[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any bricklayers here?

TimC

I'm hearing the economy is really hurting these guys nowadays? I was hoping to get a halfway decent deal on enclosing my porch. I screwed up when I built and completely forget about this part. The builder wanted to put in a concrete porch which would've closed it in, but I was deadset against all that concrete. The neighbor's is already cracked to hell. I was going to do the lattice this spring, but would rather have it bricked up. I could do the lattice myself (I already did it across the back porch), but was wondering about a guesstimate price to compare it with.

Here's a pic of the left side...much shorter (oh, and there is landscaping and pavement now)

Now comes the problem...the other side. This is about 6 feet high.

I don't want to waste the brick guy's time if he gonna say it's like $10k. I'm hoping to swing like $2k maybe? I don't know.

Timmer......the brick alone is going to cost you at least 2K.

I dunno......the brick columns look so elegant. It would be a shame to have them "disappear" by bricking the whole thing. But you're right.....that's way too much lattice to be very pretty. How about something along the lines of a vertical tongue and groove southern yellow pine? If you prefer to have something maintenance-free.....look for a composite material.

Just seems like going this route, you'd get a nice contrast with the brick columns and it would go up faster, saving you labor costs in the long run. Although the material costs might be the same 2K. :wacko:

Edited by SteelBunz

Dunno, but beautiful house bro. Is your house set back in the woods, like a semi long drive through the woods with the opening your house sits on? That's what I want.

It's tucked in the corner of the L-shaped woods. It's cleared on that one side and the front. Worst thing was the septic tank. If my lot is a football field, then we had to build on the 25 yard line because of it. The majority of the acreage is woods.

tack up some chicken wire and keep your hounds under the porch.

You hurt the hound's feelings...he has a little fenced in yard to roam about. :wacko:

I used that new vinyl lattice across the back porch. I don't like the looks of that stuff though. It's too flimsy and gives too much of a "wavy" effect. I had to tack it up extra good to get rid of that. I think I'll just use the wood on the front and paint it white. Probably look better in the long run.

It's tucked in the corner of the L-shaped woods. It's cleared on that one side and the front. Worst thing was the septic tank. If my lot is a football field, then we had to build on the 25 yard line because of it. The majority of the acreage is woods.

You hurt the hound's feelings...he has a little fenced in yard to roam about. :wacko:

I used that new vinyl lattice across the back porch. I don't like the looks of that stuff though. It's too flimsy and gives too much of a "wavy" effect. I had to tack it up extra good to get rid of that. I think I'll just use the wood on the front and paint it white. Probably look better in the long run.

Get high quality lattice or make it yourself. Not hard at all with a few tools.

Timmer......the brick alone is going to cost you at least 2K.

I dunno......the brick columns look so elegant. It would be a shame to have them "disappear" by bricking the whole thing. But you're right.....that's way too much lattice to be very pretty. How about something along the lines of a vertical tongue and groove southern yellow pine? If you prefer to have something maintenance-free.....look for a composite material.

Just seems like going this route, you'd get a nice contrast with the brick columns and it would go up faster, saving you labor costs in the long run. Although the material costs might be the same 2K. :wacko:

plus 1

• 2 months later...

I decided to go with this setup...it's got a nice frame with the lattice in the middle. I'm going to do a white frame with the clay (to match the house color) vinyl lattice. I bought some wood and did a test run on Sunday for one section to play around with it before jumping in. I'm glad I did since I need to change some things from those instructions.

I've decided to use 1x4 instead of 1x6 on the frame. 1x6 would work on the tall end of my sloped yard, but on the shorter end, there would be no lattice showing with a thick piece of board like a 1x6 being used.

Also, the connector plates they recommended are very expensive. Half my budget would be these metal plates. They still aren't as sturdy as I'd like so I pulled out the router and trimmed off half the vertical 1x4 and half the horizontal 1x4 where they meet and will glue and nail these. That should be a tighter bond than just butting the two ends together.

Lastly, I went out and bought a router table today. :wacko: I've always used my router by hand and never tried real precision cuts. This is gonna be awesome.

I think it'll look real nice and clean. Especially once it's landscaped in front of it all.