[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone ever heard this term?

Big Country

Toehead

Apparently it is a non-derogatory name, especially in southern california, for a very blond child, particularly with a tan. Anyone ever heard of this term?

I believe it is actually "towhead", referring to tow which was like chaff or flax for weaving. Just means light haired. Nothing negative I know of.

Towhead

From Wikipedia,

A towhead is a sandbar or small alluvial island in a river that often features a small grouping of trees.

A towhead also refers to a person with light blond hair. This is based on the hair's resemblance to tow which is coarse or broken flax prepared for spinning. (http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=towhead)

It also refers to a person whose hair lightens considerably when exposed to the sun.

I've NEVER heard it used as a derogatory term

might have just been a local thing, but in sf i heard it used to describe asians (kind of like chili bowl haircut), and it was used in a derogatory way.

I thought that was "zipperhead"

I thought that was "zipperhead"

My brother loves that particular term. Apparently, my grandpa (WW II vet) used the phrase (though I don't remember it). My bro uses it as part of his justification for his fetish for Asian women. As he says, "Some guys like redheads... I like zipperheads".

On a related note, I used the term "Oriental" to differentiate the ethnic group usually called Asians from other ethnic groups in Asia. I don't think that the reaction could have been worse if I had referred to them as "Chinks" or "slants". When did Oriental become derogatory?

:D I never knew this:

1. Zipper Head

Used during vietnam, Charlie was coined zipperheads because of the way a head looked after it had been hit with a high powered automatic weapon. The the typical rising machine gun would cause a face wound that looked like an open zipper on the face of some one from the viet kong.

On a related note, I used the term "Oriental" to differentiate the ethnic group usually called Asians from other ethnic groups in Asia. I don't think that the reaction could have been worse if I had referred to them as "Chinks" or "slants". When did Oriental become derogatory?

:D You could go all Deadwood and start calling them "Celestials."