[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One Person Sitting at a Table for 4

TDFFFreak

I was sitting, reading the paper at my local Corner Bakery Cafe today at a table for 4. There were a handfull 2 person tables available, however, they were in the middle of an isle or in narrow isles with a lot of traffic where people comstantly bump you to walk by. The place wasn't packed, but it got me wondering: was it very inconsiderate of me to take a table where I could spread out even if I was alone?

What if the place was packed and I had the choice between a very undesirable 2 seater versus a decent 4 seater?

I'm not looking to be rude and if I see a mother with a young child, I would make sure she got the 4 seater, but beyond that I am not sure what my responsibility is as a patron of a counter service restaurant. Thoughts?

Edited by TDFFFreak

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eff no. With all the idiots on their cell phones (some on speakerphone), and other annoying types... this should be the last of anyone's worry. Most "two seaters" are very small. I ALWAYS have the newspaper with me and these tables are simply not big enough. Then again, I tend to eat lunch after the lunch rush, so it's never an issue.

Well, you could look at it a few different ways I guess. It may suck for the waiter who got "stuck" with just you and most likely lost some tip money vs. a group of three or four. :D

However, I am a big guy and will pretty much ask for proper seating so that I don't have some of the problems that you talked about. I will not sit in the two seater at PF Changs ever as they are just too close together for me. I go there plenty and when the crowd is large I tell the person that is going to seat us that those seats won't do for me. I just can't see who could be happy in one of those seats.

So in short I guess I don't see it as a problem. You are spending your money so you should be comfortable, IMO.

I never sat in a bakery ...I usually walk in , take a number , get my loaves of italian bread , maybe a few rainbow cookies and then leave

To answer your question , if you did nothing intentional and basically no one complained or was put out by you sitting at the table for 4 I see no problem with it ....

Man I wish I had a few rainbow cookies now :D

Well, you could look at it a few different ways I guess. It may suck for the waiter who got "stuck" with just you and most likely lost some tip money vs. a group of three or four. :D

However, I am a big guy and will pretty much ask for proper seating so that I don't have some of the problems that you talked about. I will not sit in the two seater at PF Changs ever as they are just too close together for me. I go there plenty and when the crowd is large I tell the person that is going to seat us that those seats won't do for me. I just can't see who could be happy in one of those seats.

So in short I guess I don't see it as a problem. You are spending your money so you should be comfortable, IMO.

Ah, well I was referring to fast food joints and the like. If I'm at a place where there are waiters, I sit wherever the hostess takes me!

If I'm by myself, I just pick a table with an open seat and sit down with whoever is already there.

Then I ask them if they have already taken Jesus as their personal savior. That usually gets things going. If that topic grows stale, I tell them about how they can run their own home business and make hundreds of thousands of dollars a month.

I like you and wish you a happy lunch. :D

I always wondered if there was love in this cruel world. I now see there is. Thank you kind sir.

Ah, well I was referring to fast food joints and the like. If I'm at a place where there are waiters, I sit wherever the hostess takes me!

Yeah, this instance is in a fast casual type atmosphere such as Corner Bakery, Baja Fresh, Panera, etc. I generally don't eat alone at sitdown service places anyway.

If I'm by myself, I just pick a table with an open seat and sit down with whoever is already there.

Then I ask them if they have already taken Jesus as their personal savior. That usually gets things going. If that topic grows stale, I tell them about how they can run their own home business and make hundreds of thousands of dollars a month.

That would have me running for the door in about one second flat. H8 and Spain would become best friends with you though...

I don't see a problem with it, as long as it wasn't busy.

If it was busy, it could be argued that it would be a bit of a p.rickish move.

If the 4 seater was the only table left, I'd take it. Otherwise, I'd probably just grab the 2 seater in most cases unless I knew that there will be other seats coming up shortly or that 2 seater was the worst seat in the house. If I have my food, I don't think I'd pass up a table if it meant that I had sit there with food and no table to eat it at.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I'm sure detlef will be along soon to tell you what an a-hole you are and how unfair it is to the server and how often they can turn a table of 4 vs. a table of two and how it costs the company money and how would you feel if you were the owner of the place blah blah blah.........

:D love ya det...keep them recipes coming.

I don't see a problem with it, as long as it wasn't busy.

If it was busy, it could be argued that it would be a bit of a p.rickish move.

My thoughts exactly.

If you're forcing bigger group to wait/split up you're being a d1ck.

Not to Hijack but along these lines a problem I run into in the city sometimes is when my friend and I are waiting to be seated and there is a table for 2 occupied but the people are done eating and are basically nursing their drinks and talking while people that are ready to eat are waiting. I think if its a busy place when you are done eating you should leave the table shortly after that. Finish up your drink , gather your stuff and move on in a considerate time frame

Edited by whomper

Not to Hijack but along these lines a problem I run into in the city sometimes is when my friend and I are waiting to be seated and there is a table for 2 occupied but the people are done eating and are basically nursing their drinks and talking while people that are ready to eat are waiting. I think if its a busy place when you are done eating you should leave the table shortly after that. Finish up your drink , gather your stuff and move on in a considerate time frame

Don't worry whomper , if this happens today during our lunch , me and you will kick arse and take names later ...

:D

Don't worry whomper , if this happens today during our lunch , me and you will kick arse and take names later ...

:D

Havana is a prime place that that happens. :D

Do it in a restaurant with servers, and yer inviting "waiter sauce" to be added to your meal.

:D Any restaurant with servers most likely has a hostess that seats you. Am I wrong?

Edit: I don't eat out much, and when I do, it's unfortunately a quick stop at a fast food joint for lunch while out in the field for work. I don't eat at places like Panera or Baja Fresh.

Edited by darin3

:D Any restaurant with servers most likely has a hostess that seats you. Am I wrong?

Edit: I don't eat out much, and when I do, it's unfortunately a quick stop at a fast food joint for lunch while out in the field for work. I don't eat at places like Panera or Baja Fresh.

Why not, dude - are the lines too long? Both those places have good grub.....

Why not, dude - are the lines too long? Both those places have good grub.....

Well I've eaten at Baja Fresh before. Not bad, but now that I'm in Texas, the Tex-Mex is wayyyyyyyyy better than this stuff. As for Panera... had it before and it's good... only had it delivered to office though.

Way I look at it, if I'm gonna have a "quick" lunch, I'd rather not have to spend $12. So I'm either doing fast food, or I'm at a "sit-down" place.

So in a nutshell, I rarely eat at those "in-between" type of places.