[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Update

Clubfoothead

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

OK here we go.

We went in on December 19th for another unltrsound with a neonatal cardiologist becsuae me wife's OB was concerned about the hole in the baby heart. One of the frustrating things is we have to keep letting her get older and develop more to get a handle on things. Short version is she has a severe case of what is called Tetralogy of Fallott. More info here if interested: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tetralogy...0615/DSECTION=1

The hole is so large that blood flows between the ventricles and oxygenated blood from the lungs mixed with unoxygenated blood going to the lungs. She will also have problems maintaining proper blood pressure. Her case is sever enough that without immediate surgery she will die without ever leaving the hospital. She will be transferred from Presbyterian Hospital to Medical City the day after she is born for her first surgery. She will spend her first two weeks of life in intensive care. When she's a year old they will do the second surgery to close the hole in her heart. Then when she's about 2 they may need to go in and repair or replace her pulmonic valve.

Not great but there's a 95% chance that everything is going to turn out fine and 10 years from now we will have to remind ourselves of these tough times. Of course you are bucking the odds just to find yourself in this position as there's over a 99% chance your kids will never develop this. I get that, I'm hoping my wife doesn't. Financially, our new insurance is kicking in 20% of the cardiologist's bills until the baby is born. We are probably financially ruined as the medical bills will easily approach 200k but that's for my family to deal with and we aren't going to be accepting anymore money. And I know everyone will be wishing us the best. On a positive note, I'm probably going to be making the playoffs in all my leagues so at least I will be able to play for free next year.

The casue of this is unknown, it lists some potential factors but none apply in our case and of course, there's no such thing as Gulf War Syndrome despite the fact this condition is found in significantly higher percentages in the children of Desert Storm vets. In the end, it doesn't really much matter what the cause is to us now, it's here and we will do what we have to do. Why is irrelevant for us.

Anyways, I had hoped to have better news in this update but things are what they are. I know many of you will feel compelled to do something - I know I always feel better when huddlers I know are facing trying times if there is something I can do to help. So, if you want to know what you can do for me, if the time comes and Thews' daughter needs some bone marrow, go get your blood tested knowing that if you are a match you will save her life.

Now, I've got to get a 4 year old ready for the Nieman Marcus Christmas Parade. Let's all have a good weekend.

That's tough news, Club. Hang in there. At least you have a handle on what needs to be done now.

One of my nephews has a genetic syndrome that includes heart issues. He had surgery as a newborn to repair a hole, and has had to have surgery to replace some valves later on. It's truly remarkable what they can do now, even compared to just 5 years ago.

:D

I'm sure the baby will be fine, but this whole money thing most be a dark cloud. Keep on keeping on. These things have a way of not being as bad as they seem in the long run.

What ACEO said. Your outlook is very positive and that's what is needed right now. We are all pulling for you and your family.

Not great but there's a 95% chance that everything is going to turn out fine and 10 years from now we will have to remind ourselves of these tough times.

This is where you focus. When anxiety and fear take over, this is where you focus. You'll be in my thoughts.

Not great but there's a 95% chance that everything is going to turn out fine and 10 years from now we will have to remind ourselves of these tough times.

This is very encouraging giving the circumstances

In the end, it doesn't really much matter what the cause is to us now, it's here and we will do what we have to do. Why is irrelevant for us.

I admire your outlook Club.

Good luck to your family.