[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL confiscates camera aimed at Jets bench

nhoops

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now this is only a rumor from PFT... so take it for what its worth.

POSTED 8:34 p.m. EDT, September 11, 2007

WERE PATS WIRING DEFENSIVE PLAYERS, TOO?

The situation regarding the New England Patriots and the allegations/proof that they have stolen defensive signals is unofficially getting weirder.

The signal stealing flap is relevant only to defensive signals, since all offensive calls are made by radio.

But we're now aware of suspicions/rumors regarding efforts by the Pats to get a leg up as to opposing offenses. Specifically, we're told that it's believed that, during the 2006 season, the Patriots were putting microphones on defensive linemen in order to capture the offensive line calls and the quarterback audibles.

Then, the audio and the video of the game would be matched up, and the defensive players would be given the code at halftime.

I feel like if I was coaching against Belichick, even before this story broke, I would have been changing my defensive signals at halftime. :D

Yeah, I was serious. :D

This whole story is overblown. If you don't want someone stealing signals, figure out a way to keep 'em guessing. This is such a non-story.

I heard from Clayton that they may lose a second round pick and a later pick.

Agree with all of the above. Hey if they broke the rules then I'll accept the punishment (fines, draft picks etc.) But they better hold every team to the same scrutiny.

+1

I've read (sorry, no link) that the Pats pulled the same shenanigans on the Packers a couple of years back. Also, "unnamed" GM's (so take it FWIW) in the same article complained that the Pats have done this for a while now.

I'm all for stealing signs and trying to get an edge, but to use a guy with a camara to do it? That's a little blatant, don't you think? Get someone with 20/5 vision (I think that is perfect?) and let them stare at the Jet coaches all game, read lips and such. To me, that is fine.

Truth be told, we got our arses handed to us...how much of a difference could this have made?

OK I was with you guys until here. Why would the Pats need to record signs from the PACKERS? Were they expecting to meet them in post-season play? :D

Joke about it all you want, but Kerry Rhodes was quoted as saying "It seemed like Brady knew what we were going to do on every play." This could get serious, in terms of what it might cost the Pats. Goddell doesn't hand slap, he beitch slaps, and 'ol Billy B is about to get the back of the Commishioner's hand big time. There are even rumors (which I don't put much stock in) of a forfiet....

Provide a link please....

A couple things here. If true, it's totally embarrassing as a Pats fan. I hope there's some reasonable explanation. To think how blatant it was doesn't seem Belichickesque.

For those saying forfeit, I hope you don't mind forfeiting your fantasy points from this game either.

One person in Green Bay said they saw and removed a Pats camera man. Between him, LT, and Mike friggin' Tomlin, who has one professionally coached game under his belt, there seems to be a lot piling on.

"It seemed like they knew what we were doing out there..." has been said many times, by many people in many different sports, so that doesn't mean a thing. It's as common as "They just wanted it more", but you can read into it what you will.

It doesn't look good at this point, and again, it's embarrassing and a total let down as a fan and a kick in our faces if true. This actually feels worse than last years AFC Championship loss to the Colts.

I watched "NFL Live" tonight and Mark Schleriff (I know I destroyed his last name), spoke about how the teams have photo shots taken of each play. If they had the signals before each play to coincide with the photo it would be a huge advantage. The teams could go over each play at halftime and be ready to react to that given coach's sign the rest of the game.

If that confiscated film shows filming of the opposing team's coaches giving signals, I honestly believe that New England should be given a loss and the NY Jets a win. Let them learn the hard way. Let it have an impact on the team they cheated on (again - if the film showed such cheating). I even wonder if the cameras have a magnifying lens that even if they didn't actually film the plays could they take notes on what each signn was on given numbered plays???

If the Pats captured the sideline signals by video, and capture the on-field audibles and adjustment calls via audio, and then combined first half data for halftime, they could make material halftime adjustments. NFL run time isn't exactly fast paced, so depending on their processing technology, media on many plays could be integrated in time for the half. If it was at that level of sophistication, I'd say that's enough of a competetive advantage to be cheating and warrant a significant penalty.

However, this is all hearsay at this point and the Pats success could be bringing out some sour grapes and excuse making on the part of their opponents. The NFL investigation will be interesting.

I'd also be interested in looking at the 1st half, 2nd half points differential for the Pats. If they had the ability to make better adjustments at halftime due to this alleged operation, the results should show in the data.

If I'm not mistaken, when the competition committee met during this past offseason, they put a special emphasis on not tolerating this kind of nonsense and warned teams adamently that they must comply or face severe punishment.

Appropriate penalty? NE forfeits the W to the Jets, and loses draft picks - maybe a 2nd & 3rd rounder.

Probable penalty? NE forfeits a high and a midround draft pick, gets fined substantially, & perhaps Belichek suspended a game.

OK, you must have missed this quote from Kerry Rhodes right after the game:

“It seemed like (Brady) knew what we were doing; it seemed like he made all the right checks,” Rhodes said. “I guess we’ve got to do a better job of hiding things.”

This is an integrity of the game issue. So, if someone robs a bank, it's OK for me to rob one too? Brilliant!

No, I don't think the Pats put up 38 points if the Jets knew what their defensive calls were going to be. Not to be confused with the fact that the Pats didn't need to cheat to win, they are the better team. They would have won without cheating.... but this does cast a shadow on their recent success, and that isn't even my opinion.... the guys on the NFL Network just brought it up.

Given the NBA scandal, all the other stuff in pro sports as of late.... I think the Pats are going to the shed, and the commish has a stick..... and he's right behind 'ol Billy B.

Tape was confiscated in the middle of the first quarter. If they hadn't taken it away and the Pats won the next game 38-14 then you might have a basis for this argument.

For what it's worth, below is from a Belichick interview on Boston.com when the rules changes were being proposed last season (March 2007):

On having communication with a defensive player through a helmet headset, like the quarterback:

"That was something brought up when the rule was initially proposed for the quarterback, giving the defense a way to communicate. The problem as I see it is that, on defense, it is an entirely different situation. When you have a backup quarterback, it's the same communication; fundamentally it's not going to change the way the game is played today.

"But defensively, if I'm a player and I have the headset, and now I'm out as part of a situational substitution or if I get hurt, what happens? We know that on offense, if the quarterback gets hurt, the backup QB comes in and will have that communication. But defensively, the team would then have no communication. And I think it's hard to have one guy in on every play.

"I wouldn't be in favor of this. There is an inequity in the rule and you don't know when that inequity will come. I also think we need to be careful about the concept of going to a 'Star Wars' mentality. I'm not so crazy about the coach-to-quarterback thing. Now this. That's why this wasn't passed in the first place, and was just an offensive thing, to help the offense get the play in, speed up the game, eliminate delay-of-game penalties, and make it easier for crowd noise. We've done that, but now this takes it to another level."

:D COVERUP! :D

I'm sorry but this is a HUGH(I'm learning) black flag over the Pat's organazation and it would seem "we hold our organazation" over mandated league rules. Now, after the summer meetings, and this topic being brought up as "very serious" and then for the Pat's to do it anyway....and so blatantly!!!!! I'm not a Pat fan but my truthfully felt "JEALOUSY" of the Pats is nowhere near what it was before this broke into NFL news. The truth can hurt sometimes, and NE fans-it looks like your team cheats on a grand scale.

For cheating in the NCAA, you forfeit games and lose scholarships. The NFL should be no different.

Godel needs to l take away the Pats 1st round pick, and give them a forfeit for this game. This would prevent other teams from doing this in the future. Anyone think Bill wasnt doing this in those super bowls. Can you imagine how hard it would be to get caught there with all the cameras flashing all the time.

All joking aside, the part that hurts my head is why the Patriots would do this. Especially against the Jets. The Pats are probably the most talented team on both sides of the ball, so why risk so much when the chances of you winning are strongly in your favor to begin with?

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Has the Media in sports today ruined "The Hero"? Years ago we never would have known this........The media is ruining the Dynasty,Hero's, etc.......Watching ESPN now, Is like watching world news or CNN..........Everyone bends the rules.....most just don't get caught..........For example everyone in this forum has broken the speed limit....Does that make you a cheater? It's a waste of good TV and Paper, Let's talk football........First Vick, Now This......who CARE"S...........If it's not between the lines on the field, I'm sick and tired of hearing about it! Blah, Blah,Blah Dogfighting,HGH,DUI Oh Yeah, Touchdown, Pat's Cheating,.........Maybe I'm just over re-acting?

Edited by IrishPride

Has the Media in sports today ruined "The Hero"? Years ago we never would have known this........The media is ruining the Dynasty,Hero's, etc.......Watching ESPN now, Is like watching world news or CNN..........Everyone bends the rules.....most just don't get caught..........For example everyone in this forum has broken the speed limit....Does that make you a cheater? It's a waste of good TV and Paper, Let's talk football........First Vick, Now This......who CARE"S...........If it's not between the lines on the field, I'm sick and tired of hearing about it! Blah, Blah,Blah Dogfighting,HGH,DUI Oh Yeah, Touchdown, Pat's Cheating,.........Maybe I'm just over re-acting?

I agree. While I don't condone the actions of these people. A lot of people here act like the guys are satan incarnate and other players are great people...when they know nothing about them or all the facts. People that don't actually do anything bad (T.O.) but sometimes can be annoying are also placed in the category as horrible people. People are really quick to judge.

I wonder if this is kind of like the situation involving Tigers pitcher Kenny Rogers last year. He was using pine tar to get a better grip on the ball which is against the rules. But, nobody said much about it since everyone does it.