[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who is the most overrated rock band of all time?

millerx

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruh roh, the Grateful Dead bashing is not going to go over very well with somebody, me thinks.

I've been giving everyone here a pass on bashing the Dead because I've heard some of the most god awful stuff come out of them and then at times they can be so transcendant. Somewhere in between lies what most of you don't like about them. The not quite so anything blend of musical stylings and a fanatic following that has created/kept alive/fostered a musical sub-culture within this country.

However, since you bring it up, the Dead were never hyped to the extent of most of the other bands in this thread. They had a handful of songs with commercial success over the 30 years they existed. Their phenomenon came about precisely because they were the under-hyped counter-culture. It's their fans and their following that created this, way more so than any conscious effort on the part of music companies and radio stations.

It's hard to argue that a band that has had limited commercial success yet continued to get bigger throughout their 30 year career virtually through word of mouth as overrated.

yeah, the crop of crappy, generic hair bands nobody pays any heed because everyone know they basically suck. you know, the bands you were dismissing two posts ago as too lame to be overrated. :wacko:

Not too many of the players that copied Eddie could pull of how Authentic and good he was. The fact that a generation of Guitar players ripped the guy off still says something about the guy . Some of the players that adapted his style were very good guitar players playing bad music in bad bands. Seinfeld was an innovative sitcom that gave birth to a million knock offs . Does the fact that 90% of the knock offs couldnt pull it off lessen the accomplishments of Seinfeld ?

What's funny is while I agree with a lot of the bands being mentioned it still doesn't stop me from liking their music. I've always been a big fan of U2, Dave Mathews Band, Coldplay, Rolling Stones & many others mentioned. I know that most of the time their music doesn't necessarily deserve the attention it gets, but I love it regardless because I enjoy their sound. I find it a shame that some people can't enjoy a lot of the more popular mainstream bands because they have refined their tastes too much and have basically (no offense intended) become music snobs. It's like getting yourself so much into micro brews that you can't enjoy it when your buddy comes by with a case of Miller in hand.

I understand why the Beatles were so popular, the time, the world situation, the evolving "new liberalism' and free love, drugs, the 60s". But personally, I never "got it". There are very few of their songs I ever really liked and they have a large body of work to choose from. None of their songs would be in my own personal top 20. AND, I know how many albums they sold, blah, blah, blah.

I think they were more social icons as opposed to musical icons. JMHO :wacko:

+1. unlistenable as far as I'm concerned.

What's funny is while I agree with a lot of the bands being mentioned it still doesn't stop me from liking their music. I've always been a big fan of U2, Dave Mathews Band, Coldplay, Rolling Stones & many others mentioned. I know that most of the time their music doesn't necessarily deserve the attention it gets, but I love it regardless because I enjoy their sound.

I pretty much agree with that. if U2 comes on the radio, I am more likely to turn it up and sing along than I am to change the station. I just think they are vastly overrated by a lot of people. however, if I hear rush, the question is whether I can change the station before I begin projectile vomiting. :wacko:

I find it a shame that some people can't enjoy a lot of the more popular mainstream bands because they have refined their tastes too much and have basically (no offense intended) become music snobs. It's like getting yourself so much into micro brews that you can't enjoy it when your buddy comes by with a case of Miller in hand.

well, miller sucks, but then again free beer is obviously the best kind of all.

Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin

Hendrix version of the star spangled banner is noise.

Joplin cant carry a tune.

The Rock Gods are going to banish you to an eternity of listening to Barry Manilow for that comment.... :wacko:

As for the topic.....

Any Punk Rock Band, period.

But I always thought that The Who, Kiss, and the Doors were way overrated :D

What's funny is while I agree with a lot of the bands being mentioned it still doesn't stop me from liking their music. I've always been a big fan of U2, Dave Mathews Band, Coldplay, Rolling Stones & many others mentioned. I know that most of the time their music doesn't necessarily deserve the attention it gets, but I love it regardless because I enjoy their sound. I find it a shame that some people can't enjoy a lot of the more popular mainstream bands because they have refined their tastes too much and have basically (no offense intended) become music snobs. It's like getting yourself so much into micro brews that you can't enjoy it when your buddy comes by with a case of Miller in hand.

But miller has no flavor. A real buddy wouldn't come by with a case of miller.

I pretty much agree with that. if U2 comes on the radio, I am more likely to turn it up and sing along than I am to change the station. I just think they are vastly overrated by a lot of people. however, if I hear rush, the question is whether I can change the station before I begin projectile vomiting. :D

well, miller sucks, but then again free beer is obviously the best kind of all.

I like some Rush too. :wacko:

The only reason you don't like their music is that you don't understand it. By insulting them, you insult yourself.

:wacko: Well, it's true that they frighten me. Their acute lack of angst is puzzling and a bit creepy. It's like watching a circus clown... you have a chuckle at their goofball antics, but deep down you know somthing evil is smoldering.

Kiss, while maybe not the most musically gifted individually, put on one hell of a show, so I gotta give them some props. Perhaps is was all a commerical act of genius, but for a few years, they dominated the live concert scene.

Exactly...KISS was never really that hung up on their music, most of the members of the band have even said it's not that great really. But if you've ever been in the front row for a live show back in their heyday in the late 70's, there's no f'n way you can ever think of them as over-rated. They put on one of the best rock-n-roll shows ever...

Got to agree with U2 and Springsteen...I just turn the dial when either of their stuff comes up.

Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin...obviously fishing. If not, here's a quarter...

And with Rush, you've obviously never been to one of their concerts if you think they are over-rated. To watch Geddy Lee play 3-4 different instruments at the same time while singing is one of the greatest performances of our time...truly amazing how his brain can coordinate all that, especially with all the different time signatures they use...

I like some Rush too. :wacko:

No reason for shame there - Rush is great. If one likes anything about rock, they should appreciate Rush for the reason Tim lists below.

Neil Peart, the drummer for Rush, is the best person to bang two sticks together since Oog did it 5,998 years ago.

Wurd. I played the drums for a long time - Peart is my hero.

Got to agree with U2 and Springsteen...I just turn the dial when either of their stuff comes up.

Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin...obviously fishing. If not, here's a quarter...

And with Rush, you've obviously never been to one of their concerts if you think they are over-rated. To watch Geddy Lee play 3-4 different instruments at the same time while singing is one of the greatest performances of our time...truly amazing how his brain can coordinate all that, especially with all the different time signatures they use...

I saw Rush back in the 70's and I must say that Alex Lifeson is one of the best guitarists I've seen. Also, Neal Peart is one of the best drummers I've seen. Geddy Lee is a good bass player too. Their show rocked.

But on the radio, Lee's voice is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. Unlistenable.

But on the radio, Lee's voice is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. Unlistenable.

The later stuff, after Moving Pictures, I would agree with this...and if the song 'Trees' comes on the radio I immediately turn it off...the earliest stuff though, like Caress of Steel, 2112, etc...is too great to diss

The later stuff, after Moving Pictures, I would agree with this...and if the song 'Trees' comes on the radio I immediately turn it off...the earliest stuff though, like Caress of Steel, 2112, etc...is too great to diss

:wacko:

After Moving Pictures, I can prolly count the songs I like by Rush on one hand. Their newer stuff blows.