[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need some help with a major project...

Ziachild007

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be happy to donate some funds. If everyone here on the huddle would just throw out 20 bucks each( thats 3 beers at a ballgame) thats over 350K. I would have to think that would put your family in a very good atmosphere.

Buck up brothers and lets help as we can.

I gotta tell you my eyes got real watery reading about the situation you have. Fellas, we cant take the money with us...so lets reach deep and help as we can. :wacko:

The Huddle is always the best first place to start. Some can help you plan, others can help you execute, but most (if not all) can help you with moral support, prayers, and sometimes funds.

If I were you, I would also take the time to find out some mailiing addresses of celebrities who are known for their generosity. Hand write each of them a letter, include a photo, and ask if they would be willing to help you out. You'd be VERY surprised at what kind of response you might get. Many will throw your letter away of course, but it only takes one or two people with a lot of money and big hearts to really get things moving.

Sounds like the first thing to do is make that place safe to live in. Roof leaks and electrical wiring problems don't sound too good. If you decide to set up some kind of donation fund, I'll be happy to give, just like many of the Huddlers.

Best wishes, and good luck. You will be fine, and it sounds like you are off to a great start!

wow....never knew the extent of what was going on for your family.. very sorry for your circumstance and my kudos for your endurance and resiliency. my first thoughts were HFH and other such charities. as someone mentioned, some big business (and very wealthy individuals) look for feel good, philanthropic causes. shoot! you might even want to contact an Oprah type shows to see if they might have a list of such organizations :wacko:

my thoughts are with you and i wish you guys the best

First of all I didn't get thru half the posts w/o maxing out the limit. So here goes (and it may have already been said):

Prayers and good vibes sent...... You get something setup, let me know where to send the check....

+1 I'm there.

Sounds like a job for Extreme Makeover --- Home Edition. Would be a heckuva challenge for them, as I don't think they have EVER taken on a trailer. I think you might have a real shot. Do you have a video camera?

Let us know how we can help.

This seems like a great idea! One of the few decorating shows my wife doesn't watch much, but after talking to her she says you have a great case. Plus, you have 100's of Huddlers waiting/willing to send support, if that's possible, to the show. Keep us apprised of how their "system" works.

When it storms out that way I always worry about your sister. Needless to say, I'm thrilled to hear they all made it through the storm.

I'm not an idea guy but I've got tools and a van that can get me there in a moment's notice. I don't have any time off from work since I've missed two months this year with my daughter's heart problems but I can be there by 5:00 am Saturday. I wasn an IC electrician in the Navy and have done plenty of repairs on mobile homes.

I'll rack my brain all day and if you want, I can meet you at their house Saturday morning and we can fix the place up while you try and figure out the next step.

Jeez......Clubby, your plate is so full, and you can still make that offer??? :wacko::D to you my friend! :D

Dam man, I have to meet you before I kick! :D

To be honest, my younger sister who is helping me with this has downloaded the online application and is working on that part of it now. Since I live close to my mom, I am going to try and get the necessary photos and videos this week, hopefully tonight if possible.

Only thing I am not sure about, like Cre8tiff said, I am not sure if or how they would handle a mobile home.

Just let us know if emails, snail mails, letters, or phone calls can help.

you might also consider applying on their behalf to habitat for humanity

good luck with all of this, zia :D

My Bro has done a lot of work w/ HFH, thru Exxon. Donating his time, swingin' a hammer, etc.. He is still w/o power and phone (Houston), but once he's back to normal, I'll call him and see if he has any ideas/inroads.

Zia,

Hearing that someone ( your family) is pouring their minimal resources into a project like this brings a tear to my eye. But this is the Huddler spirit!

You have a lot of friends here (I among them) who are willing to do what they can to realize your dream. Family! Nothing more important to me and obviously you! I :D to that!

If there is ANYTHING I can do, please let me know. And I mean anything!

God bless you and your family. Prayers are sent.

The Huddlers won't let you down, I guarantee!

Peace!

Tom Robin

talked to my Bro about HFH. He said just apply. Mind you he's more on the hammer swinging end (volunteering) than the admin side.

He also said it depends a lot on how active HFH is in your area.

Not sure if that helps, but God Bless!

Peace

Tom Robin

Billy,

You know you have my support...if I can think of anything or turn up any leads I will let you know.

I have no doubt that thehuddle will turn this into a mission to help you and your family because that is what we do.

I know we have never met but I do consider you one of my best friends.

Sincerely,

Steve

PS If you decide to do some sort of fund raising thing I still have contacts in China if we need to make some sort of custom plush or whatever.

I think that is an asset, not a liability. The things that drive ratings for them is the "Oh my god, how did they do that?" factor. GOing from a mobile home to an actual house would be a great ratings move.

And your story is extremely compelling.

My sister found this and this. Looks like they have done a mobile before.

BTW, altough we would love to be able to do something like the EMO or celebrity philanthropy, we certainly dont want to count on that as the only options. The HFH deal looks to be something that might be possible, but I am still reading the fine print. One thing about that thought is you still have to buy the house from HTH, just at a reduced price (I believe most of the labor and materials are donated). So any ideas for a fundraiser or benfit deal would still help out.

I would love to continue to hear any other ideas you all may come up with, too. I showed this thread to my wife and sister last night and they were both amazed with what an awesome place we have here. You folks are great!!! :wacko:

Edited by Ziachild007

Sounds like a job for Extreme Makeover --- Home Edition. Would be a heckuva challenge for them, as I don't think they have EVER taken on a trailer. I think you might have a real shot. Do you have a video camera?

Let us know how we can help.

what about a petition that we can send around to all huddles to accompany the application for EM or whatever show or service....a little story about our community....how in the past we have come together to help people out but this one is beyond what we can do without their help etc etc....maybe even can mention MSHB and what some did for other huddlers during Katrina

just an thought is all

Zia -

I know from experience that if you go to Lowes and Home Depot and asked to speak with a manager and explain the situation, they will donate material to you. Several of my Autism and FX parents have done this with building or renovating a room for OT. The Home Depot up in Pasadena, Md donated $2,000 [edit] in material [/edit]to my friend Melanie so she could convert and build a room for her son.

Believe it or not, these type of large corporations do this a lot. Granted it benefits them with taxes but still a solid gain for the person.

Edited by cliaz

If all else fails(I don't see it happening with this group though), we can all send donations for supplies to build your own house. Hell, we have Huddlers here in all walks of life. Contractors, electricians, drywall, etc. so why not? I'd be there in a heartbeat to hammer a few nails and do what is necessary. Is there a way to set up a fund there locally? If people hear this story and have any kind of heart, they'll be ready to throw donations your way. If we could some how get the supplies together and can figure out a time where most of the Huddlers can get together, we can do this!

If the Amish can build thier own houses, we can too! Just a thought, although I'm on board for whatever the group decides.

ETA- :wacko: Zia for being the ultimate brother and son!

Edited by jaxfactor

Can't speak for everyone but at least 1 of the MSHB crew would be happy to be part of a TXHB crew.

I've worked on several habitat houses. They are a great organization. You won't get a house for free so some type of income would be needed.

For fundraising I would consider starting something official like a foundation, etc and setting up a website. Then begin advertising locally and nationally through whatever means possible. The key here is to have a well laid out plan of how much you want to raise and exactly how it will be used. Someone else will have to help with the details of setting that up but if you need someone to come put in some drywall I'm ready, willing, and able.

Z.... sorry to hear about the difficulties, but from our private conversations.... your first call should be to your church, speak to the pastor, or even the bishop and then Catholic Charities. Catholic Charities does some really great stuff, and of course, these are the things that no one ever hears about, but this is right up their alley. I've seen some things they have done first hand... and they help people in just your type of situtation.

They may even be able to advise you on how to set up a charity fund specifically for your sister, aside from the other help they can offer. They can organize things like regional church collections, find funds for repairs, and have voluteers willing to work too. It's certainly worth a shot. I know they pay for home health care aids, food, and other things... the circumstances surrounding your sister are core value issues in the church. They will help, but you have to ask for it. Understand, every parrish is different, and so is the pastor. They are humans, with faults... if you get a negative response from your local parrish, do not stop there... there are other avenues. The Knights of Columbus, and other connected organizations can often provide help in various forms.

PM me if I can help.... and hang in there.

what about a petition that we can send around to all huddles to accompany the application for EM or whatever show or service....a little story about our community....how in the past we have come together to help people out but this one is beyond what we can do without their help etc etc....maybe even can mention MSHB and what some did for other huddlers during Katrina

just an thought is all

I had this exact same thought this morning. Let's send off a bunch of emails with our story and ask that they please consider our Friends application. The show is a business and the internet community idea of strangers helping other strangers might peak their interest. Heck maybe a bunch of us could get on TV :wacko:

I had this exact same thought this morning. Let's send off a bunch of emails with our story and ask that they please consider our Friends application. The show is a business and the internet community idea of strangers helping other strangers might peak their interest. Heck maybe a bunch of us could get on TV :wacko:

Before inundating them with emails that could get lost in transit, etc... let me get a hold of my "contact" with the show, and I'll mention that we have a hugh "petition" type of thing.

E2A: I just emailed the show. Hopefully they'll get me in tough with Paige Hemmis, who is the blonde on the show. Went to college with her.

Edited by darin3

Jack of all trades, master of none, and will travel. If you find that you ultimately end up building a house, I'm sure I could become quite a help. I've got about two months of vacation lined up anyhow. Personally I think the fundraiser way is a lot more practical than trying to get on a tv show, but with the right hookups, wow, what a dream come true that would be if you could land one. I would bet huddlers alone would be willing to donate enough to at least make a dent. I like the website idea. Also, I would try to get on a few local radio stations. If you come up with a website or something along those lines, I will certainly try to use my connections and get your story on a few places in local radio in Seattle. Best of luck, and YOU CAN DO THIS.

I don't typically frequent the Tailgate, so get a hold of me via PM if I can help in any way.

I see you live in TX, like me, and people are always willing to give. You could set up a bank account in her name for donations, people in TX love to give to these. (I see them all the time here in east TX). If you belong to a church, they could also help, fundraisers, hospice, etc.... For what it's worth, I lost my younger sister to suicide, and there isn't anyhing I wouln't do to have her here on this earth with me no matter what her condition. I really respect your care and concern for your family. Many families could care less about one another and it's sad. I'll pray for you.

I see you live in TX, like me, and people are always willing to give. You could set up a bank account in her name for donations, people in TX love to give to these. (I see them all the time here in east TX). If you belong to a church, they could also help, fundraisers, hospice, etc.... For what it's worth, I lost my younger sister to suicide, and there isn't anyhing I wouln't do to have her here on this earth with me no matter what her condition. I really respect your care and concern for your family. Many families could care less about one another and it's sad. I'll pray for you.

I think you live really close to one another, actually....

OK Huddlers...it's time to come together the way this community can. I have set up a PayPal account and will collect any donations made for this great cause. Billy is choosing to take on an enormous and admirable task...and for that, he deserves our help. He's already got our respect.

Please PayPal any contributions you wish to my Bubba Helps charitable account. Email address is: rob1121 AT yahoo.com

Thank you all in advance...we really can make a difference.