaz

As I’ve gotten older, married and now with kids I start to reflect back on family events like vacations and trips. I got to thinking about one of my more favorite family vacations back in the early to mid 80s. My family (Step Father, Mother, Sister1, Sister2, Sister3, Sister4 and me) would go down to Ocean City here in Maryland and rent a condo on 52nd street ocean side. It was a good side condo as it had three bedrooms and 2 bathrooms plus a full kitchen and a full side living room.

In fact here is the condo

As the only male I of course slept out in the living room while the sisters got to share the bedrooms.

Well we had another family come down with one for a couple days one year (I think it was 86 but not sure). Anyways the father of that family worked as a firefighter with my step father. Normally the guys had to do whatever the girls wanted to do during vacation because we were out numbered but when Phil (the dude’s name) came down the guys decided it’s time to go do something different.

I remember being woken up at 4am in the morning and dragged out onto the beach for my first ever early morning surf fishing experience. I can’t remember what it was that I caught but I got a fish! We did that each of the three mornings he was down there. It was awesome to watch the sun rise above the ocean while pulling in a fish.

Then we went one time to go play put-put early in the morning after a big breakfast at some greasy spoon.

It was a good vacation spent doing things that didn’t involve shopping.

Do you have one particular vacation that just sticks with you when you were a kid?

not one in particular, but i remember driving to Disney World a couple times. My mom and dad would be in the front seat of our jeep, then we would have all our crap piled in the middle, and me and my sister would sit in the trunk. The back seat was put down so we could lay in there all the way to Florida. We would have to yell back and forth to our parents since there was a wall of stuff all the way to the ceiling. and whenever a truck came by, i would make the motion with my arm to make him honk and count how many trucks i got.

those were the days...

Our family couldn't afford alot of high priced vacations. In the 70's, the parents loaded the whole family up to Kitty Hawk, including the dog. We rented a dumpy cottage across from the Dairy Queen. Every night had a parfait (sp?) and the dog had the best time any dog could ever have. He chased those sand crabs on the beach the whole time. We cooked out on the grill and had a good ole time. I even got along with my sisters that week.

A few years later, we rented a nicer place that didn't allow dogs, in a better section of NagsHead and didn't have nearly as good a time.

Our family couldn't afford alot of high priced vacations. In the 70's, the parents loaded the whole family up to Kitty Hawk, including the dog. We rented a dumpy cottage across from the Dairy Queen. Every night had a parfait (sp?) and the dog had the best time any dog could ever have. He chased those sand crabs on the beach the whole time. We cooked out on the grill and had a good ole time. I even got along with my sisters that week.

A few years later, we rented a nicer place that didn't allow dogs, in a better section of NagsHead and didn't have nearly as good a time.

Some times is those dumps that are the best.

We are going to disney the end of this year but we really enjoy the Jersey shore..Wildwood, Point Pleasant, Seaside Heights..We love the beach at day and boardwalk at night..I go on ever ride I can fit on with my girls..Which is less and less every year :D

I had some great times in (and fun family trips to) OC, MD. Another memorable destination was Orlando/DisneyWorld.

What's unique about Disney is that my memories of it as a young boy were so grand. When I went back a few years ago, it was funny to see the sights and attactions that I thought were so grand years ago.

As I’ve gotten older, married and now with kids I start to reflect back on family events like vacations and trips. I got to thinking about one of my more favorite family vacations back in the early to mid 80s. My family (Step Father, Mother, Sister1, Sister2, Sister3, Sister4 and me) would go down to Ocean City here in Maryland and rent a condo on 52nd street ocean side. It was a good side condo as it had three bedrooms and 2 bathrooms plus a full kitchen and a full side living room.

My monthly business trips will be taking me to the Ocean City area for several years. Our project is in Millville, about 15 miles northwest in Delaware.

When I was there a month or so ago, it was like a ghost town... but I could tell that that place GOES OFF during spring/summer so I'm looking forward to my next trip. :D

Edit: Oh, and my favorite family vacations were the ones where we drove up the California coast to the Redwoods and southern Oregon. We had two 8-tracks: ABBA and Neil Diamond. :D

Edited by darin3

The pictur in my avi is my favorite spot and family and I still go every year ...Lake George, NY

Although the club meds in basra and kabul do offer very cheap packages

The wife has been talking about going up there right after school lets out and having a mini-just us family vacation. Because in July we do the big family vacatin and there are 70 people that go with us.

We never went on a family vacation when I was a kid (other than the annual trip to the family reunion in KY).

My favorite with my family was the Disney trip in '99. Since my son wasn't born yet we are going back in June. Looking forward to it.

We never went on a family vacation when I was a kid (other than the annual trip to the family reunion in KY).

My favorite with my family was the Disney trip in '99. Since my son wasn't born yet we are going back in June. Looking forward to it.

To bad you arent going later in the year we could have coordinated..Are you concerned it is going to be too hot in June ? Summer months would be perfect for us but we went once in August before we had kids and it was unbearably hot..

To bad you arent going later in the year we could have coordinated..Are you concerned it is going to be too hot in June ? Summer months would be perfect for us but we went once in August before we had kids and it was unbearably hot..

I was going to go the third week in May. Postponed it two weeks as not to have my daughter miss an entire week of school. We will be there the first week in June so I hope it won't be unbearable like July or August. I also hope most kids are still in school until the next week and it won't be overcrowded.

The first time we went was the last week in September. I took my daughter out of school for the week (no big deal in kindergarten) and it was a great time to go. Hot enough to still enjoy the waterparks but not unbearable. Also was probably only half-full due to school time.

Check out this advice from Mousesavers on the best time to go. And use their site for excellent info allaround.

maybe the one i remember most fondly is the 10 day jaunt we spent on a houseboat on lake powell when i was like 10 years old. my mom has a hugh (catholic) family, and almost all of my aunts, uncles and cousins went along on that trip. every minute of every day was filled with adventure, at least in my memory. waterskiing, fishing, exploring, diving off of the cliffs, waterballoon fights with other houseboats, getting dunked by my uncles in the 6 foot long beer cooler, sleeping on the roof of the houseboat and seeing more stars than i ever thought possible. every day was an absolute blast for everyone who was there.

Edited by Azazello1313

My favorite vacations were the ones where my parents and I visited my two male cousins in South Bend, Indiana. We'd leave the wimmens behind in South Bend and drive up through Michigan to do some fishing at one of the lakes in Canada. We had a canoe so we could fish all of the lake as well as swim, hike, and enjoy camping out. Good times, good times (except the time a black bear invaded our camp site while we were away. What a mess!).

When Kater was 12, she pitched her team to the Eastern Regionals of the Little League World Series and we made a vacation out of the week on the shore in Deleware. Brilliant. Fantastic beaches, fun amusement places, cheap hotels, great softball, lots of family time ... Plus, they did better than any Vermont team ever had at that level ... Priceless.

Soon after 911, I had to go to a conference in San Diego ... me flying alone made Mrs. Jelly skittish, so, we pulled the girls from school and the whole family went ... spent a week on Coronado Island -- incredible spot. Didn't waste much time conferencing, so we had plenty of time to enjoy ...

Mrs. Jelly qualified for an "all expense paid trip to Hawaii" due to her success in Tupperware -- and they didn't hold anything back ... we enjoyed a week on Waikiki in the Hilton Hawiian Village ... Didn't get to bring the kids, but for a brief respite for us as a married couple, it was beautiful.

Still ... those simple camping trips to Lake Elmore, Vermont when the girls were gradeschoolers are probably the most wonderous of them all ... :D

maybe the one i remember most fondly is the 10 day jaunt we spent on a houseboat on lake powell when i was like 10 years old. my mom has a hugh (catholic) family, and almost all of my aunts, uncles and cousins went along on that trip. every minute of every day was filled with adventure, at least in my memory. waterskiing, fishing, exploring, diving off of the cliffs, waterballoon fights with other houseboats, getting dunked by my uncles in the 6 foot long beer cooler, sleeping on the roof of the houseboat and seeing more stars than i ever thought possible. every day was an absolute blast for everyone who was there.

that does sound pimp

when i was young, we used to go to hawaii every year. our family met another family with a girl my age and 2 boys, 3 and 4 years older. we start doing family trips with them once or twice a year. i have always loved baseball and father made some bases and a home plate from wood. we would bring them, with gloves and bat (he would stuff em into his golf bag we called the corpse). so ....we would set up the bases on grassy areas and play ball..... ususally kids walking by would want to play and we'd get decent sized games...... of coarse that was on top of snokling, boogie boarding, hunting for sand crabs, playing in the pool... all the other stuff kids like to do while on a beach.

we used to take a lot of family trips... but those were my favorites

edit:

the other memories were with my best man's family. 3 boys, 4 years appart. always have a bunch of their freinds with them onthe trip. they would rent out a house in capitola (near santa cruz) for several weeks. pretty close walk to the beach.... boogie boarding and surfing, played football, ultimate frisbee, chase chicas, go to the boardwalk..... great memories

Edited by Bier Meister

What a small world, Cliaz. I have stayed in that exact condo complex. I would say it was about 15 years ago and it was also one of the best vacations that I have been on. What was so great about it was all the people that were there. I have found that I very much like to vacation with family. When my sisters and brothers can get together and we all vacation together, it is always fun. That year at that condo was one of the last times that we all were together and it just seemed like it was perfect with the ages of kids, etc.

Probably a Club Med in Mexico. It wasn't a "family" resort, so booze and naked chicks were everywhere. I was a sophmore in high school and my parents, for reasons to this day they can't fully explain, just took off the leash and let me run wild.

From what I can recall of the trip, I had a killer time.

Edited by yo mama

I enjoy the camping/fishing trips more so my favorite memories tend to lean that way.

1) Redfish Lake http://www.redfishlake.com/images/photo%20...ke%20aerial.jpg

You can either camp, or stay in rustic cabins. The fishing is great, and close. Been there many times.

2) Canon Beach, Oregon http://www.cannon-beach.net/

As a kid, we made this trip annually to see friends there. The trip along Oregon coast is also nice.