[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is This Gross?

alexgaddis

To Eat leftovers From Co-Workers?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Is this Gross?

• Yes - Disgusting
    • No - Big Deal
    • Puddy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never do it. Even if it's not disgusting, the chances of you knockin' boots with the title ladies just went to zero.

As a married guy, his chances should be close to zero already, right?? On that path, I'd have a harder time explaining to the wife why I went to 'hang out' with the ladies than what leftovers I ate, esp. if this happens regularly.......

As a married guy, his chances should be close to zero already, right?? On that path, I'd have a harder time explaining to the wife why I went to 'hang out' with the ladies than what leftovers I ate, esp. if this happens regularly.......

trust :D

No computer or phones all morning, same with upstairs...only person in my office most of the day...

oddly enough, she didn't seem to care that I went up there yesterday...:D

Edited by alexgaddis

Speaking of trash, I found this in a 'Dumpster Diving etiquette' book on the internet...

II. Types of trash

The seasoned diver will find his head turning at a pile of trash on the side of the road much as if it were a pretty woman or a nice car. Residential trash is among the most varied, and often pretty useful too. Furniture, appliances, lamps, books, clothing are all common items. Of course, people don't tend to buy good things just to throw them out again, so it's typical that these items are not functioning to their fullest potential. This often either does not matter, or can be fixed with some creativity or a soldering iron in a few minutes. The other interesting part of residential trash is the weird stuff that people have in their closets that they finally decided to throw out. Among other things, I recall once finding an artificial scrotum with cancerated testicles inside, used to illustrate what testicular cancer feels like. It feels lumpy.

Food trash is such an excellent and plentiful source of dumpster diving glee that it is worthy of its own category. However, eating something from a dumpster is not something many would readily take part in, and the obvious reason behind this is that there is a lot of really gross food out there. You're not homeless. You're not out there to settle and take what you can get. If you have doubts about it, then don't take it. It's already trash anyways. The saying is: "use some sense, and use your senses." If it smells a little funky or has just a little too much squish to it, then let it be. With that out of the way though, there is still an abundance of food which can be consumed safely.

In the previous paragraph on diving deterrents, I mentioned razorwire fencing. In fact, the only dumpster I know of with razorwire around it is the dumpster behind the local Krispy Kreme doughnutery. And yes, razorwire is the same thing used to keep prisoners from escaping. That is how plentiful the doughnuts are. Places like Krispy Kreme and bakeries are such easy targets because an essential quality of the storebought baked good is freshness and hotness. Thus, day-old baked goods are trashed or given to homeless shelters. We have the option to stock up once a week from our local bakery, but often we have so many bagels, baguettes, focaccia, cinnamon buns, coffee rolls, and bread loaves from previous dives that it isn't necessary to stock up but once a month or every three weeks. Grocery stores which don't employ the use of compactors also sometimes have a selection of fruits or vegetables. You can usually find some good candy behind drug stores, frequently in large quantities. About the worst place to dive for food is an actual restaurant. There is really very little there except lettuce scraps, a really bad smell, and strange liquids.

The final trash type is that of offices and normal businesses. This is as varied as the residential, but doesn't tend to be as consistent, since businesses have significantly more papering and such to throw away. However, just because a business makes a certain product doesn't guarantee that you'll find that product in the dumpster. After a while you learn which businesses throw out what. I have a steady supply of zipties and cat 5 ethernet cable from the local satellite installation place. I use the zipties, and Georgia Tech students seem more than willing to buy the spools for $35 (or about 10-12c/foot). A gold bracelet, 16x2 character LCD screens, credit card numbers, recorded phone interviews, a gas station (there are gas pumps, signs, and gas flow computers sitting out behind a local business park) - these are all items I have found. I have not made use or recorded any of the credit card numbers, but it goes to show just what a range there is. I obviously tended towards more computer-type businesses, but just about every business has its own outside, accessible dumpster. There's bound to be something to please. About the only place I can think of where there is not bound to be something to please is at a hospital. I highly recommend that you never dive at a hospital.

The GF and I walked in to Chipotle once. We didn't know how to order. So we turned around and walked out. It's a confusing place.

another sign of soutern smarts ..

"jeepers woman whats them words on that there sign say?"

" um dont no cleatus cant read english all to well."