[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sealing the blacktop driveway

muck

Apparently my driveway needs to be sealed.

We bought our place last summer and didn't treat it. We find out this spring that the folks that we bought it from probably didn't do an sealing during the three-ish years they lived here.

I've never sealed anything like this ... it's long (maybe 200 linear feet of driveway; 2000 sft?) and I'm thinking of hiring it out vs. doing it myself.

Anyone have any tips / suggestions?

...I'm completely at a loss...

I know nothing at all about sealing driveways ... but have always firmly believed that whatever the task at hand may be::

1] if I don't know how to do it myself and ...

2] ... can't afford to hire someone that does know how to do it for me ...

... then the task at hand is not as important as originally thought, and really does not need to be done at all.

Not sure if that really helps you at the moment, but it's a philosophy to be pondered while you have a few beers & stare at the driveway.

Edited by ts

I know nothing at all about sealing driveways ... but have always firmly believed that whatever the task at hand may be::

1] if I don't know how to do it myself and ...

2] ... can't afford to hire someone that does know how to do it for me ...

... then the task at hand is not as important as originally thought, and really does not need to be done at all.

Not sure if that really helps you at the moment, but it's a philosophy to be pondered while you have a few beers & stare at the driveway.

I hope that you:

1) Either are a very knowledgable person about doing repairs, or........

2) Have a lot of money.

Otherwise, I would hate to see your house. :wacko:

That Lowes link is pretty solid info IMO.

It's a tough job. I did my driveway that is about 75x20 tapering to x15 in a about 1.5 days by myself. The key, as with most things, is preparation and materials. If you have cracks, you should get some crack filler (you use a caulk gun to dispense black tar into the cracks). If you have holes, they make a patch for that, but IIRC you have to wait a couple months before sealing it. You need to edge around the blacktop to be sure and expose a bit of the sides of the existing stuff. No grass, leaves, dirt, etc. on the surface. Spray it all down with a hose the day before.

When you go to Lowes/Home Depot for the sealer, you'll probably be presented with something like a 3, 5, or 7 year grade sealer. I chose the 5, but wish I had done the 7. The difference was the 5 you had to stir (and keep stirring), which is a biotch, and the 7 you didn't. The catch was you would need more of the 7 and it was more expensive. But it would have saved quite a bit of time and my back.

Remember, you can't drive on it for 24 hours.

2 other tips.

. Buy at least one more container than you think you need, and probably two. You can always return it at your lesiure, but going back to the store for more in the middle of the project is a bummer.

. Buy at least one extra broom spreader and an extra handle. They are cheap and will break on you. On the off chance they don't break, you can return them too.

ETA: Oh, don't believe the claimed square footage on the sealer container unless you have a really smooth surface. I had a driveway in pretty good shape, and got maybe 60% of the claimed coverage. IIRC, I spent about $250 on all materials combined.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

I'm busy that day. I've seen your driveway. :wacko:

I know! I may be busy that day, too! :bshock:

This is why I'll be getting some bids this week...it'll be a big project that will be need to be done in one weekend and my body won't like it AT ALL...

I know! I may be busy that day, too! :bshock:

This is why I'll be getting some bids this week...it'll be a big project that will be need to be done in one weekend and my body won't like it AT ALL...

Wise choice.

I'm a do it your selfer,and the cost-effort to do MY driveway just isn't worth it.I wouldn't save all that much to put two coats down as it would cost to have it done.

I did mine a couple of years ago. It is stright forward to do with the stuff from Lowes, but it is very hard the first time. If you can afford to hire someone, let them do it. After the first time, your driveway will have a smooth texture to it and if you want to re-seal it every 3-5 years, then it is much easier the second time around.

I am a do it yourselfer too. I needed to put sand under my house and refused to pay the $2000 bids I got. When I finishd 3 days after starting I literally could not move my left arm. I was in so much pain I could not sleep. After getting a shot in the arm and meds I got relief. It took 6 months to get right. I still have a little twinge now and then, enough to remind me of my foolishness. :wacko:

I am a do it yourselfer too. I needed to put sand under my house and refused to pay the $2000 bids I got. When I finishd 3 days after starting I literally could not move my left arm. I was in so much pain I could not sleep. After getting a shot in the arm and meds I got relief. It took 6 months to get right. I still have a little twinge now and then, enough to remind me of my foolishness. :D

If you use your other hand sometimes it spreads out the stress. Plus it feels like a stranger is doing it. :wacko:

As CD can attest, I'm a bit of a do-it-yourselfer (trim all amy own trees, installed hardwood floors, built a flagstone patio, etc.), but for some reason, this is something I am just NOT interested in doing.

We'll see where the bids come in at...thanks.

I sealed and asphalted for a living while un undergrad. I will tell you right now, HIRE someone!!!!!! The lack of having to clean up the mess alone will be worth your while. Now there are spray trucks and professionals have their own gear. Once you get sealant on something, clothes, tools, etc. IT'S RUINED!!!!! You also have the possibility of getting your skin very irritated on your face if you don't stay out of the chemical arc that sealant creates when it hits the asphalt. In short, hire someone!

First bid came in:

Seal the drive way = $X

Demo the top layer of asphalt and relay a fresh 4" thick layer of new asphalt = $X * 1.5

...doing it myself w/ supplies, etc...and putting no value on my time or health = $X * 20%...

...I'm seriously thinking about doing the fresh asphalt...

Not in the way drivways are, though crackes are often filled in and concrete bridge decks are somtimes epoxy-sealed at a later date.

I hope mine doesn't fall to pieces then. The guy did a good job on it. I didn't go through the builder like a couple of others did...thankfully. The guy that the builder got to do them didn't even smooth out the driveway first. He just laid asphalt over the humps and bumps. My guy took his time and even the asphalt looks blacker. I'm not going to seal mine.

Edited by TimC