[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting a chihuahua...

Puddy

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puddy, just curious... did your wife do any research on this dog breed? If so, what are her lines of reasoning for wanting them?

I hope you just didn't tell her "the guys at The Huddle think I'm ghey because we're getting these" as the main reason for not getting the dogs.

The bottom line is, there are a few other small breed dogs that will require much less attention and will be much better pets. You obviously don't want to make the Mrs. mad, but this is a hugh investment, both in time and money, that could turn out ugly. Make sure everyone's done their due diligence.

:wacko:

There are no words. :D:D

To admit it here says something about you. untateve?

I don't know why he doesn't get a manly dog like my Westie :wacko:

I had a Westie. He is /was (the ex has/had him) a great dog. Smart. Friendly. Well behaved. He was great with kids. Didn't act like a small dog (they are very stocky and strong). Loved to chase squirrels. He caught and killed a couple of rabbits (they were bred to be ratters.)

If I was walking him, the wimmens would flock to him. Hell, it was funny to watch the contractors that were working on the house and various tough guys pet him and talk to him. The bikers at the Harley fest loved him.

I've never seen anything like it.

:wacko: to Chihuahua info.

I have had very different experiences with this dog. I like them, which for me is surprising since the only other small dog breed I like are Dachshund.

The "shivering" that people talk about is a dietary thing, not from being nervous. Ask you vet about proper supplements to stop this from happening.

These dogs can also suffer from "small dog syndrome". This is caused by owners who generally let little dogs get away with behavior that they would not tolerate from larger breeds. These are VERY assertive animals and need strong, yet gentle application of "the law". They are very aggressive to other animals, especially other dogs if not socialized properly and need to be around A LOT of people from an early age to reduce the nippiness and aggression to strangers. Because of their small size, they tend to get spoiled by their female owners and treated like a doll more than a pet. THIS IS A HUGH ERROR! They are generally spunky and involved when socialized properly.

They also can be a little tough to house train, and many owners give up and simple paper train them. I have not heard about the teeth thingy with this breed, but know that ALL DOGS should have their teeth brushed and cleaned regularly. Believe me, the expense and effort up front is a lot less that the Vet bills that you will face later on.

Also, just because they are small, doesn't mean they should be carried around everywhere. Especially the Chihuahua! As a small breed dog, it is very energetic. If you don't burn that energy on a daily basis with a walk or other exercise, they can get very high-strung and hard to deal with just like larger, high energy breeds.

Just like in other threads, the owner has a major role in how the dog ultimately behaves and interacts with the world around it. This is one dog that takes a lot of effort to get it going in the right direction. Just because they are "small" doesn't mean you can just get two because it can't be that much more difficult. It doesn't matter if it is two Great Danes or two Chihuahuas, getting two dogs at the same time is more than two times the work and responsibility. Get one at a time, and if you want a second, get a female first, breed it, make some money on the puppies (maybe) and keep the one you like best. The mom will innately "take" to the presence of her offspring.

Puddy, just curious... did your wife do any research on this dog breed? If so, what are her lines of reasoning for wanting them?

I hope you just didn't tell her "the guys at The Huddle think I'm ghey because we're getting these" as the main reason for not getting the dogs.

The bottom line is, there are a few other small breed dogs that will require much less attention and will be much better pets. You obviously don't want to make the Mrs. mad, but this is a hugh investment, both in time and money, that could turn out ugly. Make sure everyone's done their due diligence.

+ 1000

If you want a small dog, I would suggest the Dachshund.

I had one for 15 years and she was a tremendous dog. These are about as "manly" a small dog as you can get as well. They are a hunting dog and have a big dog personality in a small package. She completely changed my perception on small dogs as companions.

They are a German breed, bred to go into badger holes and pull the badger out of their den so the hunter could kill the badger (hence the long shape and short legs). The "doxie" is a digger, and amazingly strong for their size, so if you have a garden that you cherish, you have to lay down the law on where digging is OK and not. Also keep an eye on the fence line because they will dig/go right under it to get out and explore the world. These dogs are good gun dogs if you expose them early (like all gun dogs), and where used not only to hunt badgers (very mean animals, "Dachs" means "badger" in German). They have also been used for deer hunting in thick brush and forests. Since they are small and close to the ground, they can move quickly under this terrain as opposed to pushing through it. Great dogs with lots of stamina, I would take her on day long hikes and never worry about having to carry her.

There are few dogs I have been around as family oriented and affectionate as the Dachshund. Mine would rather lay on the floor, touching as many people's feet as she could as opposed to being on one person's lap (where she was if there was only one person around).

If you notice the classifications in the last two links, the Chihuahua is a "toy" breed, where the Dachshund is a "hound". I would rather have a good 'ol hound dog ANY day of the week!

I was half joking about her getting mad if we don't get that breed. To be honest, her initial line of reasoning was because they were tiny. However, we've done a decent amount of research since then and we are pretty comfortable with the decision. I have a magazine dedicated to the breed with some good information and have visited some websites. My biggest concern is my 6 year-old son. From what I understand the chihuahua really takes to older well behaved children. My 14 year-old daughter fits that description, while my son is somewhat rambunctious. I will work with him on the importance of handling the dog properly from day one.

Regardless of the gheyness, I'm actually looking forward to bringing her home.

McBoog -

Thanks for the information. What you have said here is similar to what I've been hearing and reading. One question?

We were planning on potty training the dog to strictly use 'pads' indoors instead of going outside. The area will be in the basement laundry room. Figured this would be easier to keep clean and we don't have to deal with a dog getting lost in a foot of snow trying to use the bathroom in the winter. Do you think this is a bad idea?

Oh and I doubt we'll be getting two to start. That idea is actually mine, not my wife's. May just add one later if we feel the need.

+ 1000

If you want a small dog, I would suggest the Dachshund.

I had one for 15 years and she was a tremendous dog. These are about as "manly" a small dog as you can get as well. They are a hunting dog and have a big dog personality in a small package. She completely changed my perception on small dogs as companions.

They are a German breed, bred to go into badger holes and pull the badger out of their den so the hunter could kill the badger (hence the long shape and short legs). The "doxie" is a digger, and amazingly strong for their size, so if you have a garden that you cherish, you have to lay down the law on where digging is OK and not. Also keep an eye on the fence line because they will dig/go right under it to get out and explore the world. These dogs are good gun dogs if you expose them early (like all gun dogs), and where used not only to hunt badgers (very mean animals, "Dachs" means "badger" in German). They have also been used for deer hunting in thick brush and forests. Since they are small and close to the ground, they can move quickly under this terrain as opposed to pushing through it. Great dogs with lots of stamina, I would take her on day long hikes and never worry about having to carry her.

There are few dogs I have been around as family oriented and affectionate as the Dachshund. Mine would rather lay on the floor, touching as many people's feet as she could as opposed to being on one person's lap (where she was if there was only one person around).

If you notice the classifications in the last two links, the Chihuahua is a "toy" breed, where the Dachshund is a "hound". I would rather have a good 'ol hound dog ANY day of the week!

I would agree that a Daschund is a good little dog to own. However, I still say if she likes the look and size of a Chihuahua that a Toy Fox Terrier is the way to go. The one we own is VERY family oriented but not very friendly to strangers.

I am probably way off on this - but I have always found all artificially small dogs as head cases... with Chihuahua looking down on the other mini-dogs from their ivory tower atop that list, but I am another one of those anti-pure-breed nazis.

have you picked them up yet, Puddy? I haven't been watching the dates on these posts.

McBoog -

Thanks for the information. What you have said here is similar to what I've been hearing and reading. One question?

We were planning on potty training the dog to strictly use 'pads' indoors instead of going outside. The area will be in the basement laundry room. Figured this would be easier to keep clean and we don't have to deal with a dog getting lost in a foot of snow trying to use the bathroom in the winter. Do you think this is a bad idea?

Oh and I doubt we'll be getting two to start. That idea is actually mine, not my wife's. May just add one later if we feel the need.

One of the things about little dogs is that they have little bladders. There is a surface to volume ratio that can not be ignored. The immediate availability of a "potty place" is what causes accidents with small dogs. They simply cannot hold it as long as bigger dogs. If you have a place that can get "stinky" without everyone getting grossed out (sort of like trying to find the right spot for a cat box), then pad training is an excellent option. The big advantage here is that you are totally mobile. The dog can really travel with you anywhere and will know that those pads are "their place" independent of where you are. You should still take her out and walk her as often as possible so that she can mark her zones and get used to going outside as well. Sometimes dogss that are trained to a pad will hold it until they get INSIDE to their pads. A doggy door to a fenced backyard is great too! With small dogs, the door is relatively small.

Once she has used the pads, take one or two of the used pads outside and place them in an area/areas where her "going" is going to be acceptable to you as a family/homeowner. This will teach her and get her in the habit of using only those areas (eventually you remove the pads once a habit is established if you choose to try this as well). It was easier in San Diego since we don't have harsh winters. The pads that have the "smell" in them already are amazing! The only time my Dachshund had indoor accidents is when it was really crappy outside and she didn't want to get wet. I wish that I had "pad" trained her as well. Doing both will save you money on the pads as they don't get used up as fast. I DO NOT like paper training personnally. It is not that absorbent and is much messier to deal with.

Good luck and make sure you establish that "Alpha Leader" position and have EVERYONE in the family establish the same dominance over the dog. This is especially important with small dogs because we tend to forget that they are psychologically the same as bigger ones. This is some good info on "Small Dog Syndrome". Check it out. I have also liked the work and methods of Cesar Millan (yes, that "dog whisperer" dude) :D He has some great techniques and suggestions for owners of small dogs. He even had an episode where he had to deal with a totally out of control Chihuahua (See "Chihuahuas from Hell", Jan 30 at 8 p.m. on Nat Geo Channel).

Oh, and the idea of one at a time is the right choice. :D Breed your new girl if you want another puppy and keep the one you like. Some breeders will force you to sign a "spay" agreement and will not surrender the AKC papers until you have proof that the animal has been "fixed". If the papers are not important to you, then you can breed her anyway, but the problem is that it is harder to sell puppies of a purebred that do not have papers. People are often willing to pay extra for the pedigree and fetch a higher price. Make sure that you clarify that before you buy your puppy. For a purebred Chihuahua, I think $600 is very reasonable, even "suspiciously" so. I have see them as high as $1,500 to $2,000 for a pup with papers. If the papers are important to you, make sure they are authentic and ask to see them and the papers of the parents (and grandparents) if available. Then again, the lower price may be and indication of a hurting economy as well :wacko::D .

Once again, good luck and Happy New Year! :D

$600, dammm. I got mine (no papers) for about $100. If you haven't got one already, take a look at the Long Haired variety. That's what I have. reat little dog.

The one I have is on the bigger side, about 8 Lbs. I would avoid the tiny ones. McBoog's comments are dead on.... Socialize the dog early.

There are no words. :wacko::D

To admit it here says something about you. untateve?

I had a Westie. He is /was (the ex has/had him) a great dog. Smart. Friendly. Well behaved. He was great with kids. Didn't act like a small dog (they are very stocky and strong). Loved to chase squirrels. He caught and killed a couple of rabbits (they were bred to be ratters.)

If I was walking him, the wimmens would flock to him. Hell, it was funny to watch the contractors that were working on the house and various tough guys pet him and talk to him. The bikers at the Harley fest loved him.

I've never seen anything like it.

Yeah they are stocky and strong...... Not long after we got him(we rescued him from a pound) I found a suirrel tail with a patch of skin at the base of it laying in the backyard.... No sign of a body so I think there's a tailless squirell running around our neighborhood, lol.

Yeah they are stocky and strong...... Not long after we got him(we rescued him from a pound) I found a suirrel tail with a patch of skin at the base of it laying in the backyard.... No sign of a body so I think there's a tailless squirell running around our neighborhood, lol.

No. The dog ate the rest of the squirell. My lurcher is an expert squirly hunter, as I call them, and if she catches one and I don't know about it, all I find is the tail. They won't eat the tail for whatever reason, but the rest? Yup, head, bones, feet... they eat it all. The fur gets wrapped around the small bones, and passes the digestive tract without damage because the bones are wrapped in fur.

Small game hunting canines go for the neck... a few very fast head whips, and the rat with the furry tail is dead, broken neck, broken back. Then they eat them in a matter of a minute ot two, that's all it takes. I'm not in the habit of examining dog chit, but if your dog got a squirell, it will be fairly evident.

You have a killer on your hands. :wacko:

Walking the dog has a lot more benefits than just having the Dog relieve themselves. I dont practice what I am preaching here but walking the Dogs really helps them from an exercise and getting them used to people and other dogs aspect. I would suggest even if you go the paper route for potty traning that you mix in walks with the dog.

Walking the dog has a lot more benefits than just having the Dog relieve themselves. I dont practice what I am preaching here but walking the Dogs really helps them from an exercise and getting them used to people and other dogs aspect. I would suggest even if you go the paper route for potty traning that you mix in walks with the dog.

But he's not getting a dog