[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL confiscates camera aimed at Jets bench

nhoops

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly doubt that it had any effect on the out come of this game though.....maybe future games when they identify certain hand signals for certain plays and blitzs.

I think the implication is that the signals were being filmed and broadcast so they could be observed live then relayed to the offense while on the field. The Pats apparently had done this before, having already deciphered the hand signals.

Edited by CopeDog

Let me clarify myself: The Patriots did it and got caught but people are acting like they are the only ones. I feel as though all teams try to steal signs some way or another. Why else do people cover their mouths?

What makes you think that other teams are doing it? If the Pats (far from a "sloppy" organization) have gotten caught TWICE now, why hasn't anybody else been exposed?

I'm sure that other teams try to VISUALLY steal signs, but doing it with a video camera is a completely different matter.

I think the implication is that the signals were being filmed and broadcast so they could be observed live then relayed to the offense while on the field. The Pats apparently had done this before, having already deciphered the hand signals.

I know what the implication was.....but there was taping involved.....not a direct broadcast. So the tapes would have to be analyzed along with pics/film of the play on the field.

Quite possible that tapes from the 1st Q were analyzed for halftime discussion.....although that is still cutting it close.

For what it's worth, below is from a Belichick interview on Boston.com when the rules changes were being proposed last season (March 2007):

On having communication with a defensive player through a helmet headset, like the quarterback:

"That was something brought up when the rule was initially proposed for the quarterback, giving the defense a way to communicate. The problem as I see it is that, on defense, it is an entirely different situation. When you have a backup quarterback, it's the same communication; fundamentally it's not going to change the way the game is played today.

"But defensively, if I'm a player and I have the headset, and now I'm out as part of a situational substitution or if I get hurt, what happens? We know that on offense, if the quarterback gets hurt, the backup QB comes in and will have that communication. But defensively, the team would then have no communication. And I think it's hard to have one guy in on every play.

"I wouldn't be in favor of this. There is an inequity in the rule and you don't know when that inequity will come. I also think we need to be careful about the concept of going to a 'Star Wars' mentality. I'm not so crazy about the coach-to-quarterback thing. Now this. That's why this wasn't passed in the first place, and was just an offensive thing, to help the offense get the play in, speed up the game, eliminate delay-of-game penalties, and make it easier for crowd noise. We've done that, but now this takes it to another level."

Edited by charty

Whatever....Not disputing the facts, just that I don't believe they are the only team that does this.

I highly doubt that it had any effect on the out come of this game though.....maybe future games when they identify certain hand signals for certain plays and blitzs.

No link but heard on Radio

Apparently this is a rule that has been long forgotten and never enforced. Godell said he'd be making sure certain rules were enforced this year. The Jets (who still haven't forgiven Belicheck for stepping down) made the league aware of what they suspected the Pats would do. Before the game the league had people checking the sidelines and verifying what cameras were filming what.

Ballsey by Belicheck to continue to do it if he knew they would be checking for it.

One easy solution would be to mic up the MLB and backup (just like the QB - Green Dot)......then all they'd need to worry about is the lip readers.

I'm sure Bill Polian will try to get the pick for himself, after all the Pats did this when they beat them all those times..... :D

OK, you must have missed this quote from Kerry Rhodes right after the game:

“It seemed like (Brady) knew what we were doing; it seemed like he made all the right checks,” Rhodes said. “I guess we’ve got to do a better job of hiding things.”

This is an integrity of the game issue. So, if someone robs a bank, it's OK for me to rob one too? Brilliant!

No, I don't think the Pats put up 38 points if the Jets knew what their defensive calls were going to be. Not to be confused with the fact that the Pats didn't need to cheat to win, they are the better team. They would have won without cheating.... but this does cast a shadow on their recent success, and that isn't even my opinion.... the guys on the NFL Network just brought it up.

Given the NBA scandal, all the other stuff in pro sports as of late.... I think the Pats are going to the shed, and the commish has a stick..... and he's right behind 'ol Billy B.

OK, you must have missed this quote from Kerry Rhodes right after the game:

“It seemed like (Brady) knew what we were doing; it seemed like he made all the right checks,” Rhodes said. “I guess we’ve got to do a better job of hiding things.”

This is an integrity of the game issue. So, if someone robs a bank, it's OK for me to rob one too? Brilliant!

No, I don't think the Pats put up 38 points if the Jets knew what their defensive calls were going to be. Not to be confused with the fact that the Pats didn't need to cheat to win, they are the better team. They would have won without cheating.... but this does cast a shadow on their recent success, and that isn't even my opinion.... the guys on the NFL Network just brought it up.

Given the NBA scandal, all the other stuff in pro sports as of late.... I think the Pats are going to the shed, and the commish has a stick..... and he's right behind 'ol Billy B.

I did see the quote....but guys say this type of thing all the time when they've been smoked. However it does have more meaning in light of the current charges and facts.

We'll see what the result is....again I find it tough to believe that they were the only team doing this or similar. I wonder if Kraft knew anything?

Edited by nhoops

I know what the implication was.....but there was taping involved.....not a direct broadcast. So the tapes would have to be analyzed along with pics/film of the play on the field.

Quite possible that tapes from the 1st Q were analyzed for halftime discussion.....although that is still cutting it close.

Although there was the line in the report about running too many frequencies for their communications during the game...so your theory may not hold water...but it may be correct too...don't dismiss this just yet.

now this is only a rumor from PFT... so take it for what its worth.

POSTED 8:34 p.m. EDT, September 11, 2007

WERE PATS WIRING DEFENSIVE PLAYERS, TOO?

The situation regarding the New England Patriots and the allegations/proof that they have stolen defensive signals is unofficially getting weirder.

The signal stealing flap is relevant only to defensive signals, since all offensive calls are made by radio.

But we're now aware of suspicions/rumors regarding efforts by the Pats to get a leg up as to opposing offenses. Specifically, we're told that it's believed that, during the 2006 season, the Patriots were putting microphones on defensive linemen in order to capture the offensive line calls and the quarterback audibles.

Then, the audio and the video of the game would be matched up, and the defensive players would be given the code at halftime.

While I would be loathe to defend the Patriots under any circumstances, I do think this needs to be taken in perspective. Every team in every sport tries to gain every advantage they can through whatever means possible. And anybody that thinks this kind of thing doesn't go on throughout the league on some level is just kidding themselves.

Granted, most teams might not go the extremes the Patriots seem to , but Belichick is obsessed with being the best at everything, even cheating.

Unfortunately he is not the best at avoiding getting caught.

Edited by rattsass

now this is only a rumor from PFT... so take it for what its worth.

POSTED 8:34 p.m. EDT, September 11, 2007

WERE PATS WIRING DEFENSIVE PLAYERS, TOO?

The situation regarding the New England Patriots and the allegations/proof that they have stolen defensive signals is unofficially getting weirder.

The signal stealing flap is relevant only to defensive signals, since all offensive calls are made by radio.

But we're now aware of suspicions/rumors regarding efforts by the Pats to get a leg up as to opposing offenses. Specifically, we're told that it's believed that, during the 2006 season, the Patriots were putting microphones on defensive linemen in order to capture the offensive line calls and the quarterback audibles.

Then, the audio and the video of the game would be matched up, and the defensive players would be given the code at halftime.

Since this is from PFT, it's probably baseless crap. And since this strategy failed miserably back in January, I'm almost positive that it's crap. :D

I'm sure all teams try to do this visually with eyes not with video cameras. the Fact that they have been caught twice is a total disregard to the rules. Taking away draft choices obviously is not working, so lets start making them forfeiti games that they get caught in, that might hit home a little harder. don't know if this has been brought up yet didn't read the whole thread.

:D:D:wacko::wacko: to all you haters look at the law (Hunter is a lawyer) you can use tecnology to put some druggy scumbag :wacko: in jail. So we're smarter than all of you "these r my sholddda ma pads) teams. suck it......yeah the jets d play call mattered Brady coulda got 2 more chicks pregnant in the time it took the jets to get to him. btw those chicks would be hotter than mine <----