[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Small things you can do to save money

whomper

With the big crunch the country is in I was thinking about things in our everyday life we can probably do without and how they all add up. I bet if we listed things we would be surprised at the results.

I usually have 3 cups of coffee a day and I buy them all in NYC at 1.00 a cup. The first cup of the day is essential and I would give up a pinkie before I gave that up but if I gave up the other 2 5 days a week 52 weeks a year I would save 520 a year.

What things like that could you eliminate to hold on to your cash ?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quit smoking: $4.50 x 365 = $1642

pack lunch instead of buy: net saving of maybe $3 per day x 5 days x 50 weeks = $750

reduce our restaurant dinner dependence from 2 days to 1 per week : net effect probably $15-20 x 52 weeks = $780-1040

man, that could easily put around $3K in my pocket yearly.

multiply that by 16 years, and thats $48K....probably 2-3 years of college for my youngest kid.

Since I'm not a coffee drinker I've always had a Full Throttle Fury at the QT each morning. They usually run $2.99. I stopped drinking them about two months back.

5 days x 52 weeks = 260 days x $2.99 = $777.40 worth of Full Throttle a year

Other cost saving things we've done.

Dropped NetFlix

Dropped HBO, CineMax and Starz (Kept Showtime for Dexter)

Dropped private cellphones for landline bundled with Comcast (Which actually made our Comcast bill cheaper)

Started telecommuting to work 2 days a week. (Huge saver on gas and lunches)

Only eat out as a family once a month. (Previously we would eat out at least twice a week.)

Started shopping at Target for childrens clothes instead of Gap for Kids.

Stopped grocery shopping at WholeFoods and switched to Kroger/Publix.

In all we trimmed just over $1000 off our monthly budget.

I'm the same with pop throughout the day. I need the first one to feed my caffeine addiction, but could and should cut out the rest. I spend about $75 a month just on pop alone. That's $900 for the year. :wacko:

We need to be smarter about how we buy groceries too. If we just planned our meals for the week, and shopped for those meals, we could save a ton of money I'm sure.

We need to be smarter about how we buy groceries too. If we just planned our meals for the week, and shopped for those meals, we could save a ton of money I'm sure.

That is exactly what my wife has done. She makes weekly dinner menus and posts them on the fridge. She makes very accurate grocery lists to prepare these meals and then sticks to the list. For a family of 5 we use to spend around $2000 a month on groceries. We have that down to around $1200 now.

Dropped HBO, CineMax and Starz (Kept Showtime for Dexter)

:wacko:

We dropped Showtime, even with us being big Weeds and Dexter fans. We'll just get the seasons' DVDs via Netflix. Gotta keep Netflix.

I work from home, but have wanted to go out to do some research on my own which would require me driving around the Austin area. With gas prices where they are, I've held back from doing this.

With the big crunch the country is in I was thinking about things in our everyday life we can probably do without and how they all add up. I bet if we listed things we would be surprised at the results.

I usually have 3 cups of coffee a day and I buy them all in NYC at 1.00 a cup. The first cup of the day is essential and I would give up a pinkie before I gave that up but if I gave up the other 2 5 days a week 52 weeks a year I would save 520 a year.

What things like that could you eliminate to hold on to your cash ?

You could get an automatic coffee maker and a thermos. Set it up at night and fill the thermos in the AM. That would save another $260.

You could get an automatic coffee maker and a thermos. Set it up at night and fill the thermos in the AM. That would save another $260.

That's what my wife does. She NEVER buys coffee... well, very, very rarely. If we're on the road to Louisiana she may have a cup if we stop for fast food... but she's religious about setting up the coffeemaker the night before, setting it to start brewing while she's getting ready for work, and having the Thermos ready to go for her short commute. She can't operate without coffee.

I dumped my lawn service and now have two boys who live in my house take care of the lawn: approximate savings = $1200/year

I dumped exterminating service and do this myself: approximate savings = $850

I have a dog. I no longer have an active alarm system. I still have the alarm signs out: approximate savings = $1000 per year

I always pack a lunch.

We shop much more at BJ's and even Wal-Mart.

Eating out has decreased to about once every two weeks.

I've had a spreadsheet to keep track of my bills, etc. since around 2002. It is great to compare year to year on electric, gas, etc. I've really whittled away at keeping the bills down. I am an electricity nazi as that is about the only bill that fluctuates to any degree. I'm on the time of use plan and ensure that I use my programmable thermostat wisely. For the bills, I'm pretty lean.

My credit card gets paid off every month. This, however, doesn't mean I spend less, so I need to take another look at that. I know Dave Ramsey says to pay everything with cash since when you use a credit card, it isn't felt quite the same (even if you pay it off every month). While I like to use my AMEX for just about everything so I get cash back, I think I probably spend more.

I do buy my Diet Dews by the 12 pack when they are on sale so I usually get either 4 or 5 of them at a time at about $2.50 each. I bring a couple to work every morning when I'm in the office. I need to cut back on eating out with the guys at work. Lately I've been going home and heating up food that I have so I can at least get out of the office instead of just heating it up there.