[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is This a Subway Moneymaking scam?

jaxfactor

So I go to Subway today, not that the constant commercials coaxed me into it. I have a $10 gift card and was getting 2 $5 footlongs, one for now and one for lunch tomorrow. I hand the dude the card and another $5 as the total was $10.70. After taking my $5, he says, "thank you" and that's that. I ask where my change is and he says he put it on my card. I said that I didn't want it on the card that I wanted the change($4.30). He says he can't do that as he needs his manager to get it authorized. I ask why he put the change on the card and he said he assumed that's where I wanted it. We all know what happens when you assume. I told him he assumed wrong and that I want my change. There was someone behind me and I told him to just get in the drawer for that customer's change, give me my change, and I'll give you the card back. Once again he said he couldn't do this without his manager's authorizaion. I'm not a cheap bastage, but what's up with that? Is this a scam to get more of your business? I could have been a real PIA and asked him to call his manager, but the kid really had no clue which is why I think this might be the policy at Subway to get more of your business. Once the money is on the card, you have to use it at Subway, where the change I could use wherever I wanted.

So did I get a $5 footlong up the arss or am I just being nit-picky? I don't really care about $4.30, but it's beside the point. Subway might just have this as policy to get more business so in essence, everyone that uses a gift card does indeed get a $5 fottlong up the arss.

What would you have done?

Sounds like a scam to me. I would bet that it is SOP unless the Customer specifically asks. I would of been a bastage and forced the kid to call the Manager.

You should also write a letter of complaint to Corporate.

That is such a bullpoopy move on Subways part....

You should have ordered a third sub to use up the (now) remaining balance on the card, then told the kid you didn't hane the extra 70 cents ... just to see if he had to call his manager to find out what he was supposed to do with that situation.

You should have ordered a third sub to use up the (now) remaining balance on the card, then told the kid you didn't hane the extra 70 cents ... just to see if he had to call his manager to find out what he was supposed to do with that situation.

:wacko: Believe it or not, this thought actually occured to me. In hindsight I should have.

:wacko: Believe it or not, this thought actually occured to me. In hindsight I should have.

And - if he balked at giving you that sub w/o the 70 cents, you could have asked him to just remove 70 cents worth of lettuce, tomato & mayo to make it even.

:D

I would have told him to cut 70 cents of the 3rd sub off and call it even..

Then I woulda probably slung it across the room and told him "now your a janitor" clean this crap up..lol.. OK so I would never sling the sub but its the thought that counts

Gotcha, I assumed when you said it was another $5 you meant another card. I think the guy was probably confused like me.

Ah, but you assumed.....haven't you learned anything from this thread?

:wacko:

Sounds like a scam to me. I would bet that it is SOP unless the Customer specifically asks. I would of been a bastage and forced the kid to call the Manager.

You should also write a letter of complaint to Corporate.

That is such a bullpoopy move on Subways part....

absolutely...no way I leave that place with my change on that card

Similiar experience except at a department store. Wife and I were given a VISA gift card. We used it at a department store and our change was placed on THEIR gift card. I asked for change(money) and was told that any non-store gift cards used there with a balance is issued their store gift card with remaining balance. Asked for manager and was told that was store policy. Then asked them to void transaction. They then tried to give me the original amount on THEIR gift card. I told them NO either the cash or the orginal gift card and its amount. The manager disappears and after a few minutes appears with forms to fill out to get cash back as they couldn't add the amount back onto original card. Took about 45 minutes but pure BS IMO to get you to shop at their store :wacko:

Edited by boat_hacked

Ah, but you assumed.....haven't you learned anything from this thread?

:wacko:

There policy is messed up and/orwhen the manager told his young minimum wage workers that "you can't give change off a gift card" the "sandwich artist" didn't take this "unique" circumstance into consideration.

Kind of like trying to order and extra Sausage McMuffin Value Meal without egg from McDonalds: "We don't have a Sausage McMuffin without egg Value Meal."

Edited by bushwacked

There policy is messed up and/orwhen the manager told his young minimum wage workers that "you can't give change off a gift card" the "sandwich artist" didn't take this "unique" circumstance into consideration.

Kind of like trying to order and extra Sausage McMuffin Value Meal without egg from McDonalds: "We don't have a Sausage McMuffin without egg Value Meal."

Actually, Subway pays there Sandwich artists better than any other "fast food" business. They average $10+ to start.

Similiar experience except at a department store. Wife and I were given a VISA gift card. We used it at a department store and our change was placed on THEIR gift card. I asked for change(money) and was told that any non-store gift cards used there with a balance is issued their store gift card with remaining balance. Asked for manager and was told that was store policy. Then asked them to void transaction. They then tried to give me the original amount on THEIR gift card. I told them NO either the cash or the orginal gift card and its amount. The manager disappears and after a few minutes appears with forms to fill out to get cash back as they couldn't add the amount back onto original card. Took about 45 minutes but pure BS IMO to get you to shop at their store :wacko:

Same deal for us yesterday. My little girl took back two items that she got from her aunt to Toys R Us. They took the two items and "boom", said the credit is back on the card you used to make the purchase. I said wait a minute. That is not my card and these were gifts from her aunt. We have the original reciept and we want a credit to use in the store right now. She says that I should have told her that before she hit the button. I said you should have ask me before you hit any button. Long story short is that it took close to an hour to get a manager to void the credit and give us a credit we could spend right there in the store. But since they put up such a hassel I demanded cash. That really pissed off the manager. We still ended up spending it right then and there plus a few of my dollars but that was total BS.

Oh and Jax, that deal at Subway is BS. That kid just didn't know what the hell he was doing, IMHO.