[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pretty Cool...

keggerz

will make a long story short...I ran into a fisherman yesterday that "caught" a Great Blue Heron in one of his fishing lines. Luckily, he said the hooks got caught up in his other line so he was able to cut them away but the Great Blue Heron was still tangled in his line down on the shore line in the trees. I called the Virginia Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries and they sent someone out to rescue the bird. The guy netted the bird and then secured his 9" long beak and carried him up the bank. I was the one that had to remove the fishing line from around the birds neck and body. Then the rescue guy said here "hold him here(top of his back) while I check to make sure there isnt any line in his wings. Well the bird didnt like that and started to squirm and make this god awful sound. The rescue guy said well thats a true prehistoric sound if you will ever hear one. He then said that Great Blue Herons sounds were used for the Veloci(sp?) Raptors in Jurasic Park. There wasnt any line in the birds wings and he seemed to be in good health so the resuce guy took him to the bank and carefully set him free. The bird immediately took flight and flew off down the river.

Pretty cool experience to help save such a beautiful bird...oh and the rescue guy said that the bird probably wouldnt be happy and their 9" beak is like a dagger and they tend to go right for your eyes :wacko: but luckily the bird was very easy for him to subdue and in the end all was well.

imagine if this was the long version :D

will make a long story short...I ran into a fisherman yesterday that "caught" a Great Blue Heron in one of his fishing lines. Luckily, he said the hooks got caught up in his other line so he was able to cut them away but the Great Blue Heron was still tangled in his line down on the shore line in the trees. I called the Virginia Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries and they sent someone out to rescue the bird. The guy netted the bird and then secured his 9" long beak and carried him up the bank. I was the one that had to remove the fishing line from around the birds neck and body. Then the rescue guy said here "hold him here(top of his back) while I check to make sure there isnt any line in his wings. Well the bird didnt like that and started to squirm and make this god awful sound. The rescue guy said well thats a true prehistoric sound if you will ever hear one. He then said that Great Blue Herons sounds were used for the Veloci(sp?) Raptors in Jurasic Park. There wasnt any line in the birds wings and he seemed to be in good health so the resuce guy took him to the bank and carefully set him free. The bird immediately took flight and flew off down the river.

Pretty cool experience to help save such a beautiful bird...oh and the rescue guy said that the bird probably wouldnt be happy and their 9" beak is like a dagger and they tend to go right for your eyes :wacko: but luckily the bird was very easy for him to subdue and in the end all was well.

imagine if this was the long version :D

Cool story :D

Nature...........Goulet !!!

Edited by Menudo

We have one by the pond. It will sit there patiently waiting for a fish to swim by and then it's lightning quick. These are fascinating birds to watch. It would be cool to handle one. That thing will keek yer ass though.

Sometimes at night when spooked they sound like a woman screaming... at least that is what I tell the neighbors/police. :wacko:

We have quite a few out here, they are majestic birds, and they can crap a pitchers worth of hot, white stinky mess that carp love to suckle.

• 7 months later...
Cool... to bad nobody had a camera. That would have been cool to capture close up.

well it isnt exactly the same as if I could have taken an up close and personal pic like I could have that day but this will have to do....I would say he is about 30 yards from me when I took the picture....I also think this is probably the same GBH...he is in this cove every day and when he flies off it is always around and to the right...which is where the fisherman was....Guess its as good a chance as any that its the same guy/gal.

these 2 are from a few days ago and the light was really poor so I had to amp up the ISO and

that hurt the image quality...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3146/307809...256edd6f4_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3226/307809...2e2659e04_b.jpg

these two shots are from around the side and had to be shot thru trees...probably about the same distance:

this one is the uncropped pic http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/307893...04d2b508e_b.jpg

this is the cropped one of the above pic http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3055/307893...e957c1a5b_o.jpg

not the best pic but as you can see he does have dinner...and these last 2 were taken today and as you can see

he was hiding on the other side of the beach

if anyone wants to look at any of the other shots I have taken lately: http://flickr.com/photos/mistergman/

cool story keggerz and you done real wel with those shots too!

did you have your camera with you when you were helping untangle the bird?

if so, that must have killed ya to not be able to take pix.

nope, I didnt have it with me :wacko:

Now I try to bring it with me whenever I can...just in case....i missed out on a Red Tailed Hawk that was having lunch for like

20 mins or so and he let me get about 15' from him to watch while he ate...would have been unbelievable photos

Edited by keggerz

The rescue guy said well thats a true prehistoric sound if you will ever hear one. He then said that Great Blue Herons sounds were used for the Veloci(sp?) Raptors in Jurasic Park.

I taught my soon to be 3 year-old to call them "dinosaur birds" (which he can pronounce a lot better than pterodactyl)

(Also, for your amusement, I will admit that I had a hell of time spelling "pterodactyl". It was so bad that even after about 10 attempts I still couldn't google to spit out a correct "Did you mean" spelling. Finally I just resorted to finding out how to correctly spell it by searching for "flying dinosaur".) :wacko: