[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm trying to decide...

Jackass

just get out the back, jack. make a new plan, stan. no need to be coy, roy. just get yourself free.

seriously though, no one here can answer that for you. i will say though that sometimes feeling that pressure to take things to the next level can make her less appealing in the short term in a way that, later on, you'll miss her a lot and regret not sticking it out.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many people get married and have families together simply because they've been together a long time, things seem nifty, and they're around the right age when everyone else does things like get married and have families. Then they end up getting divorced within 10 years. If you're already saying that she's not the one, why stick around to do all that? She may be great and you may get along ok, but forcing more than that because she's there and you don't want to be alone? Not good enough.

Is it possible that you are harboring latent homosexual tendencies, and that is

at the center of your indecisiveness? If so, do this gal a favor and move on, homo.

Edited by Controller

at the center of your indecisiveness? If so, do this gal a favor and move on, homo.

:D Yep, but I thought that was obvious.

What is the expected opportunity cost of staying with her?

To calculate this, you would need to solve an equation along the lines of:

Z = (Px*Hx - Hy) + (Px*Hx - Hy)/ (1+d) + (Px*Hx - Hy)/ (1+d)^2 + (Px*Hx - Hy)/ (1+d)^3 + ... + (Px*Hx - Hy)/ (1+d)^n

where:

Z = the opportunity cost of staying with the current woman

Px = probability of hooking up with a "better" woman

Hx = the happiness you will get from being with a "better" woman

Hy = the happiness you get from being with current woman

d = the rate at which you discount future happiness

n = number of years you estimate are left in your life

If Z > 0, then you should dump your current woman. (Edit to add: I am assuming that you are risk-neutral.)

(In reality, the actual equation that he should solve is a little bit trickier, but for simplicity I decided to avoid the use of integral calculus and probability distributions because the basic idea I am trying to get across is the same.)

Edited by wiegie

:D

Controller! 'bout time you dragged your butt back in here

What is the expected opportunity cost of staying with her?

To calculate this, you would need to solve an equation along the lines of:

Z = (Px*Hx - Hy) + (Px*Hx - Hy)/ (1+d) + (Px*Hx - Hy)/ (1+d)^2 + (Px*Hx - Hy)/ (1+d)^3 + ... + (Px*Hx - Hy)/ (1+d)^n

where:

Z = the opportunity cost of staying with the current woman

Px = probability of hooking up with a "better" woman

Hx = the happiness you will get from being with a "better" woman

Hy = the happiness you get from being with current woman

d = the rate at which you discount future happiness

n = number of years you estimate are left in your life

If Z > 0, then you should dump your current woman. (Edit to add: I am assuming that you are risk-neutral.)

(In reality, the actual equation that he should solve is a little bit trickier, but for simplicity I decided to avoid the use of integral calculus and probability distributions because the basic idea I am trying to get across is the same.)

:D

You must be single. :D

worse, he married a stinky french chick.

He's married to Dr. Sac.?!? :D

:D She is Swiss.

He spoiled Swiss Miss. :D

Did her package come with those firm marshmallows?

Hang in there! Get married, become even more miserable and enjoy the divorce at 45. Then you can look back at the 10 years of misery like so many others I know that weren't sure but settled.

Life's too short. Cut and run.

Yep- if it is just out of convenience and being mid 30's- get out before it really gets serious. Sh1t, mid 30's is nothin these days anyway- us guys can always go young- which is a beautiful thang.

That fact that you had to ask the question in the first place probably gives you all the answer you need.

Don't be a Megan Fox. Be honest with yourself, then be honest with her. If that merely entails telling her, "I'm not ready now, and I honestly don't know if I ever will be" then so be it, if that's the truth.