[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Flying first class

Skilly

This last week I travelled down to Norfok VA from Connecticut. I was supposed to fly out of Providence RI, but something happened at the airport from all the rain (wall caved in or something) and my flight was cancelled. I called my company travel agency, and they re-booked me a flight for that day out of Harford, but the only seats left were first class. No problem for me....I'm not paying for the flight.

This was my first time ever flying in first class, and I must say, it was wonderful. :D The fact that the airlines have to cram in as many seats into those planes in the coach section is pathetic.

Anyway, if anyone has flown first class before, do you feel a little self-conscious when you are seated and then have to watch all the other passengers pass you on their way back to the cramped coach section? They pass you with that expression of both mild hatred and longing. It was weird.

Anybody else have some airline stories?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This last week I travelled down to Norfok VA from Connecticut. I was supposed to fly out of Providence RI, but something happened at the airport from all the rain (wall caved in or something) and my flight was cancelled. I called my company travel agency, and they re-booked me a flight for that day out of Harford, but the only seats left were first class. No problem for me....I'm not paying for the flight.

This was my first time ever flying in first class, and I must say, it was wonderful. :D The fact that the airlines have to cram in as many seats into those planes in the coach section is pathetic.

Anyway, if anyone has flown first class before, do you feel a little self-conscious when you are seated and then have to watch all the other passengers pass you on their way back to the cramped coach section? They pass you with that expression of both mild hatred and longing. It was weird.

Anybody else have some airline stories?

Was upgraded to first class for free years ago when I flew from Greenville NC to Detroit. I wasn't that impressed but it was Northwest, so that's no surprise. What always surprises me is that a lot of the people in first don't look like your archetypal first class passengers. Maybe they are lucky upgrades.

On the other side of the coin, I've flown to and from Japan non-stop in coach....twice. That wasn't fun.

Anyway, if anyone has flown first class before, do you feel a little self-conscious when you are seated and then have to watch all the other passengers pass you on their way back to the cramped coach section?

No.

This was my first time ever flying in first class, and I must say, it was wonderful. :D

Be careful about admitting such things in these parts. Somebody will be by to denounce your superficiality

One of the companies that we deal with flew me and my business partner out to tour the factory. He brought his wife, and at the time, I was single. He and his wife were across teh isle, and I had both seats on the other side. Talk about spreading out.

I really don't remember much about the flight, we arrived into Minneapolis late and missed our connecting, so he and I went to the bar to talk about fantasy football (he got me started that day) and got really drunk. I had to have a drink on the plane even though I didn't need one just because they were free.

I was bumped from coach to first class once. Unfortunately, it was only an hour flight from Oakland to Orange County, CA.

I fly a lot for business and try upgrading at every opportunity. It's usually around $100 and for longer flights, it's gotta be worth it. I have a $250 voucher from Delta and will attempt to upgrade on my Delta flight to Florida on Tuesday.

Yup. Loved it. We flew out to Vegas from Detroit a few years ago. We bumped up on American (I think. I know it wasn't Northwest.) The drinks came early and often. The meal was actually good too. Then they brought out ice cream sundaes with real hot fudge. :D

When I was a lad, we took a family trip to London. We flew British Airways. My headphones didn't work, so they offered to move me to first class where there was an open seat. I was 11 or 12, and my mom didn't want me sitting away from her. I still bring it up.

i fly overseas all the time and first/business class makes a hugh difference. i think if you travel frequently, the weird feeling as people pass you by fades quickly. most of the people in the front of the class are traveling for business, so it's not like any statement of wealth for most people. i'm grateful i've got a company that at least make things comfortable for me while i'm away from home so much. the little things can mean a lot when you are stressed out from going to a new country while missing your loved ones.

oh, and the steaming washcloths are da bomb.

Self conscious?? hell no - i give them all the finger while sipping my champagne......

:D

I actually had to supress a smirk as I was stretching out my legs. The flight attendant caught me off guard when, no longer than 1 minute after I sat down, she asked if I wanted a drink. Hell yeah I want a drink!

They didn't offer the hot towels though. :D

We're totally spoiled now after flying in First Class to Jamaica and back last fall. I didn't feel so weird about seeing all the coach passengers pass us by, but it was a bit strange to have someone come and take drink orders before we've even sat down. Not that I'm complaining or anything! :D

Thanks to the wonder of frequent flyer mile accounts, we're flying First Class to Vegas next weekend. The only bummer is that our flight out is at like 6:30am. Think that's too early for a bloody mary? lol

My new job has me traveling like a mofo, and I fly almost exclusively Northwest. Now that I'm in their elite program, it's not uncommon for me to get bumped to first class. I never feel guilty, as anyone could sit in first class if they wanted to pay for it.

My first time in first class was about like yours. I got off the plane thinking this is the way to fly.

I just must have austere tastes because I haven't been that overly impressed the times I have gotten to fly first class. I mean, being in first-class didn't get me to my location any quicker than it did the people in coach. :D

I just know that there's a stature joke in here somewhere...

:D

I just must have austere tastes because I haven't been that overly impressed the times I have gotten to fly first class. I mean, being in first-class didn't get me to my location any quicker than it did the people in coach. :D

If you gave wiegie a Porsche GT2, he wouldn't be impressed with it.

The trunk is too small. Or it doesn't get good gas mileage. Or something.

I always try to bump up at the gate when flying somewhere for vacation. Usually not all that bad if available and believe me I get my $$ in drinks. Last time going from Seattle to Vegas I bumped for $80, asked for a six pack as soon as I sat down. Attendant: six pack? Hugh: yes, three beers and three shots of tequlia. Don't remember parts of that trip, then again that is probably a good thing :D

If you gave wiegie a Porsche GT2, he wouldn't be impressed with it.

The trunk is too small. Or it doesn't get good gas mileage. Or something.

I never said that there was a problem with first-class (as you seem to be implying with your Porsche example), just that it didn't seem like that big of a deal to me.