[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vertigo put me in the ER last night

Menudo

So, last night, I got home from a business trip and was playing with my son for about an hour or so. We were rolling around and stuff, and everything was great. Then, I tried to stand up, and at first, thought I was just dizzy from playing with my son, but, then the room started spinning around me very quickly, and I felt like I couldn't get my arms or legs to function. I honestly thought I was having a stroke. I called out to my wife and she came over and helped me stand up. After about 30 seconds, the severity went down, but, I still felt like the room was spinning. I tried to walk, and my balance was off and I could barely make it to the couch. When I sat down, I felt like I was drunk, the room was completely spinning around me. My wife wanted me to go to the ER, bu, I'm stubborn and said I wanted to lie down to see if it would go away on its own. After an hour and a half, I felt exactly the same and started to get worried that something serious was wrong, so, we went to the ER.

After the usual ER wait, they checked my Blood Pressure & pulse when I was sitting and then compared it to when I was standing. All checked out fine. The Dr. came in and examined me, and found nothing serious to worry about. They sent me off for a catscan, and the results came back normal. The Dr. told me that I was suffering from vertigo caused by fluid in my inner ear. He prescribed me with medicine (can't remember the name right now) and told me that I needed to stay off my feet and rest for 2-3 days and it should fix itself. As of now, one night later, I still feel exactly the same. It is not fun to deal with, but, I feel better since the Dr. ruled out a stroke or anything serious. So, has anyone experienced this and has some wisdom ? I'm really hoping this goes away soon. :wacko:

I was diagnosed with vertigo about 10 years ago. A little different then yours, when it would hit me it was quick maybe 5 secondes, and then gone. Various things would bring it on. Getting up from sitting, things where my head would move in some way. It was hard to avoid too as a lot of times it was simple things like turning my head to talk to someone, and the whole world went into a spin and I'd have to grab onto something or I was going down. This went on for months. Hopefully yours is different this way too.

I'd heard flying can bring it on or aggravate it. Not sure if that's true. :wacko:

I had one episode a few months ago, it was brief but awful. Got up middle of the night to use the bathroom. While washing my hands at the sink it hit me. It wasn't so much a room spinning feeling as I couldn't hold my head up...or I felt like I couldn't hold my head up. It was like fainting only I didn't really lose consciousness. Did manage to whack my head on the doorframe though. :wacko:

Apparently there's the kind where everything outside you spins and the kind where you feel like you're moving even if you're not. Weird.

Get better soon.:D

I feel your pain, Menudo! It was by far the worst experience of my life! When it hit me I got so scared I called 911. I was so dizzy I was unable to stand or walk for three days. I stayed on the couch at my apartment because it was the shortest crawl to the bathroom . I missed three weeks of work. On a positive note, that was over ten years ago and was (hopefully) a once in a lifetime event! The way it was explained to me is that it was caused by one of two things: 1) an inner ear problem or 2) a viral infection. Either way all you can just mask the symptoms and wait for it to go away. I really hope hope you get better soon because I know exactly how you feel! :wacko:

Edited by sunysteelfly76

My wife gets vertigo. I'm no doctor, but i believe her's is related to a buildup of fluid in the inner ear which then puts pressure on the optic nerve. The doctor prescribed her a diuretic to help relieve the fluid buildup and thus the pressure. Is this what your doctor prescribed? The doctor also told her that eating foods high in sodium can increase the liklihood of an episode. Been eating a lot of chinese lately?

my wife deals with vertigo and it is horrible when it hits her...for her it is just a wait it out type deal and like i said its not pleasant :wacko:

feel better

edit: hmmmm maybe it is FF husbands that cause it(see Billay)

Edited by keggerz

I had it about 10-12 years ago also, and my reaction was the same as above. It lasted about 3 days as I woke up on the third day in a cold sweat and it was gone. My boss' wife had it for 3 weeks and a friend of mine's Dad had it chronically, many years! He had to take daily meds, but lived a pretty normal life. Good luck!

sorry to hear it Menudo....hope you are feeling better.

i've had shorter, not as intense, episodes that throw off my equilibrium. they can be mild but last

a day or two, never caused by a viral infection but by wax build up in the ear that traps water/fluid

in the ear canal. swimming can trigger it as can a blast right in the ear from the shower.

i've noticed that if i turn my head to one side (maybe laying down) the 'water' will flow to that side

and the spinning/dizzies will stop. try that.

when it happens to me, i've noticed that turning my head in one direction, could be any direction depending on the episode,

triggers it. if i tough it out and let it flow to that side, the spinning usually stops and i just stay still in that position.

i.e. lay on your side to watch the Steelers game :wacko:

did you ever try ear candling?

i've done it to myself, had it done to me and did it on my infant son, all with good results.

read about it first. the doctors will tell you it's hocus pocus but it worked for me and friends.

feel better.

Had the exact thing happen to me about 15 years ago. THe doctor called it "Labrynthitis".

I couldn't stand or sit up, it was like I on an endless roller coaster without the fun. My toddler daughter thought it was the funniest thing she had ever seen, "Daddy's coughing in the trash can!" :wacko:

Anyhoo, the Doc had my wife triple dose me with Benedryl. It knocked me out and when I woke up, it was over. :D

Edited by cre8tiff

I'm sorry you are having this problem. :wacko:

Most patients that I've seen with the sudden onset of dizzyness are caused by a viral infection of the inner ear. Meclizine is what I usually prescribe. It is an antihistamine that relieves dizzyness while your ear is healing. Usually the dizzyness is gone in a week, but sometimes it can take much longer to completely subside.

Thanks for the kind words and past experiences. I've felt a bit better each day. I'm still slightly dizzy, which is great compared to where I was Thursday night. I'm getting some headaches, as the dizziness fades, but, I think that is a good thing. So far, so good on the improvement.

Just saw this. Any ringing in your ear(s)? I have Meniere's disease. Ringing or dull roar in one ear and terrible dizzy spells lasting until I either puke or fall asleep. It came about around 20 years ago and was awful. After a couple years, the dizzy spells went away without medication, but I have permanent hearing loss and ringing in my right ear. My dizziness never lasted more than an hour or so, so I hope this is not what you have. Hope you're feeling better.

Just saw this. Any ringing in your ear(s)? I have Meniere's disease. Ringing or dull roar in one ear and terrible dizzy spells lasting until I either puke or fall asleep. It came about around 20 years ago and was awful. After a couple years, the dizzy spells went away without medication, but I have permanent hearing loss and ringing in my right ear. My dizziness never lasted more than an hour or so, so I hope this is not what you have. Hope you're feeling better.

Geez, Whoop...that sounds nasty. 20 years??? My best to you.