[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Culpepper Done in Miami?

Outshined

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/cont..._fins_0322.html

The Dolphins would prefer to have any new quarterback on board by April 13, when the team begins its spring mini-camp.

Acquiring either Green or Carr raises questions about the future of Daunte Culpepper. While he could be given a chance to prove himself during off-season practices, Culpepper is also due to make $51.5 million in base salary over the next seven years.

Culpepper's right knee is not yet 100 percent, sources said, and although he's made progress, the Dolphins want a dependable starter as soon as possible.

With only a $7M signing bonus with his restructured deal in MIA, Culpepper being cut is very feasible. If the cut is after June 1 - or made earlier & designated a June 1 cut, which I think every NFL team can do 2 times a year under the CBA extension, the cap hit is only $3.5M a year. With the new cap level, that's a very manageable number to swallow.

MIA should have hung onto Harrington for at least another year - at worst he'd be a stop gap for a rookie coming in, at best he'd develop into a solid but not spectacular starter for them. He could be a good #2 QB if a stud rookie beat him out for the spot in a year or two.

Per today's CBSSportsline report, the Dolphins are very close to aquiring Trent Green from the Chiefs. A great fit for them, if they work out a contract for him going forward. But a 7th round pick is all KC could garner for a former Pro-Bowl QB???

From CBS:

News: The Palm Beach Post reports that a reworked contract is the only thing holding back Trent Green from being traded from Kansas City to Miami. The Dolphins would reportedly give up their second seventh-round pick in exchange for Green. The 36-year-old Green is very familiar with the offense in place in Miami, built by head coach Cam Cameron and assisted by Terry Shea, both of whom have worked with Green.

Analysis: It's pretty amazing that Green, an annual 4,000-yard passer in his prime, will be dealt for a tiny draft pick while unproven QB Matt Schaub will fetch two second-round picks and a swap of first-round picks. In Miami, Green would likely start and should have moderate success leading the Dolphins thanks to his familiarity of coach Cameron's system. Consider him a No. 2 Fantasy QB if he ends up in Miami.

Not as funny as having JP Losman as your QB. :D

95% of Huddlers would agree... They'd rather have Losman than CPep. The other 5%? Those dolphins fans that still think he is the 2nd coming of Marino....

Hey did you know Losman actually had a pretty decent year? TDs/INTs - 19/14, Yards - 3051, Rating- 85

Your stud of a QB didnt even play, and the one that did wasnt very good.

Harrington - TDs/INTs - 12/15, Yards - 2236, Rating - 68.2

That was of course in 10 games. Im sure if he played in the other 6, he would have MUCH better stats... :D

It was a step up from a third for Lamar Gordon, a second for AJ Feeley, two firsts for Ricky or trading up for Vernon Carey...

The reality is, IMO, Miami needs to draft themselves a franchise QB. I think they go after Quinn. If they have to move up to do it, then thats what theyll TRY to do.

Per today's CBSSportsline report, the Dolphins are very close to aquiring Trent Green from the Chiefs. A great fit for them, if they work out a contract for him going forward. But a 7th round pick is all KC could garner for a former Pro-Bowl QB???

I think it was on Mike & Mike yesterday that not only would KC only get a 7th round pick, but that Green would only be making the league minimum for his tenure. I'm sure there would be some performance incentives, but still...

That's the only way - as a homer - that I'd want him. We are not in a win now situation. Getting a guy like Green will win us a couple more games, but not do anything for the future. We'll be lucky to even get to the wildcard round, much less the second round. If anything - it would hurt the over QB search/developement and get us a lower draft pick.

That's the only way - as a homer - that I'd want him. We are not in a win now situation. Getting a guy like Green will win us a couple more games, but not do anything for the future. We'll be lucky to even get to the wildcard round, much less the second round. If anything - it would hurt the over QB search/developement and get us a lower draft pick.

Green does one thing and one thing only for MIA - he bridges a gap between now and when the rookie they draft this year - whomever that is - takes over the wheel. He provides credibility at the position for the prsent and experience for the rookie to learn from. The fans don't get screwed like they have in the past with giving high picks for little return and the level of performance is maintained, which ain't all that bad right now.

Figure that the new HC knows how to use Ronnie Brown a little better than Saban's fiasco with him, and that makes the O that much better while giving green more breathing room.

Green for a 7th rounder is a very solid investment for a rent-a-QB.

Everytime one of these guys gets dealt to a team other than the Vikings it just ticks me off to no end! :D

We have some of the most glaring holes in the league in Minnesota, and Childress just sits back and watches while other teams snatch up the best available short-term fixes to those holes. :D

I don't like this move for Miami. Bringing in Green late in his career is only a stop-gap measure.

If Culpepper isn't the solution, then they need to draft a QB or maybe acquire David Carr. Hanging onto Harrington would've made more sense. At least he'd have a shot to be with the team long-term. What's Green now, 37? Its not like when the Bucs brought in Brad Johnson to win their SB. TB had a dominating defense and just needed consistent play at QB.

I don't like this move for Miami. Bringing in Green late in his career is only a stop-gap measure.

If Culpepper isn't the solution, then they need to draft a QB or maybe acquire David Carr. Hanging onto Harrington would've made more sense. At least he'd have a shot to be with the team long-term. What's Green now, 37? Its not like when the Bucs brought in Brad Johnson to win their SB. TB had a dominating defense and just needed consistent play at QB.

Agreed...although Harrington was cut for cap reasons, Miami should look to bring him back at a lower number rather than Green. With Miami looking at a stop-gap (Green), it tells me they are looking to draft a QB.

Anything on the Carr front? I'd expect Miami to be heavily involved.

Frankly, us getting a 7th is a pretty good deal (he's old, coming off an injury and wasn't impressive last year) ... and MIA only giving up a 7th rounder is also a good deal (rent-a-QB for 1-3yrs while new guy gets up to speed, good teammate, good citizen, etc).

Frankly, us getting a 7th is a pretty good deal (he's old, coming off an injury and wasn't impressive last year) ... and MIA only giving up a 7th rounder is also a good deal (rent-a-QB for 1-3yrs while new guy gets up to speed, good teammate, good citizen, etc).

A 7th is an absolute STEAL. Hes what, one year removed from the ProBowl? That year was last year, and he was injured. I dont think hes lost anything. I think he'll be comeback player of the year.

A 7th is an absolute STEAL. Hes what, one year removed from the ProBowl? That year was last year, and he was injured. I dont think hes lost anything. I think he'll be comeback player of the year.

Miami had their chance to have a comeback player of the year but he was too injured to pass their physical but DC passed it and was named starter???