[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cats cut Key

tonyr0802

link

I'm shocked to say the least that wikipedia has the last info.

Keyshawn Johnson was released by the Dallas Cowboys on March 14, 2006.

On March 23, 2006, Johnson signed a four year, $14 million dollar deal with the Carolina Panthers. Of this, he is guaranteed a $5 million dollar signing bonus. He is expected to play opposite Steve Smith as the number two receiver.

During the Carolina Panther's Monday Night Football game against the Buccaneers on November 13, 2006, Johnson became the first player in NFL history to score a touchdown on MNF with four different teams (Jets, Buccaneers, Cowboys and Panthers).

Keyshawn was fined $5K in Dec of 2006 for throwing his helmet in rage during a 27-24 loss to the Eagles.

Keyshawn Johnson was released from the Panthers on May 1, 2007 after just one season with the club. He posted 70 receptions for 815 yards and 4 touchdowns in Carolina.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to see how Chilly responds to Keyshawn on the open market. His experience with TO was not good to say the least. I'd be surprised if he took another shot at a prima donna receiver.

Well, they did draft Sidney Rice. Didn't I hear he was confrontational with his coach, Steve Spurrier?

On ESPN, Floyd Reese said that he - as a GM - would pass on signing Johnson. :D I don't get it. I think he's past his "disruptive" years and would be a solid #3 receiver on a team with some young WRs. Titans? Vikes? Packers?

I think that this is probably a good move by Carolina. It will give the young WR more reps and should speed up their development.

If I was a GM and considering acquiring Keyshawn I would move him into the Tight End position. I personally think he would thrive there. He needs to put on 10-15 pounds to take some of the pounding he would get from the DE's and LB's but he would still have enough burst and speed to seperate from some of the linebackers and DE's dropping into coverage.

He's a great blocker so he would be more of an asset than a liability in the run game. There are some teams out there that could really utilize him (Seattle, Philly, Arizona, etc.) Key has definately lost a step and has a hard time seperating from the DB2's he faces each week but I can't help but think he would create some matchup problems for some LB's in coverage.

The question is could his ego handle the move? What do you guys think?

And 1 month ago. They gave Key a 3 million roster bonus.

Not wise by the kitty cats

Actually, it was a $1MM bonus that was deferred from his original signing bonus. They would have had to paid him another $1MM reporting bonus if he started camp with the team.

They DID NOT him a $3MM bonus on 4/1.

Contrary to wide-spread reports, the Panthers did not pay Johnson a $3 million bonus on April 1. They did pay him $1 million on April 1, but that was money that was deferred from his initial $3 million signing bonus and had to be paid under any circumstances. The Panthers will avoid a $1 million reporting bonus that would have been due if Johnson came to training camp.

Johnson will be designated as a June 1 cut and that will allow the Panthers to spread out his salary cap hit over two years. Had Johnson played this year, he would have cost $3.25 million against the cap. Instead, he will count $1.25 million this year and $2.5 million against the 2008 cap.

Here is the full article:

:D

Edited by PSULions

This is a bad move by the Panthers IMO. Key was willing to be a mentor to Carter and Jarrett, and transition himself out the door in the next two years. Having Key would have allowed Carter to play the slot, Jarrett to play the fourth, and cut Colbert's worthless azz.

Steve doesn't always have the patience and Colbert doesn't have the respect needed to mentor the younger receivers. This move should have been made NEXT season. :D

wow that blows especially after he was saying that he would love to mentor Dwayne. Ouch thats a real low blow!! I hope he lands with a playoff contending team! Good Luck Keyshawn. Hopefully u will becaome a NINER!!

wow that blows especially after he was saying that he would love to mentor Dwayne.

I would think it was this comment that got him waived -- I would think the Panthers wouldn't want anyone like Meyshawn "mentoring" their young receiver ... The conversion from "selfish disruptive force" to "sage veteran" sure isn't going well for "the Key" :D

The Panthers wanted players who could start this season, and Jarrett is one they intend to give significant PT, so Key, in essence takes away practice and playing time from the other younger WR. The Panthers are making a transistion this season with Jeff Davidson, and the brass wants the offensive players immeresed in the new system....Key most likely just this one more season...taking up practice and playing time? It makes sense to me to get a clear cut starter right into the new system..heck Key is no further ahead with the new system than Jarrett at this point since he's been in SoCal chilling......decieding what he would do and if he wanted to learn a new system at this point in his career.

Local (Cincy) sports radio was "wondering" if he'd be a good fit for Bengals, in light of Henry's 8-game suspension. ~3/4 of votes on a blog poll said no way, but I admit it is interesting.

He would fit right in on a team w/ 3 Johnsons in starting offense (Chad, Rudi, Jerimi), a backup QB (Doug) Johnson, and a starting LB (Landen) Johnson. Wouldn't that be kharma if the "missing" Johnson were the piece to put them over the edge into the Superbowl?

Edited by Bengal Mania

Local (Cincy) sports radio was "wondering" if he'd be a good fit for Bengals, in light of Henry's 8-game suspension. ~3/4 of votes on a blog poll said no way, but I admit it is interesting.

He would fit right in on a team w/ 3 Johnsons in starting offense (Chad, Rudi, Jerimi), a backup QB (Doug) Johnson, and a starting LB (Landen) Johnson. Wouldn't that be kharma if the "missing" Johnson were the piece to put them over the edge into the Superbowl?

I'll bet the Bengals are used to seeing a lot of Johnsons. Bubba's just before lights out, Zeus' in the shower, Rocky's between the bookshelves in the library...

Chilly was on KFAN AM show today and was asked about the Purple making a play for him. Couldn't tell much from the exchange, other than he didn't seem that interested. Seems like a very logical type receiver to take to help out a young QB with a bunch of new kid receivers around, but I dunno. He may not have much left, and his attitude certainly is not the best. I guess Chilly is happy enough having the new high jumper on board who has never once been punched in the mouth... :D