[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It’s a beautiful day…fifteen

Thews40

So this weekend was uber cool. My daughter is now on day 15 of her marrow transplant. They blast her marrow with a hugh amount chemo (they put on suits when they give it to her), and after it’s over (given over 4 days), they give her a day off and then introduce the new bone marrow. The next trick is getting the new bone marrow to accept her while hers dies, which is why a perfect DNA match is so critical.

There are two types of transplants… one where they take your marrow out, zap it, kill the bad stuff you have in you, and then re-introduce your own marrow. My daughter had a marrow donor, and without it would have died within five months. God I’m so blessed… thank you all for the prayers. She gets the marrow, and once her counts start to come up they consider her “grafted”, as the new marrow is making white blood cells. They told us how long to wait, and everything was on schedule this week. Her counts Wed night…50, last small chemo blast and Thursday it’s back to zero. Friday zero.

Saturday morning, her counts came in at 200. This morning, her counts came in at 300 (a normal person is about 6 or 7 thousand) and is an indicator of her immune system rebuilding. My daughter is on the marrow ward which has specially filtered air, and I wear a gown and gloves every time I’m in her room, and I sleep there 4 times a week. The doctor said she was definitely “grafting” this morning and in a best case scenario could be released in just over a week. Best case, but he wouldn’t have said it if it weren’t feasible.

Today was a good day. My daughter isn’t out of the woods, but things are working out in a best case scenario so far… I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the prayers. The naysayers may not believe in them, but I do.

Mal’s friend stopped by just to say goodbye this morning. He wanted a picture with her, so she got all dressed and put a mask on. They went outside the room to take a picture. He’s a great kid and came in with both legs and went home with one. You’d never know it talking to him, because he’s got such a positive personality.

Mal also has a friend that’s a 22 year old Mexican woman. She has two kids, needs a transplant, and can’t find a donor. The Mexican population isn’t very well represented in the donor pool, which is sad for the % of the population they represent. I found out that new marrow harvesting only requires that they pump it out of you. Kinda like being put on a dialysis machine for a while. You go in, get two needles in the arm, and go home and that’s it. All it takes is a mouth swab, but people are afraid of being “tagged” so they won’t enter the donor pool. Anyway, my workplace has factories overseas and there’s a lot of potential donors that would better represent some minority races, or a mix. If there’s a mix of ethnicities, then it makes it even more difficult to match DNA. I hope they sponsor a marrow donor drive. How cool would it be to actually find someone that needs your DNA to live? Again, thank you for your prayers... happy Sunday, it's a beautiful day.

Glad to hear the positive progress Thews! :D Lets hope your daughter's immune system kicks it in high gear and gets those counts skylive high!

Did y'all know that uber (with an umlaut) means over? :wacko:

Um... I thought it was from "uber mutant" which was Doom #1's cheat code... seriously. I don't care really... today is a good day.

:wacko: Ah, the good ole days and Doom! A very good day indeed and I'm sure not much could derail it. I just thought I'd throw out a little trivia since that is what I thought of when I saw uber...:D