[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fathers of Daughters

alexgaddis

My 5 year old and I watched Shrek 2 tonite and enjoyed it more than the first one...but when the "emotional" ending came my daughter started weeping like, well, like a little girl...I tried to ask her about it but she got really embarrassed...she had the same reaction from the "emotional" part of Madagascar...she won't talk about it and said she didn't like the movie...any fathers experience this before?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 5 year old and I watched Shrek 2 tonite and enjoyed it more than the first one...but when the "emotional" ending came my daughter started weeping like, well, like a little girl...I tried to ask her about it but she got really embarrassed...she had the same reaction from the "emotional" part of Madagascar...she won't talk about it and said she didn't like the movie...any fathers experience this before?

Of course. It's totally normal. I remember when ET came out watching that with my (then) 4 or 5 year old. Dear God, the piece where the little green guy was ill........ :D

No issue. Little girls are just like their larger versions, tightly strung balls of random emotion. Impossible to explain. :D

Tough deal, dad...

I believe one of the key things we're to do as parents is help our kids learn to make good decisions ... and a hugh hunk of that is helping them learn to deal with the emotions and hormones coursing through their veins.

A suggestion from a dad with a little girl who's nearly eight ... have a 'general' talk about hormones where you describe how hormones can impact emotions. Just give her some very basic facts so that she doesn't feel like she's the only one that feels these things. She may have noticed that you weren't crying when she was, therefore, she may believe that you don't feel the same emotions and therefore can't really bring herself to talk about her emotions.

The conversation may go something like this:

Do you know what hormones are, honey?

No, daddy.

Remember when you scraped your knee and it bled?

Yes.

Well, inside of you you have other things besides blood. One of the things you have inside of you are some chemicals called 'hormones'. Did you know that?

No.

Do you know what these hormones do?

No.

I'd like to tell you because it's pretty cool. When you feel happy, your body will have more "happy hormones" flowing in your blood. When you feel sad, your body will have more "sad hormones". When you're angry, the same thing. Did you know that I have hormones? Did you know that mommy has hormones?

No.

Yup. Everyone has hormones. At different times, we all feel sad or happy or peaceful or angry. Sometimes, though, what makes you happy may make someone else sad. Or, sometimes if you're sad, you may notice that not everyone else seems sad. Do you remember any times when you were sad and you didn't think anyone else was sad?

...then, see where something like this goes... It'll probably be a long-term parenting project to get your daughter comfortable discussing her emotions with you ... but, it'll be a big deal for her future marriage (imo). If she can learn to have open and honest discussions with her dad, she will have open honest discussions with her husband many years down the road. Or such is my theory on parenting daughters...

Keep talking to her alex ...in a positive , gentle way ..explain its ok to feel that way and that she should not dislike a movie because it made her emotional ...explain emotions are good and it makes us who we are

I have 3 daughters and approx 72 boxes of kleenex at home ...I know the deal ...but its all good

Tough deal, dad...

I believe one of the key things we're to do as parents is help our kids learn to make good decisions ... and a hugh hunk of that is helping them learn to deal with the emotions and hormones coursing through their veins.

A suggestion from a dad with a little girl who's nearly eight ... have a 'general' talk about hormones where you describe how hormones can impact emotions. Just give her some very basic facts so that she doesn't feel like she's the only one that feels these things. She may have noticed that you weren't crying when she was, therefore, she may believe that you don't feel the same emotions and therefore can't really bring herself to talk about her emotions.

No, daddy.

Yes.

Well, inside of you you have other things besides blood. One of the things you have inside of you are some chemicals called 'hormones'. Did you know that?

No.

No.

I'd like to tell you because it's pretty cool. When you feel happy, your body will have more "happy hormones" flowing in your blood. When you feel sad, your body will have more "sad hormones". When you're angry, the same thing. Did you know that I have hormones? Did you know that mommy has hormones?

No.

Yup. Everyone has hormones. At different times, we all feel sad or happy or peaceful or angry. Sometimes, though, what makes you happy may make someone else sad. Or, sometimes if you're sad, you may notice that not everyone else seems sad. Do you remember any times when you were sad and you didn't think anyone else was sad?

...then, see where something like this goes... It'll probably be a long-term parenting project to get your daughter comfortable discussing her emotions with you ... but, it'll be a big deal for her future marriage (imo). If she can learn to have open and honest discussions with her dad, she will have open honest discussions with her husband many years down the road. Or such is my theory on parenting daughters...

That is the wildest thing I have ever read.It is a much different mindset than I use when dealing with Polk Jr. when I tell him he acts like a girl.

The pitcher for our t-ball team is a girl. She got hit in the eye this year and started crying. He dad screamed from the stands, "come on, you still hav on eye, quit acting like a girl"

That is the wildest thing I have ever read.It is a much different mindset than I use when dealing with Polk Jr. when I tell him he acts like a girl.

When Muck Jr. (the eldest) is all whiny, I ask him if he's a man or a mouse (rather than ask him if he's a boy or a girl -- don't want to make my daughter think that acting all whiny is expected of women, after all -- in the future, her husband better thank me for this).

PS - Muck Jr. (the eldest) knew from the get-go that the answer is "a man". And, my response always is, "Well, then do you have character and discipline?" ... yes, daddy ... "Well, then stop whining and explain to me what you are having a hard time with here."

The pitcher for our t-ball team is a girl. She got hit in the eye this year and started crying. He dad screamed from the stands, "come on, you still hav on eye, quit acting like a girl"

Sounds like a great dad! Sheesh. I hope neither of my boys marries into that family...good grief!

You can do what I do with my daughters. Ask them "Does Daddy need to go to the store and get you your own box of tampons?" My wife has had real hormone issues, and my girls know this. They know to give mom a wide birth at certain times of the month. When they start acting overly emotional, my wife started asking them if they need one of her tampons. Usually it makes them laugh and they get over it rather quickly. My girls are 6 and 9.

Keep talking to her alex ...in a positive , gentle way ..explain its ok to feel that way and that she should not dislike a movie because it made her emotional ...explain emotions are good and it makes us who we are

I have 3 daughters and approx 72 boxes of kleenex at home ...I know the deal ...but its all good

This is what I did and will continue to do...I told her that we could talk about it when she felt like talking about it...I might ask her about it again in a day or so...

She may have noticed that you weren't crying when she was, therefore, she may believe that you don't feel the same emotions and therefore can't really bring herself to talk about her emotions.

riiiight, cause I wasn't crying...:D

:D

No issue. Little girls are just like their larger versions, tightly strung balls of random emotion. Impossible to explain. :D

+1

My 7 yr old doesn't get upset at movies, she just gets to "feeling sad" sometimes. She can't, or won't explain why or what she's feeling sad about most of the time and pretty much all we can do is be there for her & give her love. I've told my wife many times before how with boys pretty much all you have to do is tell them to suck it up. With boys it's all about teaching them to control their emotions, with girls you have to help them deal with them.

Father's of Daughters,

I'm not sure you are aware, but, if your daughter is 18 years of age or older, it is required by Huddle by-laws that you post a picture of them, preferably in a bikini, mini-skirt, or some other scantily-clad attire. We will also accept pictures of them in Pittsburgh Steelers jersey. Sorry, I don't make the rules. :D

They have been lax on this rule for long enough, now, lets get those pictures posted !!!!!

Edited by Menudo

"Honey, do you know how to make a hormone?"

"No daddy, how?"

"Don't Pay her!"

Anyway, it is scientific fact, ugly people produce boys, beautiful people make girls, so feel good about that.

If my little tyke throws an errant pitch, I'll tell her she throws like a girl, that pisses her off...

Isn't that how they find out if she'd be a good Jedi also?

When Muck Jr. (the eldest) is all whiny, I ask him if he's a man or a mouse (rather than ask him if he's a boy or a girl -- don't want to make my daughter think that acting all whiny is expected of women, after all -- in the future, her husband better thank me for this).

If he doesn't let us know, we'll have Nsab go kick the Sega! out him. :D

BTW muck, I think this all is a real good take on parenting. Not that I know alot on the subject, but after some of the behaviors I've seen...well let's just say this is like a ray of sunshine.

Tough deal, dad...

No, daddy.

Yes.

No.

No.

No.

that's right, honey, and rover has hormones too.

really?

yeah, like when his potty looks like a red lipstick and he starts trying to rub it on your leg? that means he has lots of happy hormones inside of him that want to get out.